Posts by db9091

I called and asked Mr. Swart how he felt about me profiling his amp and then putting it up on the Free Rig Exchange, and how he would feel if someone even charged for the profile.

He didn't know about the Kemper, so I had to explain it to him. After understanding how the Kemper operated, he said he had no problem with a profile, or using his name on a Free Rig Exchange. He DID have a problem using his name for profit, so if I charged for a rig of a Swart amp, I would have to negotiate the use of "Swart" with him, or else be forbidden to use it.

This isn't even on the radar of most amp manufacturers right now. I doubt Marshall would even care UNTIL they see how good the Kemper is, or the writing on the wall that they might lose money to the Kemper for Commercial rigs of their amps. So in the future, those selling may have to pay for the right to use Marshall's brand name on a rig, or else be barred from using it, having to use derivative or descriptive names, like Kemper does calling a pedal "green".

That said, I only saw one instance where someone bundled up their rigs and made them available, which had some of Andy's stuff on it, and the forum mentioned he shouldn't do that. It was the only instance of sharing a commercial rig, and I am not sure if he paid for it or it was one of Andy44's free ones (non-commercial) but the forum member feedback indicated it was. So there is community monitoring to safeguard the work of people like Andy44.

Now WHY should people PAY for a commercial rig? Because Andy gets the equipment in, uses an expensive chain, and mostly spends a lot of time with setting up the mics and gear and tweaking the results with various pedals. Time = Money, and he has a right to charge. The market will determine if his prices are "fair". That's capitalism. IF the rigs that come with the Kemper, or the Free Exchange rigs were as good or better than Andy's, who would buy them? So he HAS to produce a better product. Micing an amp is an art that takes experience and good equipment. Andy has both. I have decent equipment, and less experience. Andy helped me profile some of my rigs. I put them up for free. All my music and musical work is for free. I work as a Chemist. You want me to do Chemistry for you, I'll charge! ;)

I do have an interesting question about something I came across. Let's say I want to profile my amp. I have to start with a reference. What if I use a Commercial rig as a reference. Yes, my amp is being profiled, but let's say I keep all the effect parameters the same? Can I charge for that, using essentially a commercial rig's settings from the reference?

I was looking for a more complete effects package. I have nice pedals, but I'm looking for something more tidy. A rack effect perhaps.

I looked into special pedals like the Pitchfactor, then the Eventide Eclipse, but kept coming back to the Ultra, which if you are savvy can be had for the same price as a used Eclipse.

I found one for $1200 so I bought it. I'm thinking of putting the Kemper in as a loop, so I can do pre and/or post effects.

The only drawback is the Ultra doesn't have a headphone out, but I have alternatives for that.

Plus, sometimes you want a more digital effect for certain songs that the Kemper doesn't deliver, HA! ;)

No, I was looking for pitch, harmonizer and arpeggiator effects and good routing that the Ultra seems to provide well. I'm hearing that the Axe II's effects aren't really much a step forwards, only it's amp/cab sims. So it seems to make sense to get an older unit if I'm looking primarily for the effects.

I welcome your thoughts.

If you play through one amp only, I don't see much point in the Kemper except for headphone playing.

But if want or need variety, or like me, write songs in a large range, the tonal variety is truly paradise.

That said, while my Amp and most of my guitar cab microphone gear lust is gone, I do still pine for an array of effects. I have nice pedals, but I want it all in one box, like the Eventide or something.

I typically only see Mb used for Modem's, but since I don't deal with NAND Flash specs, I thought it was a typo.

If that's true, then 32MB. Not shabby if true. Might have to change the thread title from "small" to "just adequate"! ;)

It's hard to read the chips from the video. There's a Samsung SDRAM chip, a UC75, but without the numbers, hard to know there.
    There is the one Samsung PCBO chip, but there are so many, it's hard to pin down without reading the full face of the chip.

As to playing, I hear you. But they might have a problem with me doing that at work.

The first electronic (this off wiki) general purpose computer was ENIAC, designed to calculate artillery firing tables.

Probably hard wired. A computer doesn't by definition have to load software, but the Kemper does. It calculates using programmed algorithms. It uses Binary code. It responds to input from the front, and input from plugins (Wah pedal, 1010 boards)

It's patently a computer. This coming from an NSCU Grad in Programming. I knows a computer when I sees one.

If the other poster is correct about 256MB, that is pretty impressive. I'd like that verified tho. Anyone able to find the post?

Ok Fanboi's get it out of your system. You've been wanting to vent your love for this unit. Other boards have lambasted you for your love.
    You've made enemies. Now share with your friends.

Let the Kemper Orgy begin:

01) I could sell my other amps and buy MORE gear with the savings
    02) I can play anytime I want, anywhere there is power to plug it in, and not bother anyone.
    03) I can record in minutes, saving hours of setup time
    04) It sounds freaking real; I don't questions that it sounds real. It just does. I won't have to wait until OS Version 11 to say "NOW it sounds 'real'!" (Don't start WWIII over this comment pleez. I love all gear.)
    05) I can play in the Kemper sandbox with Amp toys I could never have imagined owning, much less got a chance to play. Thanks Andy44!
    06) This Lunch Box is incredibly light and easy to carry around.
    07) It looks freaking AWESOME. Love the chicken-head button. Love the old pastel colour. Green is so calming.
    08 ) Great Retail, Commercial, Forum, and Exchange support for this products.
    09) USB transfer. Simple. And you can even do it with style. Zombie Head Thumbdrive? Lego Thumbdrive? The world is your dongle oyster!
    10) There has to be a 10 in any list: The interface is Large and Easy to Manipulate and So Intuitive, Yeah Man Wow.
    11) Because I have an amp that goes to 11: The Kemper has cured me of Amp and Pedal gear lust. I look at amps and pedals and go "cute, but I'm good for now". It's like I've climbed to the mountain top. I can sit and look around now.
    12) Because I also have owned an amp that went to 12: I can own the sound of 1000+ real amplifier profiles and do things no one could have imagined 45 years ago. Page brought 50 amps into early Zeppelin album sessions? Well, Mr. Page, imagine 1000+! Now where do I purchase those Jimmy Page Chops?

Ok, my 2 minutes is up. Next!

Computer:
    Noun

• An electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program.
    • A person who makes calculations, esp. with a calculating machine.

By that definition, the Kemper most definitely is a computer via definition "1."

We use computers all over the place daily. Engine Control systems for cars. GPS navigation systems. Audio and/or Video Entertainment systems. All legitimate uses of the term "computer" without being ridiculous. Some of them require GB of memory. I get that the Kemper does not. Just curious about it's specs and wondering how it's memory decision was made.

That said, I don't get the illogical assumption that if you ask questions or pose opinions about your gear, you are somehow putting it down. It seems to upset some when you even marginally wonder why your piece of gear isn't shiny on some part.

You should see what I go through on other boards dare I mention I bought the Kemper as a solution to my problems with other gear, and am happy with it. You'd think that I'd killed an Austrian Archduke! ;)