Posts by Grooguit

lol. What a cluster* that was! It took years and never worked.

TC Electronic really drove off a cliff. when the G-system came out it was cutting edge and FINALLY was a product that allowed you to set your real overdrives up the way you like them in four loops, control your amp with a 5th, and use them independently within an-all in one high end digital effects system without tap-dancing. And high end effects from a company that was at the time considered top shelf in the post effects department. And the thing was serious tour grade, not a 2000's line6/boss multi-effects modeling toy. Then when all the ambient/shimmering delay/reverb stuff started coming out, (and is now made by everyone) and TC is still partying like it's 2005. They still sell that silly Nova System which has a huge audio gap when you change presets with the built in overdrive and which doesn't switch presets until you release the switches.

To me, the Remote is the simplest plug and play option for the head IF you don't need other effects than what you place in the loop or loops or midi functionality beyond what you can do with the slot settings, AND if the ability to *only have four dedicated switches to turn things on an off with in a rig is sufficienct, on top of seeing with an led the morph status and the convenient possibilities of toggling that with the 1-5 switches. With midi controllers, you always have to make sure the led status matches up properly. Add in having a built in tuner at your feet and one less thing to plug into an AC outlet.

I'd seriously doubt a 2.0 at Namm what with all the never-ending work they've done to get a working editor and enhancements for the firmware of the current generation. And for that matter, if rolling out a 2.0 head/rack in 2020, why go through all the trouble of developing a 1.0 floor model in 2019, when you could just role out all three products in the same upcoming generation? Like I said years ago, they could have made a floor version very quickly once the development of the Remote was finished, the hard work for a Stage was done. All they really needed to develop was a floor-shaped metal container that held the hardware of the head and remote, and perhaps streamlining a few knobs and controls.. Going forward with 1.0, Stage, head w/remote and rack w/remote, they have three products: that have virtually the same hardware/firmware/software/editor to roll out new features for. This ensure that future rigs will be cross compatible with the three.

I went with the stage for two reasons, first off is the form factor. I like the all in one design of the foot controller for its compact design and easy transport. Second was the cost compared to buying a toaster and controller. I liked the form factor of the Helix and if it was not for their editor I would have left that product a lot sooner then this past August. At this point if I could trade the stage for a toaster and controller, I would but no one would make that trade.

I'd consider making that trade! And you could probably easily find someone willing to do so straight up. The falling resale of a used unpowered head+remote is partially due to the fact that one can buy a brand new Stage (which is feature wise the same thing as the head and remote in a single floor-shaped box) for $1700. I don't think I'd get close to $1700 if I tried to sell my head and remote, unless I found someone locally who wanted one without losing money on shipping costs and seller fees. (Even if the buyer pays shipping, this just reduces the total cost he's willing to pay for the product.)

Do you think this is more or less dangerous than announcing "a couple of days" when the product is months from being ready ?

No youre right, it's not less dangerous. But if "maybe days" is the actual case, and they said such, isn't it then a bit extraneous to bother mention such beta testing? If it's days away from a public beta release, you'd expect private beta testing to precede it. My suspicion (knowing nothing about programing) is that the delay has had more to do with getting the firmware straightened out, and perhaps even that kemper cone thing, as they need the editor they roll out to function with the kemper cone thing vs. rolling out the editor, then having to roll out new enhancements for the editor as soon as they release the kemper cone thing when it's ready. The Kemper cone thing would also be tied in with the whole preset/library/ organizational side of things for which the editor would need to accommodate. And for that matter, depending on what their workers specialize in, at the moment fixing the glitchy firmware and issues with the roll out of the Stage as the holiday sales season is upon them needs to take priority; that's how they'll afford to keep the development department churning out new things.

Tone junkies being well known or “Obscure” or not is besides the point. Either way It’s info coming out from a third party, not an announcement from kemper and perhaps not an announcement they were pleased the third party shared. In any case the fact that there are some beta testers perhaps tasked with looking for specific issues doesn’t tell us that there aren’t other issues kemper told the beta guys they are still working on. There could have been beta testers back in January who tested the seemingly perfectly functional and demoed Namm version of the editor. However the moment Kemper officially announces beta testers, this inevitably ramps up the “any day now” assumptions and rumors leading to more disappointment if it takes longer. Last quote I saw from the company first hand was perhaps weeks it might be ready, barring unforeseen issues. Apparently a half dozen pages back on this thread there was an indication of possibly even days? So if they’re at one of those two stages, baring potential and unpredictable setbacks, is there really a compelling reason they need to make an official announcement about beta testing?

By the way, we should care, at least indirectly, about Stage sales and the overall success of the KpA line of products if we like new features for our kpas or hope for new products from the kemper company in the future. Bills have to be paid, teams of paid employees that develop editors, roll out new effects and firmware improvements, as well as ongoing customer and product support and continued compatibility with Mac and Windows over time isn’t cheap. New sales provide the means.

So to summarize 115 pages of comments and many other editor threads over the years. What we know for sure:

When the editor arrives, the net
    time it will save us and the convenience it will provide in our lives will be vastly exceeded by the hours we spent thinking, hoping, discussing, and arguing about it before it is actually released.

I started to use the performance mode. I assigned rigs to the slots and saved the performance. Then I noticed, for some of the slots the rig name written on the second line (inside the "boxes") is wrong, while the one written beneath the performance name is right. I don't know if it happened with the previous OS ? I sent a message to the support team.

I've never quite understood the naming that shows up on the remote in performance mode. The way I organize my sounds for has always been to make song-specific rigs and load them into a couple performances in the order I'll need them for live that day. (most songs I only need one rig since i utilize the morph feature set to instant with the remote footswitches) While I have dozens of song-specific rigs, they're all based on no more than 4 profiles; what's song specific is the various effect combinations and tempo settings, perhaps a tweak of the gain when morphed. Over the years, I've swapped out some of the profiles to different ones. Therefore, seeing the name of the original profile that the song-specific rig was originally based on is pointless, since what I need to see most live is the name/part of the song not the name of the profile, which is the same in many song specific rigs I use.

The problem is that what should and should not be included. No effects you say? Then others would complain about that. Everyone has their own vision of what a cheaper version should be like. And is there a market for it? For sure? Would it be a gain or pain for Kemper? Is it more profitable with the kemper as it is now? Maybe they have discussed a cheaper version but came to the conclusion no. We don't know and they will not tell us anyway.

True true. Perhaps a product along the lines of a Line 6 stomp, or whatever the smallest version of the Helix is? But yes, whatever they rolled out some people would complain, and some are complaining now because nothing has been released. I for one hoped they'd role out a full pedalboard version along the lines of the Helix type unit. 4+ years ago they released the Remote and could have done nothing more than designed a metal case that housed the contents of the head and remote and from a software/firmware standpoint would have been identical to a head connected to a remote. Thus not really a new product they'd have to support. The hard work of coming up with a system for a remote that worked with the head and the continued support and integration of the two units was the hard part. Craming them both into one pedal-board shaped metal box would have been the easy part.

A cheaper version would make sense, but not by eliminating the ability to profile. The real savings is making a smaller product, cutting out hardware and building a smaller product. The easiest way to do this is to design a 2-3 footswitch pedal KPA that has no effects and solely handles profiling, and serves as a convenient DI on a pedal board. This alone would eliminate half the knobs and switches and a few jacks. It would also serve another market, users that are dedicated to traditional pedal boards and want the profiler to just be a small piece on their pedal board, vs. running four cables back and forth to an unpowered head.

LOL! I think OS 7 will deserve a brand new thread of its own :)

That's what I was thinking. Although, since these verbs were to be a part of the new big operating system update coming this summer, perhaps someone should create a Ionosphere/Formant Reverb Thread under Discussions. When the new 7.0 beta comes out, a new thread for that where we review our actual experiences with it, versus our current speculation of it, which is what this current thread is about. All that to say, I loaded up 6.0 and love the new verbs and their presets. Curious as to why they didn't just label the new reverb OS 5 point (whatever number comes after the last update) since just two new reverbs hardly justifies it's own whole number OS.

The irony is we’re all evaluating the sound of a cab designed to produce the elusive “amp in a room” (which sounds good btw) by listening to the mic’d sound uploaded onto the internet.

My core issue with presets is really about how the Kemper manages files. It doesn't behave like a regular computer where you can have one version of a file that can be accessed multiple times, by multiple files. You can't edit a preset and save it - you have to save as new file, and that new file can have the same name. You can have ten different Green Screams tweaked ten different ways, and not know which is the one you are looking for. You can't tweak a file in one place and have it show up in multiple.

I see no indication that this has been addressed. However, if the editor lets me see what preset a rig is using and gives me an easier and faster way of tweaking, and then copy/pasting it into multiple other places where it may be used, that MAY help make things easier. But, if I don't know everywhere that preset is used, and the system doesn't tell me, then there is a chance I will miss one.

Thats the core in a nutshell.

I had a feature request for such a thing a couple years ago

In a nutshell: if you select any preset, be it the entire amp section, a single effect like a OD, delay, or reverb, or the a-d slots saved together, or x-rev saved together, you could ALSO choose designate it with a tag: Then in any rig that you desire to use that same preset, instead of browsing for that preset like we do now, you could opt to browse for the tag as well. This would effectively dial up the preset in these other rigs, but whatever settings you make to the preset would be mirrored in all of the rigs that use the matching tag of this preset. If however, later you desire to untag the preset in one rig that you're using it, you could just untag it, leaving you free to edit and save it independently, like the way presets function now. Thus anyone that prefers to have some go-2 certain things set more globally (but not always, like using the lock function) could do so.

For example, you use a compressor in all your live clean rigs, and find yourself wanting to tweak it one way when using a particular guitar, you'd only have to do it once, not go to each and every clean rig your using that day before a gig and do the copy-paste-save-save-save thing over and over.

Confused? If the Kemper Kone is meant to impart imprints of real speaker types, which then go into an FRFR cab, or more specifically this new Kemper 1x12 FRFR, doesn't the old fashioned method of picking a different cab sim within the profile already accomplish this? Will be cool to hear the run down of what Kemper Kone actually is. Now, perhaps it accomplishes some sort of amp in the room thing?

Not to go too far OT, but in all the time with the AX8, I can count on one hand the number of times I used the knobs on the unit itself. I would think a floorboard version of the KPA would be better with an extremely minimal UI, similar to the AmpliFIRE. I would go even further and make it a single encoder and do away with all the other knobs. Basically a profile PLAYER with editing ability... if you need to.

That could work. From a creating a new product and it's future support standpoint, having a floor kemper that essentially is the same as the head and remote, they wouldn't have to create a new UI or consider how any updates they'd like to do would function on different products. (because from a software standpoint it could function identically to a head+remote) Nor would a new owner have to "compromise" between the fuller-featured head/rack or a trimmed down all-in-one. And of course a trimmed down all in one floor wouldn't be any more convenient if it necessitated an editor and now having a computer connected to it to efficiently edit, let along any inability or cumbersomeness using the internal effects.

However, they could simplify such a floor KPA by making it like a head/remote but eliminating some of the unneeded knobs, such as the 6 mod, delay, and reverb knobs, which are just shortcuts anyway. They could get rid of undo and redo as well.

I used to own a Pod HD 6-7 years ago and liked how I could just plop it on a table or desk and do my long editing sessions while sitting in a chair with minimal setup and for live purposes didn't mine the occasional bending over to adjust on the floor, which is easier than trying to adjust the KPA head while it is sitting on the floor with its screen and knobs pointed at my shoes instead of up at my face like the Pod.

And.....the default in RM is not to download beta versions so not only are you not forced, you have to positively ask for it..so people should know what beta testing is for.

I also have to commend Kemper for such a fast turnaround for fixes...

Now back to Namm....who said there isn't a foot pedal version? Why else release a powered cab.....OK maybe stretching the speculation too much ;)

Yeah, supposedly there's 5 new products, someone above said? I see one, the new green cab; is it powered though? Would be great for those of us that have unpowered heads or racks. Plus a pair of them would enable stereo usage.

They hinted last year "that it would be a surprise if at some point they didn't release a floor board KPA." or something to that effect. And I've been saying for 3 years since the release of the Remote, that a floorboard KPA was the next logical step. By creating the remote, they essentially did all the hard leg work in a floor switching system that coordinates with the KPA. Designing an all in one KPA. A floor KPA would simply be taking the knobs, jacks, buttons, switches, innards and the screen of the unpowered head and a remote and cramming them into one floor board-shaped metal container. Nothing new to develop but a metal box with holes and a paint job. Some dude that's good at welding could build his own by frankensteining his KPA and remote.

Whatever Kemper does though, all us of on this forum have to remember that they are a company and have to continuously pay employees to function as a company, give customer service, let alone role out free updates. And they only make the money to do so by selling new KPAs and other products. It's easy for us to forget the economics of the situation.

Off topic, not really. Anyone notice that if you click on the "Profiler related discussions" this thread is not there? I can only view this thread now by directly clicking on it on the right side orange link of the main page, because it's currently the most recently commented on thread in Profiler related dicussions. Otherwise, the thread is missing completely.

Oops, so apparently this thread co-exists under announcements, but only appears if you click on Announcements, with the beta 092 showing on the main page as the most recent announcement, even thought he 099 beta appears at the top of the list if you actually click on Announcements. Weird. Maybe it's my browser? Actually, the same thing occurred when the 092 was released, with the june spring reverb beta sill topping the list, and 092 not showing unless I clicked on announcements. Which is why I didn't even discover the new beta on Friday until I saw on facebook.