Posts by dahla

Only good things to say about the Kemper service level from me. I bought a Kemper from the first batch and all know by now, that they came with LED-failure. Kemper announced that it would be replaced for free. When I bought it the LEDs started to fail after approx six months. After a year a lot had failed. A couple of months ago I came around to contact Kemper about this issue which dates many years back. Maybe eight years or so. I expected to be met with answer, that I’ve had plenty of time to send it back for repair. I therefore asked for a repair price. The answer I got surprised me a lot. It still was free of charge. I think that it is crazy so many years after. I paid for the parcel service from Denmark to Germany. I cannot remember exactly how long it took. I think it was seven days in total from me shipping it to me being in possession of my Kemper with new LEDs. I cannot praise the service from this company enough. It’s almost unearthly.

A couple of months ago, I sent my Powerhead from Spain to Germany for a time/date display-related minor (although somewhat uncomfortable ...) issue. My unit was well beyond 2 years old. Kemper service repaired it for free and sent the unit back to me in less than a week. Awesome !! I take the opportunity to sincerely thank Kemper service. Truely "unearthly" ...

Stellar service as far as I'm concerned. Over the years I've only had two issues, LED's on my 2013 Toaster and loose rattling components in my 1st Remote. Both issues were taken care of quickly (7-10 days) and free of charge. I find Kemper's Customer Care to be simply amazing in this day and age. Highest recommendation!

awesome! Kemper deserves the praise. The communication with support before I sent it back were a+ too. :)

well, leds and the fx loop noise. I asked for a heads up on reparation costs, and support said they would contact once the service team had checked it out. Haven’t heard anything yet. I don’t even know if my Kemper has arrived...

oh well... It’s just the waiting that is killing me. ^^

So it’s getting close to two weeks since I sent my Kemper back to HQ. And of course, I miss it.

Have any of you sent the Kemper back for service? What was the turnaround, and did you recieve any info from Kemper while it were serviced?

I didn’t think I’d miss it this much, but my guitar playing is starting to suffer... ;(:)

Hi, killiquid.

I feel your pain... :pinch:

Pretty sure this noise hasn’t been there before. It’s really obvious and I’ve just been aware of it recently. At first I though it was a software issue, so I even installed OS6. That didn’t help. I didn’t have any issues when I profiled a while back either...

My Kemper left the country last wednesday. Eagerly awaiting a message from support. I asked them to give me a heads up for reparation cost, so I can decide if it’s worth fixing or not. (My Kemper is out of warranty, I bought it in 2013. :))

I can post updates here, when there is any news.

it’s sorely missed though! Just look at this empty, wasted space just collecting dust...

?(

Well, it doesn’t really matter that much since Kemper have a master volume. (So you can adjust the level you hit the RME with).

But according to the manual, the Kemper toaster and rack has max output level xlr +22 dbU, +16 dBU on ts. That is on the main outputs. (monitor out and direct out both +16 dBU).

So the RME is giving you options for what to expect. A +22 dBU, or +16 dBU signal is pretty hot, so it’s about choosing the level so it works in tandem. Ideally, so that max output level of Kemper is as close to 0 dBFS on the RME as possible. I.e. clipping is close to the same level. :)

I use the RME UCX, and I have it setup with +4. I adjust the master output of the Kemper so I hit around -20 to -18 dBFS. And that is average level (rms), not peaks. Even if my peaks hit around -6 dBFS I have the headroom on both Kemper and RME for it not to be a problem. :) (With distorted guitar it rarely is a problem, it isn`t that dynamic to begin with).

But I am no expert. I might be doing it wrong... So take my advise accordingly. ;)

Awesome! I don’t think I deserve the credit, but you’re welcome. 8o

It’s a truly awesome amp. And I found «my» sound with it. I let it go, but I still use the profiles I made. (And choptones made an extensive pack that is KILLER). The one thing that made me switch back to the Kemper for my band was when I discovered that I could program the harmonic pitch to a user scale. Instant one-man harmonies.

Invested in a Ritter power amp, and UNFORTUNATELY my MT15 just collected dust afterwards... I still kind of regretting passing it on though, and it’s just been probably a month or two since I let it go. ^^

My band is releasing our next single on monday. Kemper and my profile is all over that recording. ;)

Yeah, it's soon enough from me and all the nagging about fx loop noise. But I made a video, just so you guys can see. Used a factory content profile too. Perhaps anyone can test this on their own Kemper, and tell me if they get the same noise? This noise comes JUST by engaging a stomp mono loop, meaning that connections doesn't matter. In this video I have nothing in the actual loop...

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Yeah. I am the OP...

Still having major issues. I experimented some more, and here is what I found:

- When using a clean profile of a (Fender Twin clean), and raising the gain, it is noise city when engaging the loop. So the same as a distorted profile.

- When moving the loop to the mod slot, I can very faintly hear the signal, and it’s feeding back like crazy. So I got feedback, with a fx loop in mod slot with no cables attached...

I’m sending a ticket to support. I can’t use the loop at all... ;(

Awesome thread!

have you guys seen my thread here? Kemper FX loop noise

To add to the discussion: The clean sense on my Kemper certainly does affect the input LED. And it affects some kind of gain staging when I use the fx loop. With nothing connected to the Kemper - literally nothing!! - the noise floor changes drastically JUST by changing the clean sense.

Try another thing, too. When engaging the fx loop, play around with the distortion sense as well. There is no need to have any pedals active in the loop, just the loop active in one of the stomp slots. Noise gate should obviously be turned off...

Select a rig with some gain. Clean rigs isn’t as noisy by default. Then LOWER clean sense to -12. Noisefloor increases, right? Then RAISE clean sense to +12.

Then the opposite happens with distortion sense: Try a clean sense of + 12 with a distortion sense of -12 and vica versa. Clean sense at -12 with distortion sense at +12 is a noisy mess! At least with my profiler.

I don’t understand the gain staging here at all...

I just noticed something, maybe you could try it too, bluzgtr68 ?

To get the best balance between clean and distorted sounds, I have the clean sense at -6.0. I just tried raising the clean sense to +12, and the noise is almost gone in when I engage the fx loop. Meaning there is barely a noticeable change in the hiss when I push stomp B with the loop mono on and off. (i.e. the inherent background noise in the profile, without noise gate).

So a clean sense of + 12 acts like "unity" gain somehow. Meaning that lowering the clean sense boost noise floor. Like an opposite gain staging relationship. Except then the gain staging is all screwed up. I can't have the clean sense on +12... :huh:

So, I tested a little bit more:

Putting the loop in x module was dead quiet as expected. It seems that the loop is boosting the volume before/into the amp, but I don't understand why.

And I prefer loop mono over loop distortion. Loop distortion seems to have a pretty aggressive noise gate, and I don't particularly like it.. :whistling:

This is a link to the noise example. This is with no cables attached in the loop. Not even a guitar cable. And I put rig volume to max, just to get some levels for easy reference.

So this is a distorted rig, with loop mono in stomp b, no guitar cable connected and no cables in the back of Kemper, recorded through main out as line in to an Apogee Element 24. toggled on and off. (you´ll hear it when it happens).

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

What am I missing?

I know, I know. Bear with me, I've done some research on this already... :P

I have some pedals I'd like to use with the Kemper. And because I'd like to sometimes reamp over spdif, the FX loop is perfect. I have tried both loop mono and loop distortion, and I have the fx loop in stomp B. Every time I have engaged the loop, I have raised the noise floor. It goes from fairly quiet to fairly hissy. Like a live tube amp, just "fscccccccccccccccchh". It's so loud that it's barely covered when there is actual signal. So practically useless...

Now I thought that, since I use gain pedals, it's perhaps a gain staging issue. So I've think I've ruled out most of it: I've checked clean sense (it is properly set as per instructed so it's not to low), I've checked cables, volumes, settings, even switched pedals and what not. So I did something that ckemper recommended in another thread here: I put a cable from the send to the return in the back of the Kemper without anything attached and it still hisses. So naturally, I changed cable and tried again. Still does the same thing.

But here is the kicker. It's noisy and starts to hiss when I engage the loop, even with no cables attached at all. No cables, just pushing stomp b on and off makes hiss come and go. So I'm stumped. What am I forgetting or doing wrong here? Anybody?

(can post audio files, just give me a few hours).

It’s a non-issue imo. How many commercial profiles have been uploaded to rm?

I highly prefer Kempers approach. Sharing is free, buying is optional. You can easily make your own profiles and decide for yourself. Not everything has to be a business. 8o

I just stumbled over this thread. I am tempted to test the PRS MT 15. Has anyone played the amp with a 1x12 or 2x 12 C V30 cab? Could you describe your impressions?

Do it! It’s an awesome amp. And it’s LOUD!

My cab is a Marshall 1936V, so it’s a 2x12 V30 cab. The amp is made for the V30. A very good match IMO.

I loved playing the MT15, at home and in a band setting. What I didn’t like though, was loosing all the flexibility that the Kemper and remote gave. Especially on the FX and stomp end. And when ChopTones released their awesome rig pack I actually endes up selling it... Spent the money on an Epiphone MKH 7 instead 8o