Posts by Stratosurfer

Hi Kemperians!

This is gonna be kinda long, sorry :)

I have a Marshall JVM 410C but since I'm a bedroom rockstar, I often go digital and use mainly the amp sim plugins and/or my powered toaster. The thing is I'm really not 100% satisfied with the digital amps including my toaster. Yesterday (again) I stumbled upon the DI track which viabcroce had put here on the forum. It's like a night and day difference compared to my DI. I've been in this for more than 20 years so I know the "tone is in the fingers" or "the guitar, the pickups, the wood, picks etc. effect the tone" stuff. I'm not a pro but this is smth different that I'm asking here. Yesterday I was checking out the newly released Amplitube 5. After trying out a couple of amps, (altough I watched all of the promo vids and decided to buy the full package before the launch), I went "no this sounds like sh*t. I won't spend my hard earned money on this nice looking & sh*tty sounding sim." Then I tried viabcroce's DI on it and it sounded like heaven. Then I found another DI which was an 8 string. That sounded horrible too. No definition, no nothing. viabcroce's has a lot more bite, definition and more gain. I tried to reach out to him but learned that he left the forum. The guitar I played for this is my custom shop Les Paul 57 Goldtop Reissue. The stock pickups were too low output and way too warm for my taste. I had the following pickups on one of my other guitars: https://www.thomann.de/intl/gibson_490r_nh.htm. Actually Thomann does not list the bridge version at the moment but the LP's got both this and the bridge one.

So... my LP with these pickups sounds so flabby, and way too warm that made me decide not to purchase the amplitube. Do you know what's going on on viabcroce's signal path? Which pickups he uses? Maybe a DI box, or a preamp after the gtr? If I had that sound on my guitar, everyday would be like christmas to me :) Or is there smth wrong with my guitar? I was considering to buy a Fishman Fluence Tosin Abasi set. If it's gonna make my LP to have much more bite, sustain and definition, I'll go for it. What do you think?

Notes:

- Attached you will find the recording I bounced for this.

1)viabcroce's DI,

2) My DI,

3) viabcroce's again

4) My DI with the GE-7 engaged (settings attached)

- I plug directly into my Scarlet 6i6, I use Ableton Live as DAW.

- I compared mine and viabcroce's DI's on other sims, again viabcroce's is way more satisfying to my ears. But the difference on the Amplitube 5 is bigger.

- The 8 string DI kinda sucks on all other sims.

- I disabled tone knobs on my LP and use a pick made out of brass to have more definition.

- My tuning is GDGDGD. My lowest G string is pretty thick so it makes the sound warmer. But other strings are closer to a normal 0.10's set. You can hear the maj 3rd on viabcroce's recording but I can not play that with the tuning I use. It's only roots and 5ths on mine.

EDIT:
    Tried it with my Strat loaded with Seymour Duncan JB Junior and my handmade guitar loaded with Seymour Duncan Hotrails. The result is the same. They both are way more boomy and flabby compared to viabcroce's DI :/

Hi there!

Altough I re-calibrated the exp pedals on my FCB 1010, the wah pedal seems to operate reversely. It does the high pass effect on heel position rather than toe. It works reverse! I could not find a way to fix it. I usually use the wah with the bypass @ heel mode. On the Pedal links page, it seems that the midi signal is ok. I meanthe wah pedal value is 0 at heel and 127 at toe. And the pitch pedal is engaged to the wah pedal. I tried all combinations of the top buttons on the pedal links page ( Wah Pedal > Vol, Morph Pedal > Wah etc) It just doesn't work. Please help!

Hi everyone!

I control my powerhead with a Behringer FCB 1010 (Uno4Kemper chip installed). I used to use the wah exp pedal for whammy effects with this setup, but it does not seem to work anymore. I'm on 7.5.2.1856B. Is it just because I updated the OS or is there something else? The volume pedal page used to have a wah to pitch button but it does not exist anymore. Can anyone tell me how am I gonna be able to use the wah pedal as a whammy pedal?

Thanx & Cheers!

Hi everyone!

I have loads of IR's and I want to use them in my profiles. I downloaded the latest CabMaker. I open my IR's, convert and save them. I try to drag and drop the .kipr files on the cab section on RM but it doesn't work! I tried to create a new folder under my Local Library and get them in that folder but RM says "Rig Manager didn't find any suitable files to import. This happens if the items are unknown or damaged." How will I use my IR's? Help please!

P.s.

I'm on the latest firmware.

When testing different IR's, I just open a second window of RM. In the first window I choose my rigs and in the second window I have my IR folders.

When double clicking on any IR in a folder it loads instantly into the cab section of the rig chosen in window 1. So you can try out IR very fast by just going through the IR list.

I found out that there's no need to open a new window. Load up your preset, then go to your IR folder on RM, simply double click on the IR you want to try out. It automatically loads that IR up on the cab. :)

I think you're dragging to the wrong place.

Try the Local Library under All Presets. You can also make folders there to keep it organized.

Thanx man it worked! But it really makes no sense to me :) I mean they're both "Local Library". Anyways. Thank you all!

Thanx for the replies guys. But I can not get it done. I'm on a Mac. RM version: 3.0.111 (16175). I created an IR's folder under my Local Files directory in RM. I open my IR's folder in the finder. I drag and drop the .wav IR file directly from finder (Mac OS) on to the IR's folder on RM but the RM just doesn't accept the file. No messages nor anything.

Wait a minute. I'm really confused. I have IRs (all .wav files). Do I have to first convert them to kemper cabs using the cab maker (or whatever it's called) and then load them up on the RM as a preset file, then drag and drop on the cab section of a profile? Is this called "dragging and dropping IRs"? I think I'm missing an important detail here. Can you please help?

Hi folks! I just uploaded a profile of my home made amplifier with a cab IR my friend made. The profile just chugs! I find it perfect for low tunings. And I think I've found a very effective way for profiling. The result is so satisfying to me but I may not be objective. That's why I uploaded it on the Rig Exhange. The profile name is TT HI GAIN. Please let me know what you guys think.

Cheers!

The DI track from Viabcroce is great. Thanx man!

The thing is; it sounds way better than my own DI's. Excuse me if I missed the info in the original thread but I wonder what's been used when recording this wonderful DI. What's the guitar, pickup type and configuration, is there any preamps used etc. I compared this DI with my own DIs using some best sounding amp sims on the market. They sound mostly OK with my guitars and always almost perfect with Viabcroce's DI. OK I know the "The tone is in the hands" thing and I 100% agree with that but the difference is way more than that. Viabcroce's DI has lots of attack, gain and sustain compared to my tracks. My guitars: 57 Goldtop LP Gibson 490R pickups (substituted original vintage low output pickups with the 490s). viabcroce

Hi everyone!

Even if I cannot manage ToastME to run. it's a great service :) I'm on a Mac and using a Scarlet 6i6. My routing is Kemper midi-out to Scarlett midi-in and Scarlett midi-out to Kemper midi-in. I run ToastMe. In the devices menu I select Scarlett on input device, controller device and output device menus.All midi channels are on 1. On Kemper, in the system page, "MIDI Global Channel" is set to 1, UI to MIDI, Pedals to MIDI and Send MIDI Clock boxes are un-checked. On page 13 of the System Menu, MIDI PrgChg# is set to 1. After all these settings. I click "connect" on TM, the button turns green and says "connected" but it does not connect to Kemper. Am I doing smth wrong? Thanks in advance for the help.

Edit: I did try quitting and re-opening Toast Me and it didn't work either.

Edit 2: I disconnected the midi cables and connected them again and it worked! :)

Hi there!

I've purchased loads of amp profiles but nowadays, I feel that the cab IR's has a BIG, BIG effect on the guitar tone. I'm almost like "No need to spend more money on commercial profiles. A good free profile will do. But I must buy a bunch of professional IR'S".
    So I decided to purchase some. Any recommendations on commercial or free ones?

And of course... Which one do you think is more important; a good profile or a good IR? :D

Thanks! Like I said, it's my first time making profiles. The part that I have issues with is finding a profile that it's similar to the amp I'm trying to profile. My 68 Metro/Friedman and 68/69 Scumback Plexi amps both sound different than any of the profiles I can find and I even purchased many Plexi profiles. My Metro/Friedman uses 6ca7 tubes for the power section 2 NOS Bugle boy 12ax7 on V1 and V2 and an original Mullard 12ax7 on V3 and has an internal "variac" which you can set at 90 volts.The profiles sounds close but not close enough. I'm just wondering how close the profile that you have has to be in order to make your own profile?

Thanx for the great work and profiles man! I had the same issue and solved it. I don't look for a similar profile to start profiling the amp. I just profile the amp once. Then using that profile, I start over. For my JMP-1 preamp profiles, I had a random marshall profile. I started the profiling process. When it's done, I saved it as JMP-1-001. Then when the JMP-1-001 profile is active on the Kemper, I started the process again. So the profiler did the job using a very similar (actually the same jmp-1) profile. I named the new profile JMP-1-002. It seems to work fine for me.

I was about to order the Theta from Thomann but then decided to search it on forums. The firmware updating process is like a joke. It totally changed my mind and now I'm waiting for the guys at ISP to solve this. I think it's a marketing mistake to sell an unfinished product. With the updating process, it's still a prototype imo. Will keep my powered Toaster forever anyways.