Posts by db9091

Lol! No, I didn't think it entirely got the higher end, so I went back and used a second mic.

THEN it sounded like my amp and I still got one star. Then it bothered me! ;)

You're right though, only those with this amp know what it sounds like, so I gotta go by that.

All my initial profiles were on the "Bright" channel. So I can see where it might not be liked. I have both I put up.

If it has a version like N1.0 is the "Normal" channel and if it's version B1.0 it's "Bright". If it has neither, it's "Bright".

I did initial profiles with one SM57 and got 1 star. Maybe because I didn't drip them heavy with reverb, stereo enhancer, etc which is preferred by many here who probably don't record. (I say this because I'd rather have a dry signal and add effects during mixing to suit)

That said, I could try just the TLM103 and SM57 again in a different position to try to get more of the cone edge.

I will remain to be seen, but I find bright and/or treble oriented guitars track better in a mix than full bodied ones.

Often on those guitars I'm placing EQ all over them, carving out space for voice, taking off anything below 250hz, etc.

We will see. All I CAN say, is it, to my now deaf ears, sounds like the amp to me. I've recorded a bunch of different positions and switched the preamps phase switch this way and that and assume the position with MORE bottom end is in fact the less phased one.

Well, as long as it's enjoyable and/or usable.

Ahh, I gotta laugh.

There is no phasing issues with my other uploads. I was using the "BRIGHT" channel, my favorite channel, so things sound more treble and I can see where that's associated with the thinness of phasing.

I re-recorded a bright channel on clean, and a Normal channel on both Clean and a Crunch setting.

I've also, for my own research, recorded them with the phase button switched, and in a few different positions.

So, I can tell if I got phasing. I DO notice that my profiles do benefit from upping the Bass, Mid and Presence to more closely match my amp's real sound. But that's not to get around phasing, since I'm hearing my own amp through the same microphones.

Sooo, Hope you enjoy. Still open to suggestions. I'm not comfortable yet with doing heavier settings on Normal as to me it sounds muddier than on the Bright channel and I don't like it.

I'll do a front/back with SM57's to know that 's not out of phase.

Thanks for the feed back. I'll change the naming convention to CLEAN (If I can get it) CRUNCH, PUSH and FULL and if there is a variation on effects, I'll use either the version number, or a "+" if there's a difference on the volume inbetween those categories.

I'll try the TLM103 on one just to see if I like the profile better or worse.

I'm working on it now this afternoon.

Without air you have no sound.... 8|

You can have sound with water. Or solids (assuming you can cram it right to your ear drum)

Only a true vacuum has no sound. Or if we remove the human ear, "no series of compression waves"

My point is, 2ms is FAST.

Your guitar sound is about a meter from your ear. That's 1M of space and 3ms delay right there. Does it annoy anyone when they pick that they hear the delay between pick and brain receiving it? Somehow, I think they don't.

Reported ability to detect latency noticeably in sound is past 9ms.

If the guy with the DAW is experiencing such poor latency, additive or not, it's his soundcard most likely (or it's setting) I have a dedicated DAW and the latency is undetectable. Computer DAW's are mostly caused by their soundcards or settings. I've almost ALWAYS had to buy a new and better soundcard since stock computers often come with poor ones.

So in talking about your latency problem, you need to list the whole signal chain so someone can suggest a fix, because I am telling you, the Kemper is NOT the problem, nor can't it be improved much more, as it's a computer with a CPU and A/D,D/A converters that are not instantaneous.

Musicman65 should speak about his setup. Is he going through headphones or his computer's speakers and finding latency there.

Through headphones, there's no noticeable latency. Some patches with effects may appear to have latency.

The ONLY time I've experience problematical latency was through a bad soundcard or badly setup soundcard on my computer. Via direct wires (Direct Out to an Amp or Headphones) I've never ever not even once heard noticeable latency.

Latency of 2.3ms is fabuloso-tastic. If you can hear that you need to call Guinness. Typically most humans can't detect latency below 9 or 10 ms.

Human nerve impulses travel about 100 meters per second. That means the quickest stubbing your toe can register on your brain for someone 2 meters tall is 2 Meters/100M = 0.020s which is 20ms of "latency" to register "PAIN". Minimum of 40ms to move your foot if you have no "think" time.

The latency of the translation and nerve impulse in your head to even think and register it as a recognizable noise is most likely in the 1-2ms range as there has to be at least 0.15M of nerve distance to process that signal I should think (ear is connected to the->Reptilian Brain and the Reptilian brain is connected to the->thinking human OMG that's a slow guitar signal Brain)

Anyone claiming to hear 2.3ms can't be serious. It's something else. Correct me Neuroscientists or Physicists if I'm wrong.

Great amps!
    I think there is a problem with the volumes of miking of the various rigs, especially the swart:
    do not have the right progression, I think they're pretty random.

Thanks anyway for your work :)

Ok, you have to be more specific. What I did was increase the volume, so v2, 3, 4, 5 on one amp is Volume at 3, 7, 8.5, Full open and on the other amp v2,3,4,5,6 is Volume level is 3, 7, 8.5, 10, & 12 (full open, and yes, it goes to 12)

Also, after explaining what you mean by random (so I can address it in my remakes) also suggest a better naming convention that will fit in the space.

it appears to me that the two mics you use have some phasing issues. all your profiles have a slightly thin and hollow character.
    Have you tried profiling the simple way with just one mic?

just my thoughts...thanks for sharing!

8)

Ok, I've done some looking into this. I will retry profiles with 2 setups. One will be 2 SM57's going front and back about 8 inches each. The other will be SM57 at a 45 degree angle facing the bottom rim on the grill and a TLM103 in the room, padded, about 6 feet high and 5 feet away. This is the arrangement Greg V used I think (or close enough, dynamic on grill, condenser 5 feet away on the Crema Wheat)

Which ever combination I like on the volume at 7 (where Crunch begins on these amps) I will stick with that arrangement and feel around for phase issues.

Thanks, both of you for addressing things, and for others, be as painfully specific as you can, so I know what you mean and can act accordingly to "fix" it if possible.

I will check into that. Do a few parameters with mic movement.

I have 1 SM57 that is 12" from the grill and a Fat Head II about 3' from the grill.

I read that Greg V did this with the Fat Head II about 5', so I'll try that (I was concerned with getting too much room)

But you may be right. Thanks for the heads up!

I've done more profiles in increasing gain.

It is better to go:
    Push Gain Profile ----> Gain Down ----> Volume Up if you want a distortion and clean that responds like the amp.

Doing this:
    Clean Profile ----> Gain Up --- is more indicative of Kemper's gain structure than the amps gain structure. So if you pick a clean, stay on it.

If you need versatility, grab a higher gain to start with and roll it back.

So enjoy the Volk's Profiles!

Probably not worth it.

I have the Soundside one's and they are so-so for the most part, a few good ones.

Since the Axe FX II is reported to have undergone a Kemperonian change between V5 and V9, I'd wait until someone does a V9 before wanting to try them.

Did you like that new use of the Creator's name?

On that particular amp setting, it sounds just like the Tungsten Crema Wheat. I had one volume at 3 and the other at 2 and both channels hooked up a la Neil Young if you know what I mean.

Kemper is good at a profile. But so far, the Kemper gain does not mimic the Tungsten gain, so I will have to do more profiles.

Remember, the Kemper is incapable of being your whole amp, only profiling snapshots of it.

That said, Greg V is the best thing that ever happened to any amp he play's manufacturer!

I bought the Crema Wheat after hearing it in Fat Sounds in Cary, NC. I just HAD to have it, and now it's my favorite amp, bar none. Every setting is usable.

BTW, you will not get the Greg V sound on even MY profile if you don't use a guitar similar to his Norcaster. I used my Vintage 52 and it's similar, but I'm sure my pickups are different. So when I "refined" the profile using it, that may make your guitar not sound similar through it, as all good amp (and in this case, profiles) SHOULD do!

Anyone know what pickups are in a Norcaster? Mine are Alnico V's which they stopped putting in 52 RI in 1998 in favor of a truer to vintage Alnico III, or so I read...

I get the impression you didn't like my Swart rig ;(
    Actually after messin with it there may be a bit to much goo on it. It sounds good under my fingers. I was mainly trying ozone profiles with some different amps. I like the carr ones I loaded better.
    I have loaded some clean tone rigs that have 4-5 stars that sound extremely sterile and just plain bad-to me. I actually think some of my favorite semi clean tones are high gain amps with the gain turned down and the compression up. to each his own. So many options
    BTW how do you even vote?

I don't know if I've tried yours. You uploaded Swarts too? Cool! No, I was talking about general votes here and downloaded Amp Factory stuff which seem to have a lot of Hi Gain amps settings and drip with Reverb as if you are to record out of the box (which is cool, but recording Wet is something I've been trained not to do)

How To Vote!
    1) Download a rig
    2) NOW you can click on the number of stars. Not before you download.

What I mean is: when a rig is presented, it can have the Kemper's reverb on it.

So when you load it, if that was how it was "stored" that's how you get it. Yes, you can take it off or adjust it, but I'm talking "as is" for the person who tweaked and put it up.

Also, and I am SURE of this, as I've done it, if you have a microphone that is a few feet away picking up the room, that is how the amp get's profiled.

The difference between an SM57 on the grill versus a profile of an SM57 on the grill + a ribbon mic 3-5 feet away WILL make the profile sound more naturally reverbed, no?

When I A/B the two setups, the first profile is more dry and the second one appears to me to have more room. Maybe I'm using the wrong descriptions.

I'll upload them for you to see. Look for a Tungsten V2.01 which is the SM57 alone. In about a few minutes...

I WOULD appreciate it if Kemper owners would download my rigs (there's only 2) and COMMENT on them.

Good or Bad. What do you like, what don't you like. How could it be improved? (even if it's just the naming convention)

I can handle brutal honesty. If it "sucks" tell me exactly WHY and WHAT you think would improve it.
    That said, if you think a Swart should sound like a Bogner and that's your beef, then stay silent! ;)

I know this about the two rigs:
    1) They have really good crunch, which as V2.0 they are meant to be (my favorite amp setting)
    2) I could yet get a more distinct clean, that will be V1.0, etc.
    3) They sound just like my recording on the same setting to my ears.
    4) They don't distort well with turning up the gain more than a few clicks, but they aren't profiled there (my signal may be initially too strong? Don't know)

TIA for the comments and help.