Posts by Drwiddly

Thanks for your reply. We used the FCB manual to do the calibration and everything seemed fine until we started moving the pedals. They didn't respond as I expected in that the display showed 06 at heel down and --- at toe down. I have an FCB with an Uno chip and calibration shows 0 to 127 which is what I expected to see. I assumed the response was a feature of the Uno4Kemper chip.

i will ask my friend to check the settings in his KPA though. It's a couple of years since I set mine up and I can't remember where they are either

A friend has just bought a Kemper and an Uno4Kemper chip for his old FCB1010. He called round earlier as he wasn't confident about replacing the chip. I fitted the new chip and everything works as expected except both expression pedals only seem to work towards the end of their travel.

we tried calibrating the pedals twice but it didn't seem to alter anything. During calibration neither pedal showed 0 at heel down or 127 at toe down but the tuner activates on heel down on the volume pedal so it must be zeroing.

I have no experience of the Uno4Kemper chip so I'm at a bit of a loss. Has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution?

In my (small) home studio I have a full range monitoring system and guitar cabs. My KPA sounds great through the monitors and great (but different) through a Matrix amp into the cabs. Through both at the same time it sounds awesome. All the range of the profile coupled with the 'amp in the room' punch from the guitar cabs is an intoxicating combo. It may not be completely accurate but, when it sounds that good, who cares?!!

Isn't the GM50 the power amp module that you install in the back of your cab? It's just as elegant a solution as the Camplifier but it is dependent on you keeping your cab. I'd want to try any cab I was fitting it in with a Matrix power amp before installation but it could create a really nice powered guitar cab/powered frfr cab.

Orange cabs are great quality and, as you already have one, I'd stick with that for the moment. You can always check out alternatives later.

Mesa cabs are great but hugely expensive in the UK so may not be an option. I've found that a combination of guitar cabs and frfr sounds huge (if not as accurate as pure frfr) so adding a dxr10 or similar to your rig could be worth a try.

Is anybody using a Mesa fifty fifty? I've got a chance to get one at a great price and thought it might might be a nice alternative.

I've tried my KPA with a Mesa 2:90 and a VHT 2:50:2 into guitar cabs but I think that valve amps add a bit too much colouration. The sound is already coloured by using guitar cabs so I prefer the Matrix power amp which is more transparent. Just my opinion.

I own both a KPA and an Axe Ultra but I use them separately.

I see from your original post that you use a couple of fx units with your Kemper so you clearly feel that the Kemper's fx are lacking in some way? Personally, I like the Kemper's fx and don't see the need to augment them but we all have different needs. The fx in the Ultra are top quality and it has many that the Kemper doesn't so, if you feel you need them, the Ultra will provide an excellent fx platform. You can use the KPA in the Ultra's loop and set up your fx chain using Axe Edit.

As to value, it seems to me that 1200 Euro is at the top end of the price range for a used Ultra but it's not hugely overpriced.

Hmmm ... interesting responses. I've yet to take the frfr plunge with my kemper (apart from monitors in my studio) but pretty much every guitar cab, hi-fi speaker and monitor I've ever owned has benefitted from a breaking in period to a greater or lesser extent.

I've known professionals in the hi-fi industry run new pairs of speakers continuously for 2-3 days prior to a trade show to break them in properly. Perhaps modern materials and manufacturing have reduced the need for this?

I've used an FCB1010 with the standard uno chip for the past 8 years or so. it's done hundreds of gigs controlling Pods, V-Amp Pro, Voodu Valve, PSA-1, JMP-1, GSP1101, Axe Ultra and now the KPA and never let me down once. Not bad for a toy! ;)

Despite being a previous customer, I wasn't aware of the survey until I saw a post here on the final day. I would have completed it anyway but was grateful for the discount code so I used it and also bought two more profiles. Hard to believe how greedy some people are to take advantage of what was a generous offer - bah!

I've owned a Nova System (sold it a while back) but I don't think the effects were better than those in the KPA. It's certainly possible to control the KPA with the NS but it's not the most flexible midi controller so, unless you already have the NS, I'd recommend a dedicated midi controller such as an fcb1010, for use with the KPA. It will give you much more flexibility, greater control and it's a much cheaper option. Add an Uno4kemper chip and it's pretty much plug 'n' play.

BTW, the Nova switches work on release rather than depress (like most stomp switches) so it takes a bit of getting used to and can lead to a delay when switching patches.

It's very easy to over think this. Looking at your original post, I would say assign the gate on a per patch basis. I can't think of an instance where I'd want to switch a gate in or out. The wah can be controlled by the expression pedal using settings in the KPA so both of those can be left out. There's not many instances where I'd want to switch reverb in and out unless I was using it as a special effect so, I'd be thinking OD, Boost/eq, mod, pitch & delay but your needs may differ.