Posts by lonestargtr

oozish, It depends on what kind of blues. Both packs have some decent clean to mid gain stuff (3P, /13 FTR in pack 1 and Little Walter, Vibro King, Victoria in pack 2). There's a little more variety in Pack 2 I think so I'm leaning more toward that for you.

As far as possible amps for another pack, I'm making a mental (and now written) list based on things I want to have and your suggestions: Hiwatt, Orange, Marshall offset, blackface Super Reverb… ??

Mike - I noticed your rig changed after the second pack with you now using a Ceriatone rather than an EVH 5150 III. Can you elaborate on why you chose that one over the Fuchs? Maybe your just using the power section so it doesn't matter???, but I'm curious as I'm in the market to buy the ODS clone and make some profiles.

To be honest, I got a really smoking' deal on that road case but it was too narrow for the EVH. I was also looking for a Dumble clone at the same time and found the Ceriatone on eBay at a good price so I got that one. I also rented a Fuchs to profile from a local cartage company for some variety and to see how close they were. I don't know if you can tell from the clips but the overdrive character is very similar. All in all, the Ceriatone has less low end than the real Dumble but is similar in many ways. Anyway, the Ceriatone fit and I'm just using it for the power amp and some stage volume so I'm just using the Ceriatone until I can get Jamie to build me a dedicated power amp. Fuchs was way more expensive, I think, too, but sounds great. I might give the Fuchs a minor advantage over the Ceriatone based on the amount of time I spent with it, but I'm not sure if it outweighs the extra money. They're all cheaper than the real Dumble. ;)

But this pack sounds even more like "the real thing"! Very much fun playing them and I don't even have to tweak a bit to make them sound right. The only rig I tweaked was the Dumble actually.

Question for you Michael, which firmware did you use when profiling these rigs? Did you switch to 2.6 beta before profiling or were you still on 2.5?

These rigs seem to have more low end than the first pack and they also seem to be a little more direct, without being in your face that is.

I'm actually still using firmware 2.5. I didn't do anything differently, but there are always slight differences when doing different profile sessions. I did all of these in the same location so they should be fairly consistent with relation to each other. And yes, the Dumble is the one you'll probably have to tweak the most. I'm not sure why but those profiles were the ones giving me the most grief… ha. Feel free to turn knobs til it sounds right to you.

Hey guys! Thanks for all the kind comments. I'm glad you're liking the new profiles. I'm always curious to see which ones people gravitate toward. I have a bunch of Dumble and Dumble clone profiles left over. I tried to include a basic sampling in Pack 2 but there are lots of different variations with all of the different switches (bright, deep/mid, rock/jazz) and input configurations (clean, overdrive, normal, fet, boost). I probably have 120 different ones but some are definitely better than others. Not sure how many variations people would want, esp. since some of the differences are pretty subtle.

As far as the download messages, I've gotten a few people that have gotten that "unable to download" response so I just re-sent the order and got it squared away. I think it somehow has to do with the timing of it somehow. They show that they've already been downloaded but maybe the initial page wasn't finished loading or something weird like that. I can't really re-create it on my end, but if you have any problems just let me know and I'll get it sorted out pretty quickly.

I hope the information sheets on the website are helpful too. I wasn't sure how much information everyone needed but I thought the more information the better. Ha. And I know the dilemma of trying to decide which profiles to use in a live setting. I've incorporated a half dozen of the new profiles into our live show so far. So many times it's not a matter of better or worse, just flavors. I've had really good luck live with the Vox AC30 Red, Dumble Cln, JRT 6V, Bogner, Diezel, and Little Walter. Touch base when you guys have had time to try them in live situation too.

thanks!

I can't get to the profile pack - the link simply redirects to your home page now.

After messing around with it I used IE instead of chrome and got further - there are definitely some big issues with the web site in different browsers. IE had different issues but I could see the link under the profiles drop down from IE and could then use chrome to bring up the page that the menu points to. So to recap the link to the profile pack 2 in your original post doesn't work in chrome for me, and works in IE sort of but can't use it.

I'm glad you finally got to the profile pack page. I don't have IE on my mac but I just checked it with Chrome and everything is working on my end here. Not sure what the issue is. Every now and then I got glitches on Safari when I was working on the site and had to reboot Safari, but it all seems to be working for me. Thanks for the head's up, though. I'll keep an eye on it and see if others are having similar issues.

thanks!

Thanks for the kind comments! I have found quite a few in this pack that I really love and a lot of them I like a lot. Between this and the first pack, I don't know what else I would need.

To answer some questions… depending on the feedback from the Dumble clips included in Pack 2, I can probably do a Dumble/Dumble clone pack in the near future. There are actually 2 profiles of a real Dumble in Pack 2 as well as 3 other profiles of other Dumble clones.

I should have them available to everyone in the next day or two. I'm just finishing up all of the e-commerce and website details.

thanks!
    Mike

Any ideas on a potential release date Michael ?

Robman, I'm working on it. We're actually out on a week-long road trip right now so I'm testing some of the profiles out during sound checks and a few during the live show. Profile Pack 2 is getting really close. I'm hoping to get that out within the next couple of weeks. The Dumble one is still a work in progress. I'm still debating on how many profiles to include on a separate Dumble pack. I'm including a few profiles in PP2 so that'll be a test to see if people want more of those or if those will be enough for most peoples' purposes. Between all of the switch settings and the 3 different Dumble/Dumble type amps I have over 100 profiles and some are definitely better than others. At times, I think they all sound good and at other times I think they're all kinda average. Then I hear Mats play them and they sound great. I'm finding it a difficult amp to really nail because it is so unique and has such a strange sonic footprint. Some of the switch settings are really subtle and some are pretty pronounced and I'm not sure how deep most players will want to go with those. The real Dumble is actually taking more tweaking than the clones and I'm not sure if it was just the actual amp or something in the chain when I was profiling it. It can sound great, as Mats recordings show, but it just takes more tweaking and I keep going back and forth on how much to do to it. Long-winded answer, I'm sure, but soon…

On a lighter note, I got to spend a day off in CA visiting some of my tone gurus: Tom Anderson and Seymour Duncan… Enjoy!

[Blocked Image: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/lonegtr/96026FF2-D7E1-4B39-8281-65F97D3CB850_zpspc10fpbp.jpg]
    [Blocked Image: http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/lonegtr/4154ED0D-27A6-4792-B355-2D0B99DD10B1_zps3xjuydkl.jpg]

There may be some info worth considering through giving this a look starting @ 12:02:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Great video. Very informative. I'd gotten shots of Carlton's and Mayer's Dumbles for settings but it's nice to be able to compare them, although as the video says, all Dumble amps are voiced slightly differently.

Kinda reminds me of the Lukather "Beat It" isolated rhythm tracks. They sound so thin by themselves but sound huge in the mix. So much goes into the mix of a studio album that you never know what the guitar sounded like before the engineer got hold of it.

I think that sometimes sounds that work well in a mix or in a band setting may not sound as good by themselves. That doesn't mean that all sounds that sound good in a mix or band setting don't sound good by themselves. I can listen to some of my live profiles on their own and at certain times, depending on what I've been listening to just prior, they may sound like they have too much midrange or lack bottom or whatever. Then the band will come in and we'll play a song and it'll sound perfect. Or I can tweak a profile to sound great to me when I'm playing by myself in headphones and then I play it with the group and it sounds hollow or thin. Then there are times when I work on a profile and it sounds great by itself and with the band. I think it depends on a lot of variables. As much as I love using a Klon pedal, every time I listen to it at low volumes and when playing at home by myself, I think it's boxy and weird sounding. In a mix, though, I don't know if there is a sweeter, fuller pedal. I think it's true with pedals, amps, and now… profiles.

I'm not making excuses for my profiles or bashing anyone else's because music is and should be a matter of taste and it'd be a boring world if everyone liked exactly the same thing. It's whatever you can find that makes you want to play or create music. I'm glad that there are a number of different places guys can go to find profiles and that they have different sounds to them. Profiling isn't an exact science and the same amps can sound totally different depending on who is profiling them. I'm just very glad that some of you are finding them useful. For those that don't, I'll keep working and try to capture something that you may eventually find useful too.

SixtyCycle and Sunface, thanks for the great positive feedback!

Mats, those clips sound awesome! Thanks. I just had amp heads so I used my trusty 3rd Power 212 cab and mic'd the Classic Lead 80. It has a little of the EV flavor because it's a high wattage speaker but without the "sheen" that I associate with EV's. I prefer Celestions myself too. I have used 65's in the past too, but they are similar to Greenbacks in that they roll of some top end, so I just gravitate to the CL80's personally.

I'm probably about 2 weeks away from releasing Pack 2 and it will probably include a handful of the Dumble and Dumble clone profiles. If there is still interest in more Dumbles after that, I can probably put together a Dumble package. I only had the real Dumble for an afternoon so I couldn't go back and re-profile things later after listening, which is what I prefer doing, but still got some good ones. I have around 100 between the Dumble, Fuchs and Ceriatone. Some require more tweaking than I'm used to and I'm not sure if that was operator error while profiling or not knowing exactly how to set the amp since I had never played a Dumble before, but that's been a bit of a challenge, which is why I enlisted Mats to help me. Dumbles and clones definitely have more eq-ing going on with them than I'm used to, but the end result is harmonically rich as Mats clips demonstrate. I'm going to do a little more road-testing as we have more live shows over the next week or so, then I'll probably release the 2nd pack.

Is there any chance you can profile the Jackson Britt 30 or any of the Jackson amps?
    http://www.jacksonampworks.com

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a Jackson amp. They're pretty rare around here. And thanks for the info on the live rigs, guys. I'm definitely not changing my formula at all, I just wanted to get something similar to what many of you are using (K10 and similar) so I could just hear what you're hearing as well as what I already had. Some profiles just come out great the first time and some I have to do a few times to get the perfect "take," at least what I was looking for out of it.

The Dumble is definitely the hardest amp I've tried to profile. It may have to be its own set. I've already got 80 different Dumble and Dumble clone profiles over the past 2 weeks to sort through. I'll probably include a couple on the 2nd Pack as well. Overall, I'm really happy with where I'm at with the 2nd pack so far. I'm still doing some road-testing with the new profiles. There are some definite winners. The "problem" is that there are too many good options sometimes. It's just a matter of taste and preference at any given time. Many from my first pack are still my go-to profiles, but many of the new ones are just as good. Some of the newer high gain profiles (Bogner and Diezel) kicked some serious tail during our last show's rock medley.

Thanks again to all of you for the kind feedback and answering my questions!

I just have a quick question for you guys using my profiles live… Are most of you using the QSC K10's? Or another powered FRFR? Or a different way? I'm just trying to get a consensus on how your KPR's are being monitored onstage. I recently got a Mackie SRM550 (seemed a bit beefier at the time than the K10) and I am noticing a big tonal/eq difference at different volumes. Thanks!