Posts by db9091

I think it's a rather useless description. I played the KPA through a guitar amp in the room and it sounded awesome. Took it to an outdoor even, sounded very thin.
    I got a good sounding room. But outdoors.. Worse than if recorded by a mic losing the entire low end. So the room shapes what you think you are hearing. Too Many Variables of amp position, your standing position, type of speakers, etc.

The KPA is perfectly able to compensate for what you think you might be lacking. I don't think it's a "lacking" so much as a "different" because you are typically using different speakers.

I suspect the biggest culprit is volume. Most I suspect do not listen to their Kempers at anywhere near the volumes of their amps. Crank the hell out of your Kemper and tell me if it is missing something!

At that point, when your ears are splitting and the objects are falling off your shelves, you'll stop bitching about the "amp in the room" and go "Holy... SHIT!!"

Probably not the area for this post.

That said, profiling is just like mic'ing up an amp for recording in a studio. So no, you can't just walk into a guitar store and profile their amps.
    The profiling process is LOUD so that would be a no-no. Typically you either borrow a friends amp, or book studio time and record their amps.
    Additionally, you can just purchase (a lot cheaper than studio time) commercial profiles. A la TheAmpFactory, SoundSide.de, etc.

As to getting a sound of a guitar "on the radio" it's more like, you find a song you like where the guitar is solo so you can isolate just the guitar.
    You need "Tone Matching" software, typically VST plugins like Ozone Izotope, and learn that in conjunction with using the Kemper's profiling capability through it.
    There is a learning curve there, a double one. There are also commercially available Tone Matched profiles, and also by request, at Pete's Profiles.

This process is simple, but doing it well takes an experienced ear and often decent equipment (nice preamp, quality microphone if you aren't using just an SM57)

That said, there are TONS of free profiles available, over 4,000 so I doubt you'd need to do any of this yourself, or could do any of this cheaper than buying professional.

This is partially true. For one, the Axe, like an amp, would require multiple profiles to gather up the various sweet spot settings one could/would get with a particular amp. BUT... many presets are tweaked with Effects, which many do not sound the same as the Kemper, and some aren't available in the Kemper. So there are limitations there, where you can get it close, but maybe not exact.

But for raw amps with minimal effects, yes, I've profiled a few ULTRA presets and it was spot on. I even recorded the A/B side by side in SoundCloud and posted it on TGP for some who questioned the KPA's ability to do this.

I also have some very nicely done profiles of the FXII by fremen, and will get to listen to these and review the quality. I wish fremen would release his, as many would actually pay for them. And should, it takes time to set them up.

Last item: it's always a questions of "Which Firmware Version" so you could profile v12 or v13 and there would be the claim that "it's not the LATEST though" but the point still holds: The KPA can certainly profile the raw amp/models of the FXII accurately, and hang with most of the effects, but there is where it will start to differ or fall short.

I need to correct the time I thought it would take. I was quite off.

It would take me about 10 hours to download 80 GB give or take. Not 3.

I get speeds around 15-25 Mbps, so that would be an all nighter to download.

Yeah, that is a huge bunch o' bits, and I can totally see the need for a hard drive because some providers charge a lot for downloads over a certain amount.

I have Cable and they have unlimited downloads as of now, but I suspect that model of charging will change in the future since they control the Internet in auctioned bottlenecks in America.

The Kemper replaced my pedal board, which had about 14 pedals in all.

The only effect I can't replace is the Spring Reverb which I WOULD use a lot. I typically turn down the Reverbs, turn off the delays of most profiles.

I like some profiles with effects, most with very few or none. There are some talented profilers that can put on nice effects. Andy and Pete have some profiles with well done EQ or Reverbs.

Typically, I don't judge a profile by how many or little effects it has, but by whether I'm liking it for the song. Just use my ears.

But the OP has made an interesting point that I'm going to explore more, so Thank You!

haha, well trust me, by the time Ive done cooking up spam mails.. YOU wont want to remove it from your spam folder.. lol

(just joking, I'll only send Life or Death info.. I promise)

I choose DEATH!!! No, wait, changed my mind, I'll have the cake!

One thing I hate is getting out my typewriter and creating a form letter asking for the software, then hoping the P.O. doesn't lose the letter.

Time to give up the Dial-ups and T1's you old men!! ;)

Seriously, how long does it take you? I can get a download of 1 TB in about an hour. I've not timed it, I just set it up and watch a TV show.

fremen made an awesome acoustic profile, and he made an even awesomer one from an FXII preset but hasn't released it.

I wish I could share it but I promised not to, but maybe if you contact him personally he'll share it with you if you like acoustic profiles.

Now you need a Dark Toaster! ;)

The idea of an FX loop is to insert the effects between the preamp and the power amp section of an amp to prevent the effects from distorting. The more gain you use the more audible the benefit becomes. What differs from amp to amp though it the return point of the loop. Some amps have the return after the master volume control of the amp. If you insert additional noise from an effects device or use a cheap cable, the additional noise is amplified with the full power amp output. Very nasty.

I now know about this loopy stuff! Thank You!!

Thanks! So are most loops in real amps before the power tubes? Or are there post power tube loops in some amps? This is something I never paid attention too as I always had my board before the amp like you said.

It´s just clever marketing so they can strip the device of the amp and cab section and propably bring a full AXE-FX floor version later. A Multi FX unit always belongs into the FX loop. If you would put it before the input section all the modulation, reverb and delay FX would get distorted by the amp.

That makes sense for some effects. Don't a lot of folks like an OD to the Preamp though? Many tube amps don't even have a loop! So that's a problem right there.

It seems to me that the power of this product is as a decent replacement for your pedal board, due to it's variety of effects. It has all but 2 FXII effects, and you can do double delays and all, and have variously different sets of 8 effects stored in different snapshots. So you could toss your $1500-2000 pedal board and replace with this. So I see a definite niche for it.

I'd personally rather have things modular because very few companies are great at all things, or develop them at the same rate of quality. As evidenced by the fact that many prefer the Kempers amps and are waiting on more effects, and the FXII's effects were always top notch but the amps are being continually developed. That said, I realize everyone has a different opinion on this. I like most of the KPA effects, but something about the Reverbs don't sit well with me, probably cause I'm used to Spring Reverbs for amps, not that the KPA reverbs have any problem; they don't (except Matchbox, yuck! lol)

I doubt I'd personally get this product, as it's kind of overkill for the KPA unless you have a pressing need for two delays, shimmer or arpeggio effects, which I don't.

But if you have a real tube amp, and a pedal board, this would replace that board quite nicely.

What would make this better than the Kemper pedal board if it can work with a KPA is the fact it comes with 2 pedals (again assuming they can be calibrated) as I understand the KPA board will not.

2 things I get out of this are:

Depends on the price, as the ULTRA goes for $1200 and has excellent effects, even though it's not a floorboard. But "designed for tube amps" should apply to the Kemper, no?

In terms of "effects" is there really a difference in how they respond to input signals, whether in front of a guitar or in an amp loop?

I've only had the Toaster, but when I have moved my Motif Rack (1U) or LA-610 (closer in size to KPA Rack) it's been way less mobile than the Toaster has.

I just pick up the Toaster, or put it in it's bag and I can carry it quite easily.

boingdriver,

The only thing "nuts" would be to never use one of them and keep it so long it loses your equity!

If you use them, keep them. If they WOW you, keep them. I go by the "WOW" factor, and if I don't use something in a year, it goes to the chopping block.

I did that with my ULTRA. Loved it's effects. But wasn't using it. Poor fella. He needed a better home than mine and found it.

Welcome!