Posts by b9788217979d0d8344db4da45919913948c2ac74

Great that it seems to work now. Why it only works with one modulation on a Sound, I don't know unfortunately.

I agree that drawing automation curves is far more comfortable in LPX than it is in Maschine. Maybe this article helps to find out how to create curves and such: https://ask.audio/articles/logic-automation-tips-tricks

If you are using different patterns within a Sound to create the different parts in Maschine, you will not be blocked. You have endless Groups which each contain 16 Sounds which each contain 16 Patterns (or even more, I don't recall). Here's what I would do:

• Let's say you want to have 4 program changes sent over the time of a song to the KPA. Use one Sound in Group A1 and create 4 Patterns in that sound. Each pattern holds the program change MIDI message.
    • Let's say furthermore that you want some Wah-automation in the 3rd part of your song. Use a second Group (B1) and again one Sound and create 1 Pattern holding the Wah-Automation to be sent to the KPA.
    • Then arrange the patterns in Maschine's Song-view to create the arrangement:

I have now taken two profiles (DI and Studio) exactly how it's described in the KPA's Profiling Manual then compared the merged profile with the Studio one. They are very very close in tone, but not exactly the same. The merged seems to have less highs and a little less low-end. I even don't know which one I like better :-).

For now, I'll blame the difference to the DI box which might impart some colour as you've said earlier, Michael_dk. I'll leave it like this for know until I get a different (better) DI box to see if things change with that.

Thanks for your support!

Hey michael_dk,

you're pretty much spot on with your guessing, I've just added the connection to the speaker in the DI profile setup:

Direct Amp profile : amp's speaker output -> PAN-01 input -> PAN-01 XLR output -> Mic preamp -> Kemper return (or whatever KPA input is used, can't remember). In parallel: PAN-01 link output -> Physical Cabinet

Studio profile: amp's speaker output -> PAN-01 input -> PAN-01 Link output -> Physical Cabinet -> Mic -> Mic preamp -> Kemper return (or whatever KPA input is used, can't remember)

So yes, I have the physical cabinet connected when doing the DI profile. But it's only for keeping my tube amp safe and make it react to the impedance curve of the cabinet.

I will leave the Mic Preamp out of the chain for the DI profile. A DI box has a mic-level output, so I will need some sort of mic preamp but I will use the Kemper internal one to see if it makes any difference.

I now have successfully managed to change slots within performances or switch to another performances on the KPA by selecting different patterns on Maschine. Patterns can be arranged in Maschine, so you can "automate" the KPA from Maschine's arrangement.

My way to go here is to skip the Logic Pro X part and do it directly in Maschine.

As I am writing this I think I missed something about your problem, because in the end it's pretty easy:

• Add the modulator "Program Change" to the pattern. No Macro-assignments or any "special sauce".
    • Draw in a MIDI CC message right at the beginning of the pattern. You won't see the actual value in edit mode, but if you switch to select mode (the pencil-icon turns grey) you can see the actual value. The formula is #Performance x 5) - 5 + (#Slot - 1)
      Basically you start counting at 0 for Performance 1/Slot 1. To go to Performance 2/Slot 1, the value is 5, Performance 3 is 10 and so on.
    • With just Program Change (no Bank Select) messages you can address the first 25 Performances and each of their Slots.
    • Hit Play on Maschine and whatever pattern you have selected will select the Performance/Slot you've given in the Program Change CC.

The Program Change value "3" (see tooltip below) selects Performance 1, Slot 4:

And as a tip, I would separate program changes and controller sweeps (like automated Wah movements) into different Sound slots in Maschine.

Yes, I am comparing the Studio profile (/w cabinet section) and the DI (/w the merged cabinet section) with the cabinet section engaged on both.

And I had the DI in the chain when making the Studio profile as well. But for the Studio profile making the signal went from the input to the link output (basically routed straight through), while for the DI profile it went from the input to the XLR-output and then into my external mic-preamp.

Maybe I should skip my mic preamp when making the DI profile and go directly into the KPA?

Oh... Ok... I missed that you have already been on the output settings page of the Sound. Sorry for that.

Now I have tried to recreate your setup on my side. I can only recreate the absence of the Maschine hardware MIDI output port if I unplug the USB-cable to the Maschine controller from my Macbook. If the controller is disconnected, the Maschine software shows the virtual output only. As soon as I connect the controller (even with the Preferences page kept open), two additional ports - including the MIDI output port - show up.

Actually, first I had the controller connected but the port did not show up. The error has been that I the USB cable had been bad somehow and the controller got powered but did not do what it should do.

Controller disconnected:

Controller connected:

I just recently tried to do a Merged profile by doing a Studio profile and then a DI profile with the very same setup and then creating a Merged profile by copying over the Cab portion from the Studio profile into the DI profile (having "Merged" checked).

My expectation has been that the Merged profile would sound the very same as the Studio profile, but there are small but significant differences. Am I doing something wrong here?

I am using a Palmer PAN-01 DI box and needed to engage the -30 dB pad to not overdrive the Kemper's input.

It looks as if you have the cabinet switched off. The sound you're getting should be quite brittle, harsh and piercing.

I am not in front of my KPA at the moment, so I cannot instantly tell you what exact buttons to press. But I'd start with a long-press on the CABINET button to see if you can turn something on here which is currently off.

I have a DT770 Pro and I love it with my KPA, so the DT990 should do as well or better.

We'll sort that out for you, be sure!

So... My screenshot shows the track-individual MIDI out settings not the global settings.

To go there, open the Maschine Software, go to the Group (in Maschine-speak: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H) where the track with the Kemper-MIDI is (in my screenshot it's "Group A1"). Select the Sound (aka Track) where the actual MIDI is located (in my screenshot, it's "Sound 1"). Then select the icon with the volume knob (in my screenshot, it's just left of "MASTER" and it's white). This opens the settings for that Sound. Then click on the "Output" icon and then click on the tab "MIDI" to the right of it. Now select "Maschine Mk2 Out" in the dropdown box to let the MIDI go out of that hardware-MIDI-port.

The purpose of this is to route the MIDI from this particular track out to the MIDI interface. For each and every track (aka "Sound") in Maschine, you can specify where the MIDI should go. The default is the internal virtual instrument on this track. You know, the company is called "Native Instruments", so it's understandable that their defaults are targeted towards the native software stuff. Therefore you have to explicitly tell it to spit the MIDI out the hardware MIDI interface.

And I am NOT talking about the global MIDI settings you have described earlier. These are necessary as well, but only half of the equation.

It's a not very straight-forward, so I totally understand that you might have problems following my description. So don't hesitate to ask.

I dig it! Same riff, quad-tracked like you describe. I'd probably low-pass it for a mix, but it's solid, if a little harsh on the high end. I've also enjoyed playing your profile with the famous 1960AV cab from LARS, lots of fun, sounds great too, as so many know.

Great work Holger, again!

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Sick \m/! Those two profiles seem to work together nicely. The quad-tracking added quite some extra heft to the already b*-kicking riff. And good work, Locrian. I know how hard it can be (at least for me...) to get a tight quad-tracked riff down.

I have added a high-pass, 10K low-pass and a little dip @4K in the EQ on the FX section. This should make the profile more "mix ready". The highpass is at a pretty low frequency, because I am assuming down-tuned guitars that walk over any bass anyways ;-).

I just recently uploaded two Dual Rectifier / OD808 (clone) / Mesa 4x12 Vintage 30's / SM57 metal profiles to the Rig Exchange.

Checkout this thread for more info:

Free Mesa Dual Rectifier / OD808 / V30 / SM57 / BAE1073 MP modern down-tuned metal high gain profile

The first track of the demo clips (with "SM57x" in the name) is close to Ola's tone, imo. The guitar tone you hear on the clip is bone dry, directly taken out from the KPA's STACK output. No post-processing (EQ / reverb / whatever) on the rhythm guitar tracks other than a limiter and a bus compressor on the mix bus.

I've added another profile "RiF-DR CH3 Mod OD 1 57x" where the SM57 has been positioned offaxis, angled from the capedge inside to the cap. The tone is slighly darker, but could serve well for quad-tracking (one of each profiles on each side) to beef things up.

Also, I find slightly darker tones more enjoyable for late-night headphone-jamming.