Posts by Grooguit

Yes!!! I've had the same thing, twice yesterday( while on beta 8.05) and twice today (with release 8.05)

I've contacted support this morning. My issues happed with and without rig manager. Mostly without.

I had a couple crashes since getting the stage in November or so, (prior to the latest) but figured it was just glictchiness with the various beta's/releases as 8.xxx has rolled out

I'd hold off. My 2 month old stage which had worked perfectly since I've had it, (except for a beta crash in December) has had crashed a numerous times ever since I went to 8.05, first issue with the Beta and now with the Release. I've contacted support a couple hours ago as it did it twice last night (still on beta) and twice today (with the latest release)

I wouldn't trust Pete Thorn video of anything. Everything he plays sounds magic, He'd make a Squire Bullet with rusty strings, a maxed out Metal Zone through a pig nose amp sound good

No news is good news for those of us that already have a Kemper!

Not if they roll out new features in OS updates for free! I'm starting to wonder what else in the world could they add to the kemper that they already haven't added, that the existing hardware could support? All that to say, I'm surprised the Namm seems to have snuck up on all of us. haven't seen any threads about it. I hadn't even crossed my mind until Sweetwater emailed me about Namm sneak peaks. I wonder if there's an actual Namm, or if it's just virtual?

*Rig manager is perfectly fine with M1, ignore the one issue I mentioned about it asking me to enter my passcode. I had updated a bunch of passwords when I got this Mac, forgetting I had updated my kemper passcode as well. Once I entered my login info in the preferences in Rig manager it worked just fine and stopped prompting me. So that minor issue wasn't one at all and had nothing to do with this being an M1 mac or even a new Intel mac, just a user error.

So the short of it. M1 is glitchy with some hardware and recording software for now, but in my experience is perfect for using Rig Manager.

Update: I got to try up out rig manger with my Kemper Stage today. The Rig manager software seems to work just fine on the M1 mac running Big Sur of course. Only hitch is this:

When launching it I get this meaningless message each time. "Cannot log into PROFILER Rig Exchange. Please verify your user name and password in the preferences." Ignoring this and just Xing out the pop up window; I still can click on the Rig Exchange and audition rigs in it. So not sure the issue there, but it doesn't seem to matter either way.

I am able to monitor my KPA on the M1 using my 3rd gen focusrite 2i2. However, the actual software for the focusrite isn't compatible yet, not sure why Rosetta doesn't make this work. So I instantly am able to select the audio interface as it's recognized just fine in the audio setting in system preferences and monitor my kemper just fine, even though the focusrite control software says there's no hardware recognized.

I launched Reaper, my DAW of choice and discovered that it seems to work itself. However, I'm having issues with third party plugins. For example, if I open an old project that has Waves plugins I cannot even bypass the Waves plugins to open those projects. Even choosing SKIP just prompts me with the same window again. The issue there is also that my Waves plugging need to be registered for this Mac anyway (also requiring me to update since I'm on version 9, which was "new" when I upgraded to Gold in December 2018. Now they're on version 12 (How did they get from version 12 from version 9 in just 2 years and a month?) IN any case, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to open those old projects containing waves pluggins even if the waves plugging are bypassed and not operable themselves. So perhaps Reaper isn't working right yet.

I also cannot get EZ drummer to work. Even though it's now authorized for this computer, it says there's an issue with the audio interface in the window of that plugin, despite hearing audio through the interface just fine from my guitar in the audio track that's monitoring the Kemper.

So the short is this: Rig Manger seems to work just fine. If you're doing audio recording, you may want to wait a while to get an M1. Thankfully, I'm not doing any recording projects for a while, so I'm not too concerned about it at the moment.

That's how Rosetta worked in the transition from PPC to Intel, but not how this new version works, mate.

What this one does is translate apps during installation; there is no further involvement beyond that point. This means that there's no ongoing CPU hit by a software-translation layer as was the case previously. There's still a theoretical penalty 'cause apps are translated but not optimised for AS, the latter being something only devs can do, which they will over time. In the meantime 'though it's turned out to be an excellent transition tool by all accounts.

I see. Well good news so far is that everything I use my computer for seems to work just fine. It’s pretty robust, so even if many programs won’t be running at max efficiency, don’t think it will give me any issue; not in the middle of any recording projects

I just got an M1 max pro last week. Will have to fire it up soon and see. I opened rig manager and it booted right up, without the Kemper connected at least. So Rosetta at least was able to do that. And btw Rosetta is something that apparently just runs in the background undetected, not something you have to mess with to get non supported apps to work right.

Any variety of Dunlop ultex is a great inexpensive option. I like anywhere from their .88, 1.0, 1.15. Their Delrin picks also sound great.
    For pricey picks the best sounding for acoustic I’ve tried is V-picks Jalepeno. I tried a ton of V-picks and found the tone of the Jalepeno to have the least chirp of all their picks and it produces such a huge tone. At five bucks a pick they last a good amount of time and are a triangle shape, giving you three times the wear thanks to three identical edges.

Well good news everyone. All of the mentioned products, Kemper, Quad, Helix, Axe (whether all-in-one floor or head/rack versions) have midi jacks. Which means you could sit any version of them, all-in-one, head, or rack safely behind you in some capacity and control them cheaply with something like the Behringer midi controller. Or you could buy something that costs as much as what you’re trying to protect (RJM mastermind) and exposing IT to all the wild-beer chugging, stiletto heel stomping maniacs that frequent your shows who are aiming for the screens of your floorboards.

So I just got the Tone Junkie Everything pack and with what I already had, I now have some 6000 or so Rigs in my local library. Is there a hard limit or a practical limit to the number of rigs that would cause rig manager to crash or be glitchy? I only keep 100 max on the Stage itself

For the Quad, get yourself a 2-gallon size ziplock bag. All done.

At a rainy festival, if the area at my feet was exposed to the rain, but the area behind me where an amp/rack/etc. would be located was covered; sure. I did a lot of festivals, bars, college events, ect. over the years. On a few less than ideal occasions, I threw a towel over my pedal board and made due without having less ability to toggle stuff. In fact, just did an outdoor event at the church in October on a day that was 45 degrees. I had my KPA head and remote (now sold) and my biggest aggravation and fear was figuring out where to sit the darn head safely and run the cat-6 cable to and from it to the remote in a way that wouldn't get it damaged by myself of others. The same fear of condensation from the cold existed regardless of where I set it, and the same vulnerability to rain. If I had my Stage that day, I would have had fewer concerns, the biggest that day was my expensive acoustic in the cold.

Fears of placing gear on the floor are over exaggerated. (Granted I say that as a primarily church musician who doesn't have to worry about people spilling beer on my Stage.) You can look at the Kpa stage, Quad, Helix in a similar way. All three put something expensive at your feet. All three (probably) if damaged, could be fixed for a few hundred dollars. And that's a big IF. So if you want to minimize risk to these units themselves, you'd place these somewhere behind you and spend additional money on some sort of foot controller, probably in the $300-600 range. In other words to minimize the risk of breaking them, you spend more money than it would cost to fix them for a midi controller, remote, or on the more expensive purchase of a head/rack version + the cost of the dedicated controller. this foot controller itself also being at risk.

And of course, this doesn't eliminate ALL risk, as your pricey gear can get damaged when someone, including yourself, trip over the cable running between IT and the foot controller in front of you.

I had the Helix a couple years back. Returned it. It sounded just fine, but even with the ability to use two amp models and cabs at the same time, there was a warmth it lacked and richness that couldn't match my favorite rigs. The always available effects enable you to do more per Rig than the you can with the Helix, since the Helix 3.0, though it can now give you spillover between Presets, requires you to give up half the DSP to do so, no more two amp- two cab combos, with lots of ambience.

Another benefit to the Stage is that like the Head, it has automatic volume compensation, allowing to adjust the amp's gain or OD model's gain and never worry about a volume change that won't match your other rigs. You remember the good old days of endlessly trying to balance the volume between presets in modelers, going back and forth adjusting, and hitting save? Those days are back with the Helix or the Quad.

The third thing I like about the stage, in particular for P&W is the ducking feature on most of the effects. I can set ducking on delays and reverbs at 0.5 and the ambience disappears some as I strum chords and musically sneaks back in as I arpeggiate, let a chord ring or play single lines. This beats having different rigs or on the Helix snapshots, needing multiple delays for different parts of a song, and less tap dancing.

yeah that post by them was hysterical. In doing my due diligence before buying the stage last week I enquirered on their forum about something in regards to snapshot management (can’t remember what I was trying to figure out) but I mentioned having owned the helix a couple years back and that the preset gap was the deciding factor to return it. So maybe I touched a nerve

yeaah well...I mean...they designed the chassis as well, so... :D You are totally right & that´s most probably the reason (I think I read that on GearPage) but the "space" was their design-decision as well ^^

Don't get the super small size. Why design an all-in-one product with cramped footswitches and not enough room for ins and outs? The only reason to need one that small is because you plan on using it with a lot of external effect pedals on a standard size pedal board. But if that's the case, you'll find two mono or one stereo effects loops inadequate to have programed control over all of your external effect pedals, so you're back to tap dancing, unless you want to add one of those expensive midi-controlled multi audio loop devices like Voodoo labs makes. But in that case, you need to make room for THAT on you pedal board. Conversely, the whole point in an all-in-one device is to not need that many external pedals, if any at all, and if you only have one or two external effect pedals, you'll find a device the size of the KPA Stage or Helix reasonable.

It's also the reason their cute twistable stomp switches are pointless. First, their thinness to me seems like it would be less ergonomic to twist compared with a thicker knob. Second the only reason to make foot switches that double as knobs is because you're making the device needlessly small and have to conserve space.