Posts by Grooguit

While I agree that a larger screen would be a nice to have feature it is difficult to imagine how this could be accommodated without either making the unit bigger or removing some of the physical knobs and buttons. If it could be done I would be happy to have it but in a fight between a bigger screen and losing physical knobs and buttons I would back the physical interface every single time.

One way to do that would be to use perhaps pressable knobs. As mentioned above, you could have 6 knobs along with 6 buttons above and below a larger screen. If the knobs doubled as pressable, you could elimitate the 12 hypothetical buttons. So right now on the KPA, in many screens you have four functions accessible with the four soft buttons above the screen. If the screen were taller top to bottom, you could have four more functions accessible at the bottom of the screen. Make it a bit wider as well, and you could have six above and below. That's more than would be needed for most screens, thus features like save, copy, paste, exit, type, browse could be relegated to say the bottom soft buttons. perhaps.

I'd eliminate the mod, del, verb knobs. I would keep the buttons for the 8 effect slots (10-12 effect slots perhaps in a future KPA).

Yes and No; there's a bunch of things that could be upgraded on the first gen. There's a handful of features that competitors have that would need new hardware to integrate, some of these features being kind of useless. There are also some advantages that come from the KPA's limitations.

Having briefly owned a Helix, I found it just as easy, if not easier to get things set up the way I like it on the Kemper, and that was before the editor came out. Nor do I see why having touch screen like the Quad is a significant advantage over the robust and plentiful buttons, knobs, and switches on the KPA, although admittedly a larger screen might be nice for visual purposes. How is it any better to twist foot switches than to twist dedicated knobs?

MAYBE there would be some cool combinations of two amps/cabs that would be cool; two KPA owners could chime in here.

But the Kemper's limitations are some of its biggest strengths. The simple straightforward fixed signal path (with pardons to the A-D parallel options and some parallel options for the delay and reverb slots) is quite convenient. There is such a thing on the KPA as locking effect and amp blocks because there is something fixed that is shared between Rigs. The KPA's unique volume attenuating feature is what allows us to boost and cut the gain and never worry about our rigs matching in volume after we do so. An always available looper, not something to worry about DSP or place in individual rigs. Might these things disappear if KPA was to go the direction of the Helix/Quad?

The wide open blank canvas signal path of the Quad and Helix seems cool, but is unnecessary for 99% of guitarists needs. Why do I say this? Because 99% of traditional pedal boards (including ones containing multiple digital pedals with presets) have signal paths no more complex, and usually less, than what you can get with a Kemper. "Oh but you can run multiple rigs through a quad or helix." Yeah, because us guitarists are just dying to give up half of our Dsp so our bassist and acoustic guitarist can plug in our pedal board, and then we can worry about trying to organize all their sound and pedal changes along with ours. Who does this and when would it be useful?

There are also some things that I don's see any reason the first gen KPA couldn't add in future firmware updates with the existing hardware:

1) more midi options; this seems like an oft requested feature and I can't see how expanding the ability to send such simple messages would have any effect on DSP.

2) A handful of new effects. The delays, Reverbs, and Pitch are already first class. The overdrives, are already upgraded and a new one has already been announced as on the way. The compressor and EQs are excellent, though some would like some additional compressor options. The existing mods are good, perhaps something fancier here.

What could be improved in a version 2, that can't be done in the current hardware?

1) Two amp/cab possibilities. How about a parallel mode, where you hear two amps/cabs in parallel with the ability to pan them center or spread out in Stereo? How about a toggle mode so that the two amps/cabs could instead be toggled within the same rig? How about a doubling effect and controls for this in the amp block so that it sounds like two amps/cabs are being used when only one is?

2) How about one or two more effect slots on either side of the amp section with an extra effects block part of the parallel options we have in the current generation?

3) How about fully stereo signal path; mono by nature effects such as overdrives could be left in the center by default or panned left or right?

4) How about more effect loops similar to the Helix setup?

5) The ability to be an audio interface.

6) Bigger screen

7) perhaps six soft buttons along with 6 knobs above AND below the much bigger screen. This would reduce the need for as many feature specific buttons and knobs, since the bigger screen and extra buttons could be shared for many features.

Having just bought a stage, I hope they don't roll out a 2nd gen anytime soon. The only time I'd consider selling the stage is to replace with a hypothetical version 2. And whenever that is released, version 1's are going to drop in price. So at some point, all of us are going to take a loss if we want to upgrade. If they come out with one tomorrow, I won't be able afford/justify making the switch for some time anyway and it won't make my Stage any less awesome than it is now, even if I get a case of GAS. So I'm not worried about it.

Here's what version 2 should do:

1) Add an extra effect slot on each side of the amp, maybe 2.

2) Allow the very excellent Graphic EQ to be part of the amp section, as an extra option alongside the clarity, definition etc. That way if your core tone requires this EQ, it can be part of the amp/cab section/profile or whatever, also saving an effects slot for something else.

3) audio interface capabilities

4) four mono effect loops like the Helix with the ability to pair them for stereo.

5) Keep the fixed signal path format

6) keep the automatic volume compensation; (this and the fixed signal path are what set the KPA 1 apart from alternatives like Helix and Neural.)

7) Fully stereo signal path: mono by nature effects such as overdrives can be left center, or panned left and right.

8) Stereo amp modes: the ability to set up a single rig with one of these three choices.

a) default mode is one amp/cab, similar to the current generation, but also having a setting that creates a stereo doubling effect of that one amp/cab.

b) Toggle mode: allows two amps and cabs that can be toggled between without leaving the rig, both with access to the doubling effect mentioned.

c) Blend mode. You hear a parallel blend of two amps and two cabs. A pan control moves the 2 amps/cabs apart in stereo, so that the left output is one amp and the right the other; in the center you hear the amps blended in both outputs.

(I believe these amp modes would all be perfectly compatible with the full stereo signal path and could be made to maintain Kemper's automatic volume compensation. )

9) the ability to save amp sections as singular amp/cab units as well as two amp/cab units with whatever go-to amp modes

10) KPA version 1 rigs and profiles can be imported and then further tweaked with the new kpa v 2 features

For me, I've never cared much about whether profiles or effects are really 100% accurate. For example - the new Kemper Drive presets. I'm not concerned that they exactly match a Klon, KOT, BB, etc. They just give me new things to try out with the profiles I use. Same thing could be said of all the profiles. Are they really that exact? And if not, what does it matter? If they sound good and feel right, they're good.

I agree with the sentiment. For a long time the mark of good digital modeling was merely how close it got in tone. What the KPA solved was not merely a closeness in tone, but the feel, warmth, lack of digital harshness. Digital is now musical. So if a pedal were profiled and wasn’t accurate tonally, as long as it wasn’t introducing a digital harshness, stiffness, or a two dimensional version, it might still produce something useful. Actually the result might be something unique but in a good way. It would just have to be advertised that way, that it may or may not accurately capture the pedal being profiled, even if it gets in the ballpark. And that seems to be the case with the Quad capture of pedals, in the ball park but noticeably different in a lot of cases.

There are zillions of AB comparisons KPA/Amp to be heard.

I know of two people who could actually prove that they can decide wether it's the KPA or the amp.

that’s what I don’t get. Even if the QC “got closer”, how would any of us be able to tell? KPA Users rarely can feel a difference to the mic’d sound ( even when playing solo in a controlled environment and concentrating with all their might to be that guy that can feel a subtle difference) let alone hear a difference 2nd hand, and even less be able to hear such a difference of someone else playing over a YouTube video. If you can hear a difference it’s likely user error or a variable in the ways the reference amp and digital versions are mixed, converted, etc to compare in a video. As we all know as well, a minor change in volume often makes the same thing sound different. Thus if we can hear an audible difference between the QC and KPA, I’m inclined to believe it’s the QC that isn’t faithful to the original, as we know the KPA is

Yes!!! I've had the same thing, twice yesterday( while on beta 8.05) and twice today (with release 8.05)

I've contacted support this morning. My issues happed with and without rig manager. Mostly without.

I had a couple crashes since getting the stage in November or so, (prior to the latest) but figured it was just glictchiness with the various beta's/releases as 8.xxx has rolled out

I'd hold off. My 2 month old stage which had worked perfectly since I've had it, (except for a beta crash in December) has had crashed a numerous times ever since I went to 8.05, first issue with the Beta and now with the Release. I've contacted support a couple hours ago as it did it twice last night (still on beta) and twice today (with the latest release)

I wouldn't trust Pete Thorn video of anything. Everything he plays sounds magic, He'd make a Squire Bullet with rusty strings, a maxed out Metal Zone through a pig nose amp sound good

No news is good news for those of us that already have a Kemper!

Not if they roll out new features in OS updates for free! I'm starting to wonder what else in the world could they add to the kemper that they already haven't added, that the existing hardware could support? All that to say, I'm surprised the Namm seems to have snuck up on all of us. haven't seen any threads about it. I hadn't even crossed my mind until Sweetwater emailed me about Namm sneak peaks. I wonder if there's an actual Namm, or if it's just virtual?

*Rig manager is perfectly fine with M1, ignore the one issue I mentioned about it asking me to enter my passcode. I had updated a bunch of passwords when I got this Mac, forgetting I had updated my kemper passcode as well. Once I entered my login info in the preferences in Rig manager it worked just fine and stopped prompting me. So that minor issue wasn't one at all and had nothing to do with this being an M1 mac or even a new Intel mac, just a user error.

So the short of it. M1 is glitchy with some hardware and recording software for now, but in my experience is perfect for using Rig Manager.

Update: I got to try up out rig manger with my Kemper Stage today. The Rig manager software seems to work just fine on the M1 mac running Big Sur of course. Only hitch is this:

When launching it I get this meaningless message each time. "Cannot log into PROFILER Rig Exchange. Please verify your user name and password in the preferences." Ignoring this and just Xing out the pop up window; I still can click on the Rig Exchange and audition rigs in it. So not sure the issue there, but it doesn't seem to matter either way.

I am able to monitor my KPA on the M1 using my 3rd gen focusrite 2i2. However, the actual software for the focusrite isn't compatible yet, not sure why Rosetta doesn't make this work. So I instantly am able to select the audio interface as it's recognized just fine in the audio setting in system preferences and monitor my kemper just fine, even though the focusrite control software says there's no hardware recognized.

I launched Reaper, my DAW of choice and discovered that it seems to work itself. However, I'm having issues with third party plugins. For example, if I open an old project that has Waves plugins I cannot even bypass the Waves plugins to open those projects. Even choosing SKIP just prompts me with the same window again. The issue there is also that my Waves plugging need to be registered for this Mac anyway (also requiring me to update since I'm on version 9, which was "new" when I upgraded to Gold in December 2018. Now they're on version 12 (How did they get from version 12 from version 9 in just 2 years and a month?) IN any case, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to open those old projects containing waves pluggins even if the waves plugging are bypassed and not operable themselves. So perhaps Reaper isn't working right yet.

I also cannot get EZ drummer to work. Even though it's now authorized for this computer, it says there's an issue with the audio interface in the window of that plugin, despite hearing audio through the interface just fine from my guitar in the audio track that's monitoring the Kemper.

So the short is this: Rig Manger seems to work just fine. If you're doing audio recording, you may want to wait a while to get an M1. Thankfully, I'm not doing any recording projects for a while, so I'm not too concerned about it at the moment.

That's how Rosetta worked in the transition from PPC to Intel, but not how this new version works, mate.

What this one does is translate apps during installation; there is no further involvement beyond that point. This means that there's no ongoing CPU hit by a software-translation layer as was the case previously. There's still a theoretical penalty 'cause apps are translated but not optimised for AS, the latter being something only devs can do, which they will over time. In the meantime 'though it's turned out to be an excellent transition tool by all accounts.

I see. Well good news so far is that everything I use my computer for seems to work just fine. It’s pretty robust, so even if many programs won’t be running at max efficiency, don’t think it will give me any issue; not in the middle of any recording projects

I just got an M1 max pro last week. Will have to fire it up soon and see. I opened rig manager and it booted right up, without the Kemper connected at least. So Rosetta at least was able to do that. And btw Rosetta is something that apparently just runs in the background undetected, not something you have to mess with to get non supported apps to work right.

Any variety of Dunlop ultex is a great inexpensive option. I like anywhere from their .88, 1.0, 1.15. Their Delrin picks also sound great.
    For pricey picks the best sounding for acoustic I’ve tried is V-picks Jalepeno. I tried a ton of V-picks and found the tone of the Jalepeno to have the least chirp of all their picks and it produces such a huge tone. At five bucks a pick they last a good amount of time and are a triangle shape, giving you three times the wear thanks to three identical edges.

Well good news everyone. All of the mentioned products, Kemper, Quad, Helix, Axe (whether all-in-one floor or head/rack versions) have midi jacks. Which means you could sit any version of them, all-in-one, head, or rack safely behind you in some capacity and control them cheaply with something like the Behringer midi controller. Or you could buy something that costs as much as what you’re trying to protect (RJM mastermind) and exposing IT to all the wild-beer chugging, stiletto heel stomping maniacs that frequent your shows who are aiming for the screens of your floorboards.