Posts by db9091

Thanks MonkeyMan!

You have a lot of experience, and deeper, too, so I AM taking notes!

I'll have to figure out how to load those. So far I've just done imports and it is either from a backup or replacing the 4 banks.

I get confused at their naming schema still. Is it a sound or tone? A preset or patch? Even the history of Roland is confused with itself!

I love Omnisphere, but there is nothing like having presets pop up in an instant like the rackmounts can deliver.

My take is that I can put Yamaha in the mix and its just ready. The Integra looks like it wants some filtering unless used as a sole voice (ie Sax on a solo or intro Orchestral)

I like the SOUND of the Yamaha even if the Roland sounds "better" side-by-side. Sort of like, I like Garritan better than EW even though EW sounds better. Something about Garritan sounding more beautiful, peaceful and if I may, more medieval? Maybe b/c it's been used on RPG games! (big Jeremy Soule fan, Morrowind soundtrack especially)

I think Yamaha uses recorded tones. Roland models tones, which is why it seems to take breath expressions better and EW just records many a note to have huge variety and realism of note realization/expression.

What I NEED is a Breath controller. Not the $700 dollar ones. Just something to pop in my mouth as I solo play an instrument. Currently I'm just using the DS-88's joystick (their version of the 2 wheels) which is kind of perfect for this that 2 wheels would be hard to mimic.

Got any advice on Breath controllers? (I used to play Clarinet, so this should be a breeze to use for me)

I've been possessed and on a serious studio upgrade.

I'm gonna have a financial hangover, but f-it. YOLO, am I right?

6176:

So, first things was, I needed a 1176 compressor for my vocal chain (need fast comp paired with slow optical)

But.. I wanted some EQ for Bass and a backup preamp. So I grabbed the 6176. Ouch. But it's a thing of beauty.

Integra-7:

Then I picked up an Integra-7 for the history of Roland to pair with my Motif Rack XS.

Stricktly, the XS doesn't sound as good, but goes in the mix better. And Omnisphere is awesome.

But something about layering PARTS and the easy with which I can pull up orchestral presets may make me keep the thing.

I go back and forth each day, but I think the "keep it" is winning out.

Roland DS-88:

My Yamaha KX88 is finally frizzing. Lowest 4 keys won't work and the electronics are stuck on SPLIT.

So I had to grab some sort of MIDI controller. I need 88 (used to playing piano) and I grabbed a Roland

for it's key feel and compatibility with the Integra. (maybe i am keeping it?)

Now... the Inegra has made me get stupid. I half wanted a Prophet, having played more synths.

But I settled on...

Access Virus TI 61:

Don't have this yet, it's on the way. I got the keyboard not b/c I needed it but party for resale value and partly for wheel integration.

I also had to get a 2-Tier stand for these stupid keyboards. I am interested in diving more into sound creation, but the presets in this thing are like Omnisphere: HUUUUGE. Can't complain about that.

I have gotten an EW Composer subscription and a hard drive of their downloads to see how useful that would be to me. I like it.

But may not keep the subscription. Or get it as needed. I own RA, but TBH the sounds in the Integra or XS are just fine for most compositions.

Or I can grab Garritan Personal Orchestra for cheap if I need something a little more orchestral, but not as exacting as EW. Time will tell.

Also grabbed a few Omnisphere packs.

Normally, I buy stuff outright, but there were a few holiday 0 interest deals that grabbed me. The kid is almost out of college this year, so I can see the horizon. OK, maybe I'll sell a few thing like I always do, but that herd is growing thinner as I settle on what works best. This gear journey is slowing down.

I should be set now for a looong time. There's pretty much nothing I don't have except excuses.

Waves had a few plugins for sale for cheap.

Snagged a Neumann 184 for the acoustic guitar.

Got a cheap MIDI piano for when I'm not at home (Arturia KeyStep) and want to layer some EW stuff or a synth.

Seriously thinking of a WA76 to have a fast limiter before my WA-2A to tame vocal and Bass peaks.

From reading this article, it seems the Kemper was released somewhere between late 2011 to some time in 2012.

https://www.guitar-muse.com/kemper-profiling-amp-2949-2949

My impression was Jan 2012 because I came on in Jan 2013 and that was 1 year later.
    If you look at when Members started, CK, Burkhard,Ingolf, etc, the first adopters made their memberships in Jan 2012.
    We'd have to ask them if any beta testers had it prior, but publicly I think that's the firm month/year.

Nice Studio!

I like the KPA site touch on the macbook, haha!

I have 2 monitors, but only use them when mixing.
    What I've done is put up really nice shots of studio equipment I've owned, want to own, or just look cool (ie lit up buttons in a dark studio)
    and have each monitor display them at 5m per shot, random selection. This way, it looks like I have MORE studio gear, when I'm just practicing
    or listening to music in the studio.

There is that option. I use the KPA with the FX8 for effects.
    If you think the AX8's amps are what you like, it's a no-brainer.

My Brand Loyalty is a direct measure of Kemper's Customer Loyalty. I feel, from direct and observed experience, that Kemper is unique in their support for this product and us as customers.
    Their focus on longevity and continued development rival everyone else without exception.

I don't know how many products people buy in expectation of what it will be in the future. Who buys a car, guitar or lawn mower with what it SHOULD be like in 5 years?
    People SHOULD appreciate the fact that the Kemper is NOT like a smartphone (or Fractal) where you have a new product coming out every 2 years making you feel like
    the old one is not up to snuff.

I buy something based on what it is NOW.
    Either the Kemper serves my needs, or it doesn't.
    If the lack of an Editor was a deal-breaker at the start, i'd move on to another product. Simple as that.

I've had mine since 2013 and it's hand down still the sonic winner. People may think they want a cheaper version, but they already HAVE the "cheaper" version.
    If you bought and kept up with every new Fractal product since 2012, you'd have spent many times the cost of one Kemper. That makes the Kemper very cheap because you don't have to replace it.
    Can you imagine getting your Smartphone and keeping it 6+ years instead of dumping it every 2-3 years? How much money would you have saved?

Where I'd like to see Kemper add-on is an interface within the computer as a VST3 Plugin, so that I can re-amp automatically via USB in my DAW. Or just use the effects. And have it as a visual interface. That would be a really cool modern addition. Or a feature for a future KPA DUO. (which should have wireless guitar ability, ha)

But this product had what I wanted back in 2013. Still has what I want in 2018. The improvements to me were largely user-based profiles. I appreciate the addition of the Rig Manager very much. There's been a ton of new features since then, but I try and keep my workflow simple stupid. More = complex, and more_complex = less_fun.

The KPA is a guitar preamp with effects. That's how I envision it, and that's why I don't get frustrated over what it doesn't have.

Will the Helix still be supported in 5 years? 10 years? Will anyone remember the Fractal AXE FXIII then beyond a museum piece? Kemper will STILL be supporting this Kemper.

Also, for future reference, I find that keeping an image backup harddrive really helps if you do mess it up, or it gets messed up with a virus, etc.

You can setup the laptop to boot from the external drive and reinstall the image back to the hold laptop's drive.

If you intend to do music, this will not only ensure you don't lose stuff (backup) but also let you immediately boot up to your computer from another drive if need be.
    (I got an SSD so it's faster for doing this)

It has saved me a number of times. I even used my MBP to image via Thunderbolt directly to my iMac. So the image is bootable to just about any mac.

It's basically one big heat sink is the word I got from UA. My best friend owns a computer store and he blows out systems all the time with a moderate power air compressor. It works far better than the little canisters.

Thanks @nightlight for the heads up re: SPDIF connections!

I intend to keep mine hooked up hopefully.

Good call on the dust. I have it in a rackmount with a slight slant back and down, so dust can get in there. I guess blow it off once in a while? That thing just gets WAY too hot. Why? IDK.

The shop I got the UA from sent another overnight, so I am back up.

I've been working on a song that is very CPU intensive and when I ported it to my 2015 13" Macbook Pro to mix, it couldn't really handle it well. Lots of stalling when scrolling.

I looked into it and noticed that Benchmark-wise, 4 cores are MUCH better than 2, haha. My iMac's have 4 cores. So I decided to grab a used 2014 15" MBP with 4 Cores, i7 16GB 1TB SSD 2.8 GHz and when that comes, sell mine. It'll be probably a $500 swap cost, but if it handles the mixes like my 2012 iMac which are also 4 core, It will be worth it.

That Apollo 8 I got 3 weeks ago fritzed and I was sent a replacement. It was refurbished, so there is always that chance, and it's under full warranty. Still makes you nervous. But the cost difference between that an New is like $750, still, it's not cheap. I'd expect more quality from UA but personally concerning their hardware I've never seen it.

I'm also not really using the Neve 551 or the BAE 500C so they may go on sale. They are superb units, but I can do an 1176 and EQ in plugins. I don't need them really in a tracking chain. Just a superb preamp and a good sounding compressor and I'm good. (I also have that De-esser which works fantastically, but I haven't needed it. Maybe I should sell the whole 500 series chain) It was a good learning experience for me. In the end, I think I like 19" rackmount gear better, but the 500 series is no slouch. Just over-bought for my needs where plugins CAN do what I need w/o compromise.

Good review, Gary_W!

I also noticed a really nice upgrade in clearer preamp when I had the Clarett for a small while. I thought the mix control software was also fantastically simplified and intuitive compared to the Saffire Pro 24.

Had my own woes yesterday. Went to record, and heard a huge hiss/whine. Turns out it's the Apollo 8. Returning/swapping it. It was a 'refurbished' unit, so I guess it could use more refurbishing.

Nothing supplants choosing gear and using up that trial period.
    Going over the forum stated PROs and CONs to see if they matter to your own workflow.
    The shared profile community for Kemper is such a phenomenal resource that never stops growing. It's so really easy to find that perfect tone almost made for you.
    Real amazing to profile your own gear, too. If anyone tells you that the Fractal can do this, no one should believe one.. word... of.. it. That's just rubbish. BS
    There is so much that I like about the FXII (I use to own an ULTRA, own an FX8 and routinely play my friends FXII)
    It can tweak and sound like almost anything you want once you learn it and the editor helps you do this more easily (although the interface isn't bad as far as rack mounted gear goes.)
    It's really amazing gear that if dropped on the market in 2010 would have blown off the top of the industry. It's taken may years to develop as far as it has, and it has the Kemper to thank
    for that kind of pressure to keep seeking amp realism. But is it capable of "profiling" your amp? No. Way. That's a lie. Run from that kind of review. There is SO MUCH good truth to the FXII that it don't have to have lies made up about it to be a top notch pro gear.

Regardless of which gear, whatever a person gets should do this IMO:
    * enhance your workflow
    * save you money
    * promote your play time
    * be exceedingly fun
    * bring you to a larger community
    * grow with your needs (& plenty of I/O)
    * be reliable and long lasting equipment
    * long lasting customer support

I felt like the Kemper profiles being largely MBRITT made it a limited comparison-they're not as present as others imo. No offense to mbritt or the users, I hear lots of people are happy with them.

That's a spot on observation!
    The first few packages MBRITT made use the same Cabinet. (I love them, despite that, they do get a lot of love.)