Posts by Grooguit

Nothing I know of that would be smaller than the remote and also able to do all you want. I'm assuming that you'll want quick access to rigs, which means having 5 dedicated switches or so, plus a boost switch, plus a tuner switch. At that point, it's almost the size of the Remote. Now if changing rigs is something you don't do as much, something like the tech 21 midi mouse can do that. And you could opt out of kemper's tuner assuming something on this large pedal board you mention has its own tuner built in. Plus a mini clean boost pedal (such as Wampler's buffer/clean boost) could function much like an internal gain boost.

I'd say it all depends on how much external gear you use with it. If you only need a single effects loop and midi control over no more than two pieces of gear, there's no reason for anything more complex than the Kemper Remote, unless you just have to have visual stomp access to every single slot. n my personal opinion though, it's probably less work overall to need a few more rigs using just the Remote with its limits, versus the extra programing work that you'll need to do with the RJM-so that you can have the extra flexibility. Thus it really depends on your needs.

As far as spillover trails, using Kemper delays and reverbs do this just fine even when changing rigs. The difficulty you might face is that you'll need to create several rigs in order to have different combinations. At the moment, you can have one modulation effect, one delay effect, and one reverb effect in one rig. You can save their on off status and assign a footswitch to turn each one independently on and off. The Kemper remote, or any midi board that can send CC as well as PC messages can accomplish this. Though supposedly 4.0 will let you put delays other places, but even if so, your basically limited to the ability to switch no more than 4 effects on and off with most midi options and the Remote.

Where you might have difficulty is in the various combinations of those mod, delay, and verb settings that you like to use together at the same time. And then figuring out how many of those combinations you'll need quick access to, since you your limited to 5 per bank. So first step is to determine how many combinations of effects you use. If it's quite a list, using the Kemper this way can be a hassle. This is because you'll need to create many duplicate rigs that contain the same exact amp just so you can have quick access to the various combinations of effects you use. So if you then decide that this amp sound needs an adjustment, or want to swap it for a different amp, you'll need to lock it, then you have to go through all the rigs that you use and hit "save save save".

I have the eventide H9, which I use in the loop. What I love about it is that I can have as many rigs as I like in the Kemper, and can even control it with the Kemper if I want, but also can quickly dial up any of my H9 presets anytime I want, with any rig I'm using.

As far as saving space, the Remote or any midi controller that gives you the ability to switch on and off effects will take up as much space on your pedal board or more as your eventide and strymon. As far as cable runs go, you'll avoid running cables for your eventide and strymon (assuming you put them in the loop now) but you'll add either a cat5e cable from the Kemper to your pedal board or midi cables.

Thus the benefit is that you can quickly go from various combinations of effects with a single press. This come at the expense of needing to create multiple rigs with the same amp so that you can quickly go from sound to sound, making the editing of that amp a hassle.

Just got Pack 1, 69 Marsh Pack, Guytron Pack, Jim Kelly Pack, and Tweedy Pack.

Absolutely amazed. So many good balanced profiles that track pickup changes well, particularly in the slightly broken up range to medium overdrive, great cleans, and even some higher gain ones. So many good tones. I liked so many I don't know even where to begin. I've bought a ton of commercial profiles in the past and liked playing very few, even though I liked how the sound samples sounded. With these, I like the way they sound when I play them. And so many of them! That's what really floored me. There's so many profiles in these sets that could become one of my five or so go to live sounds.
    I don't know if it's the magic of that cab you use on most of the profiles, or just your ear for tone in general or what. In any case, apparently what sounds good to your ears sounds good to mine as well. I don't even play any country! I half expected to get these and dislike most, as I dislike most profiles I try. These were worth every penny. In particular I loved the Guytone marsh, and pack one. I almost never like fender profiles (even though I've enjoyed playing through some real fender amps.) but loved these as well.

In general, so many of the amps Played and sounded great in these sets even though I haven't enjoyed them in other profiler's sets.

Helix is tempting, but Kemper still has upper hand on amp sounds. However, I like the competition. I'm not sure if we'll see a Kemper floor unit. Though, it wouldn't require much development, essentially just putting the KPA and remote together in one pedal board shaped case. However, given that they had two designs for the remote and it took 2 years to come to market, I don't think they'll bother.
    If I was running Kemper, I'd already be rolling out plans for a 2nd generation and release that in a couple years. Put in latest chips and give it the ability to profile OD pedals that can be placed in slots prior to the amp block. Then a guitarist could not only capture their own amps, but independent OD pedals. Throw in a couple more effect loops, finish the planned delays and reverbs, the ability to have two amps combined, and roll out a floor board unit and a rack unit w/ optional dedicated foot controller, and Line 6 couldn't compete except perhaps on price.

What I'm hoping is that they held off the release to finish up the new delays. You figure if any feature that gets morphed is going to be an issue, perhaps getting all the new complex delays to morph right?. Perhaps they figured it made more sense to roll it all out at once, rather than release the one only to release the delays a few weeks later? That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

I have the Dunlop DVP1XL, works great. has expression jack as well as regular in and out jacks, and tuner jack. The nice thing about the Dunlop is that the jacks are on the rear, not the side. A side jack wastes valuable real estate in my opinion. (How often to we need room behind a volume pedal as opposed to the left and right of it? That's why I went with it over the popular Mission Pedal

This was awesome, and motivated me to play some Zelda. Got out twighlight princess, spent 15 minutes pushing baby basket that monkey had to shore for 15 minutes, never should have jumped in while holding.

I don't want to use the included cable that came with the remote. Will any run of the mill cat5e or cat6 work? The reason is I found one that is a right angle plug on one end, which will save me 2 inches behind my remote, not needing to leave clearance for a regular cable, let alone the Neutrik. I decided, that I'm going to need to leave my kemper amp on my pedal board, (and subsequently building a new board for that purpose and need every inch I can spare.

I wonder if 3.3 fixes an issue I had with no signal this week. Prior to last week, I've exclusively used the FCB1010 with uno4 Kemper and never had an issue. However, after getting the remote this week, and using an expression pedal set to control volume for the first time (not counting the FCB1010 connected through midi) I lost my signal during for entire performance, that is leading a worship service. Thought it might be related to the Kemper acting odd after exiting tuner mode with the expression pedal. As I had no sound no matter what I did, and determined that the issue must have been a bug in the Kemper, as it didn't register notes in the tuner, which worked perfect prior to and after the service and no lose cables or anything like that. Didn't even get a buzz when tapping the plug on the cable that plugged directly into the Kemper.

If I'm not the only one with this issue, hopefully it's something that gets addressed in 4.0. I didn't really have a chance to play with things today. I just went ahead and unplugged the expression pedal and turned off the setting for it. I don't really need a volume pedal, as I use autoswell effect in my m5 when I need that. (kinda hard to sing, play, and lead a worship service doing the volume pedal dance anyway) I mostly hooked up the expression pedal with the impending morph feature coming soon, having just got the remote this week to experiment. In any case their was no issue today. But that isn't encouraging, as I didn't have an issue all week, before or after last night's service, so I can't really say taking the expression pedal "solved" my issue. That's the problem with intermittent issues, you never know when they'll turn up or how to diagnosis the cause. I'm going to have another guitar and basic signal path set up for the future. We sometimes have a third guitarist that stands behind me. So I'm just going to put a speaker cab sim direct box with a line 6 m13 the church owns and leave it set up and grab it if I ever have another issue. The weekends where someone is using that input, I'll generally spread out the lead and song starting duties to the team anyway, so we can manage if it ever happens again.

Alwainwright. I appreciate the help. However, I just can't see it being the cables, as I only had two, no patch cables prior to kemper input. Again, every thing was perfect before and perfect after. Nothing was loose or unplugged. I only use two cables. prior to input and the M5 which was powered and in bypass mode the entire time. I even pulled the cable out of the back of the m5 going to the Kemper and tapped on it (which I would have heard a sound with a fairly high gain profile and in-ears with my guitar mix up) That alone would have bypassed the one cable and the m5 and even a guitar issue as if both my guitars could have magically lost 100% signal at their output. I played with everything except the input jack on the Kemper (offstage and intact when I checked later) throughout the set and touched nothing until picking up my guitar after the service, putting the expression back down to toe position and instant sound was there and continued to be there as I once again jiggled everything around. I didn't have a pedal board full of ins and outs. two quality cables, and visible power and a bypassed m5. (the only thing I wish I tried in hind site was going into tuner mode on the m5 and seeing if I got a signal there.) believe me, I would LOVE it to be a cable and more than happy to throw it out. I have a budget to replace broken things like broken cables and wouldn't personally cost me a dime.

I suspected that there was something glitchy with the Kemper getting the muted by the volume pedall (used as an expression into jack 5 on remote-no signal passing through it) As if somehow once the Kemper got muted it forgot to unmute even though it visually left the tuner in toe down position. The only thing that changed with my set up was using the remote and an expression pedal to it (a very good one with a Dunlop Xl ) If there was a cable issue, I couldn't recreate it after.

For the time being, I am going to unplug the expression pedal and turn off that exp pedal input set up for it, at least for this weekend, not doing any swells with this set list. If I need to mute I can just press the tuner. And just for the sake of it, I'm throwing out the 1 cable.

I just got a remote and used it all week and it worked perfectly every time. I lead worship at a church. All week, and during soundcheck and a run through of the setlist tonight, everything worked perfectly, as it did all week, and nothing was moved as I left everything set up all week. As soon as I walked out on stage and the service began I had no sound. Nothing, no noise, no clicking popping, the exact thing you'd expect if the Kemper was stuck in tuner mode and muted. I initially thought it was a loose or broken cable.In the middle of the song, (while singing) I moved my volume pedal to access tuner and there was no signal going to my Kemper (as it didn't register the notes I played) After the service I went back on stage investigate and it worked perfectly as it did all week and prior to the service. I'm 99% sure the issue was with something in the Kemper, which scares me because I don't know if I can depend on it in the future, and we have two more services in the morning. Here's why I think that.

Here's what it can't be: The sound man was getting no signal during the service when the issue occurred. I switched guitars between songs. I changed rigs in a performance. It wasn't an issue with the Kemper effect loop, as the loop was bypassed on all the rigs in that performance. (and that wouldn't cause the tuner to not register a signal anyway.) I pressed the tuner button a couple times to go into and out of tuner mode. Later I pulled the plug on the volume pedal. I bent down when during instrumental section of a song and checked the cables going from my guitar into my line6 m5 and from there to the Kemper input. I brought the volume pedal heal to toe numerous times (which is running as an expression pedal in to the kemper, which is set to control volume) The volume pedal seemed to be functioning well anyway, since it put the Kemper in tuner mode in heel position, and back to normal in toe position. (at least everything looked normal on the remote, except it not registering notes from my guitar in tuner mode) I couldn't see the Kemper itself since it's wired up off stage in a closet

Thus everything that could be checked during the service (except the input of the Kemper since it sits in a closet off stage) was checked. Right after the service I walked up on stage and everything worked perfectly, I double checked that the cable going into the Kemper input wasn't was solidly in place, just in case it was barely making a connection. If one of my cables wasn't working good, it would be quite odd, since nothing was cutting in and out, popping cracking or anything, and there wasn't a lose jack or anything like that, before or after. It's really odd, since if there was some sort of software glitch going on, the Kemper didn't get powered down or anything. The Remote was functioning normally prior to, and after the service, and visually looked like everything was working fine during the service, aside from the tuner not registering my notes during service. No my guitar volumes weren't down.

The irony is that I didn't even use my wireless system this weekend, opting to play it safe with a cable. It's really disconcerting, because it could have been quite disastrous, as we play to a click track and there was a new song we did this weekend in which I start with an 8 measure riff, thankfully the team covered well, but it could have been quite worse. To make matters worse, I usually sing lead on 3 or 4 or our five songs, and we transition every song to the next with me usually speaking during the song transitions. To make matters worse, I'm often playing the lead guitar parts and starting songs. As I play with a different combination of volunteer musicians each weekend (we have 3 drummers, 6 guitarists/bassists, 4 keyboardists, and 6 singers that each service a weekend or two a month) with about 40 songs that are used once every month or two, It's not like we can easily prep for a disaster the way a band that plays similar sets with the same musicians regularly.

To summarize, I checked every cable and connection in my signal chain and nothing was not working. I couldn't even get to cut in and out. Besides, any issue it could have been would have been limited to the cables from my guitar to the Kempers input, as nothing later in my chain would affect the internal tuner not getting notes) Thus the issue couldn't have been the effects loop in the x slot, the main output on the Kemper, or anything else in the PA system signal chain. It was 100% perfect before, and 100% perfect after. And zero sound or noise of any sort during the service. I'm kind of annoyed because I just laid out a lot of money for the Remote, figuring it was the professional thing to upgrade, even though I had used my $150 Behringer FCB1010 with Uno4Kemper without the slightest glitch for the past year. (150 services, 100 soundcheck/setlist run throughs, 50 rehearsals, and countless personal practice sessions during the week)

Sounds useful, but only if you have to option to lock pure cabinet to make it global, independent of any other amp settings, such as a "Make pure cabinet global" option. The problem with making things that were global to being savable per rig is that it adds unneeded complexity to folks that want to make an adjustment once and call it a day.
    For example, the thing i love most about the Remote compared to my Berlinger FCB1010 w/uno4kemper is that I can customize the effects switches for each Rig, which is also the thing that creates more work for me.
    I've found a setting on pure cab, I think around 40% or so from completely off that seems to work for me. At some point, I'll feel like experimenting a bit, and when I do, if I feel a change is needed, I won't want to edit each and every rig with the "lock-arrow-save-save-save-wait" dance several dozen times. Even if it's a change I only want to make to one particular amp, I'm probably using that one particular amp tweaked just so in different slots and performances. The way things are organized on the Kemper (and all other all-in-one devices) means that if you like to use a lot of different effects and combos of effects, with a small number of basic tones such as clean, breaking up, crunch, lead that you've tweaked just so, you'll need to use these same amps tweaked just the way you like in quite a few performances and slots.

It would be cool if you could press the tuner switch on the Kemper Remote and get a second level of functions for the Remote's switches. The tuner switch could be made to go to tuner only if you hold it down for a second or two, the way many floorboard tuner buttons are multi-functional, such as the G system and the Pods, among other. Therefore, if you just press the tuner switch, it activates a second mode for the buttons. Suppose you had assigned the X slot, mod, delay, and reverb to the four effect switches. But if you go into the 2nd level (by pressing the tuner button) you could assign those same four switches to control slots, A, B, C, and D. Obviously, external switches can be added, but the problem there is that they don't light up, and of course the physical space on your board. Another major need is the ability to send more midi data, plus the ability to send midi messages with switches, not just when changing rigs. So hypothetically, you could hit the tuner switch, step on switches I and II to bank up and down midi on an external pedal (say an eventide H9) or whatever you need. If it could be set up globally or per rig, that would be useful as well, as some would prefer one to the other. For my uses, if I plan on using 2nd layer controls to operate my H9, I would rather just do that once than have to program the same thing on every single rig. And while were at it, perhaps you could chose to make the 5 rig select switches be able to have a second layer function as well, or choose to leave them to continue functioning as rig change switches, so you can still quickly get out of 2nd layer and switch to a different rig?

As I've said elsewhere, the more rigs you create the harder it is to manage everything. This feature request would enable much more to be done within one rig. For example, just so that I can have a several different delay/reverbs combinations, I need to create multiple copies of the same rig with different delay/reverb settings. However, if I decide I want to mess with my amp sound, say my standard go-to crunch, I have to go to all my rigs that use the same exact amp, and same OD slot, and the rest and copy and paste and save and wait and switch, repeat a dozen times. Or lock lock lock, switch rig, save x3, wait, switch rigs, save 3x,, wait, repeat a dozen times. Therefore, the more you can do without leaving a rig, the better, because it means you can play with your amp's sound and have fewer rigs that use that same amp sound. (If I tweak this go-to sound, that I'm going to use throughout a set list, I have it in number of different rigs, and don't want slightly different versions of the same thing floating around, some that had the latest tweaks and some that I forgot to do, so the fewer rigs I need with the same amp the better) This is a reason that I like having a separate independent pedal, the Eventide H9. As without leaving a Rig, I can instantly have access to dozens of sounds, rather than have to create several identical rigs all so I can use them with 3 different delay presets. And at least for now, it's a huge pain to keep my H9 on my pedal board, which is why I'm requesting the midi part of this feature. Since the H9 can have as many presets of delay/reverbs as I could possibly need, (I think 100 on the pedal alone) I can get all these sounds from there and use them with one Rig.

In my set-up I have a serious need to not have to run tons of cables back and forth from where I keep my Kemper permanently (in a side stage closet) and where my pedal board is on stage. The more things I can leave in the closet with the Kemper, the better. As it's at a church where I lead worship and need to have all the cables to and fro taped down, therefore making practicing and tweaking during the week a long process of moving stuff back and forth, and unplugging an insane amount of cables.

One thing awesome about the remote is that it is small (leaving room for lots of stuff) but that is also its greatest weakness. This is a way to make it do a lot more, and a feature that could simply be ignored by those that have no use for it.