Posts by Karl_Houseknecht

Mucking around using a Kemper Rack to profile my Dirty Shirley head through a Torpedo Captor X. The noise gate in the Captor X is disabled. After profiling, I get a warning that a noise gate was detected. The resulting profile is lower gain than the reference amp, even after refinement.

As a troubleshooting step, I connected a cable directly between send and return and profiled the cable. It resulted in a successful clean profile without the warning.

I know others are using a Captor X to profile, but I haven't heard reports of them getting the noise gate error. I've opened a case with Kemper support and am waiting to hear back, but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this issue.

You guys are a riot. Last month, the Kemper was the best thing since sliced bread, had the best amp tones, and could do no wrong. Now, because it doesn't look like it's getting an update soon it's frustrating and limited.

Did the tone change for the worse in the last month?

If anyone wants an editor, fine. Have it. I personally don't have a use for one. The knobs on the front are just fine. Try saying that about any Fractal gear. The Helix has a great editor even though the front panel is ridiculously intuitive and fast. But hey, a floor unit makes having an editor nice.

I'd like Kemper to firm up the effects lineup as the last thing that needs polish tone-wise on the unit. Give me better overdrive pedals and better reverbs and call it done. Then give everyone an editor. Lots of people could die happy without ever needing another unit after that.

I don't know where any of those guys went. I'm happily using the Kemper as well as the Helix and AX8. All of them are so good now that it doesn't matter. Any of them can get a great tone. Far cry from the days of the PODxt and the Behringer DEQ. :D The forums were so lively back then. Now everyone's basically splitting hairs. I rarely post anywhere anymore, but I saw you and had to ask.

Oh, don't mistake me. The Line6 journey was good. I didn't make too many glowing comments about the destination. Important distinction. :) Line6 HD and Helix...they're a lot more similar than you might think.

Fractal and Kemper are the top of the line for a reason.

The way I took it is this:

He's more than qualified to voice an opinion IMHO, 'cause, just as in my case where I bought all the PODs starting with v1.0, he's made the Full Fractal™ journey. That's a whole lotta money, time and loyalty.

Meh. I've made the entire Line6 journey, the entire Fractal journey, and the entire Kemper journey. LOL! All one leg of it. All were great journeys so far.

Piece of overpriced junk is a bit of a stretch. Okay, maybe even a complete mischaracterization. Take any advice from someone that can't figure out how to turn the unit off with several thousand grains of salt.

What it sounds like to me is someone found the tone they've been looking for. Good for him. Hopefully he simmers down a bit. The Kemper is a great piece of gear. So is the Axe. So is the Helix. Got all three here beside me. They're tools. I don't call my screwdriver an overpriced piece of junk because it can't tighten a bolt or drive a nail. I have a wrench and hammer for that.

Being a good mechanic is all about knowing how and when to use the tools in your toolbox.

Agreed Dimi84, I have landed at the same conclusion, although I still keep hoping maybe I can find a profile out there somewhere. I was totally not prepared to face the reality that I wasn't going to be able to just easily find an existing profile and instead may have to go off and spend tons of time in the studio profiling all my amps.

If you have that tone handily available in one of your real amps, you can easily grab a quick profile to see if the KPA is in the ballpark. Honestly, I don't personally find the need to run through all kinds of expensive mic preamps and studio gear to get excellent sounding profiles. Play around with a couple of mic positions and spend the 15 minutes that takes and you'll have your answer.