Posts by lonestargtr

"For the first time I used the 3P crunch profile as my main crunch tone all night with a tele and my les paul and I was the happiest I've been on stage yet."

VESMedic - That particular profile is the basis for many of the song profiles I use. Every time I try to replace that profile with a newer one, I end up going back to it because it just fits in the mix. Glad you like it.

Thanks for the support and great feedback. Yes, stock Anderson pickups do seem to have a bigger frequency response, especially on the top end. I have stock pickups in my Anderson Hollow T and that's the guitar I do most of my profile testing with. If I can get the profile dialed in on that guitar, it usually still sounds good with starts or humbuckers.

And I've noticed the treble response from powered speakers changing with volume as well. They may sound muffled at low volumes but then clear up when you crank them up. That's why I find myself bouncing back and forth while working on the profiles to make sure I'm auditioning them accurately. I switch between headphones, in-ear monitors (UE7's), studio monitors, FRFR powered speakers (Mackie SRM550, SA1521), and my FRFR Atomic 50w wedge. They all sound slightly different so I have to fight the urge to eq them for any one of them. I get them where I'm pretty satisfied with the profile on most all of them and then I test the profile during soundcheck through our Digidesign D-Show console with Sennheiser wireless iems. I treat that as the end goal… getting them to sound good onstage. Some profiles are easier to dial than others for sure. And sometimes I have to re-do the profiles if I didn't get the mic blend perfect the first time. All that is to say that I'm very glad so many of you are happy with the treble on my profiles. I still tried to leave plenty of tweaking room for those that like brighter sounds, but I'm not a quiet player onstage and the treble becomes more pronounced as volume increases, so I may err on the side of warm over bright, but I still like to hear clarity. The benefit of that is that the single notes do still sound full and I'm glad someone else picked up on that.

Keep the feedback coming. It all helps! Thanks!

This is killer news... Awesome
    choice of amps you have there, but I think what's more important is how you profile/your recording chain, so I'm personally happy to see these amps in your hands profile/micd your way! Did you use some of the same technique as you did on your first pack?

Yes, I'm still profiling the same way. Every profiling sessions may have slight differences but for the most part it's the same.

I appreciate the feedback from you guys. It's nice to know that the profiles are working out for you. I've been working on a bunch of new profiles. Here are some of the amps that I've been working on: Morgan CM50 & TB40, Little Walter 50 & 22, Diezel VH4, '65 Blackface Bassman, ÷13 JRT 9/15, CAA PT100, Bogner Ecstasy, Vox AC30TB, Fender Vibro King, '70 Marshall 100w Super Lead, and '79 Marshall 2-input MKII. Trying to get another good mix of cleans and gain amps with some tones that I didn't have in the first batch like the Vox and higher gain stuff. The ÷13, Little Walter, and Morgan amps have some incredible, fat clean tones for country and modern country stuff. The british Vox was one of the better AC30's I've ever played. And I was trying out a few of the new profiles during Saturday's show. The '70 Marshall is basically a 100w Plexi circuit and it was my favorite solo tone and the Diezel Ch 3 was awesome for our rock medley at the end. I'm gonna live with them and work with them on the road a bit before releasing any more, but I think there will be some good ones in the next pack. I am really gonna have a difficult time deciding which ones to use. My profiles that I've been using are working great for me, but there are a few of the new ones that I like just as much. It's nice having options. Thanks again for your support!

One of my friends works for Voodoo Lab (it is just across town from me too and they make great stuff). Maybe I will suggest that they name them differently!

Tim,
    I hope they work out for you. As far as the Voodoo Lab GCP, I'm sure it's too late to do anything about the layout but it is kinda illogical to step through the presets 01, 02,…, 09, 00, 11, 12… It really only matters if you're using the left/right cursor buttons, which I often do because it's easier to hit the bottom row than the top row. It just would've made more sense to start with 00 at the top left. First world problems. Ha

Ground Control Pro question for you Michael (or anyone else who might know): I just got one yesterday after watching how easy it was in your video, and seeing that nice bright preset display. Only problem I have is "0" slots. If I switch from 16, 17, 18, 19 - the next is not 20... but 10. I could work around this... except for bank 0, for which there is no Kemper midi number for this. Or is there? It is set up for 1-128, NOT 0-127 as far as I can tell. How do I get around this problem?

Unfortunately, the GCP is labeled wrong imo. The buttons should go 0-9 instead of 1-0. That's just a design flaw you have to be aware of when stepping through the presets with the left and right cursor buttons. It doesn't limit you as far as calling up presets once you map it the way you want it though. The GCP doesn't have to call up the exact same program # that matches the preset number. That's just how it comes stock. You can map it to call up whatever program change # you want for each preset in Edit Mode. The instructions for that are in the GCP manual. If you don't have a manual, let me know. I have a .pdf.

On the Kemper, you can assign any rig to any available program change #. Just call up a rig you want to use and hit the "system" button. Scroll to page 5 and "assign" it whatever program change # you want. At first, you may want to just use the factory-assignments in the GCP with the exception of 00. If the assignments are off by 1, you can adjust the GCP in the setup section to start at 0 or start at 1, which should fix that problem. Once you learn to edit the GCP preset parameters, it's pretty easy. For each preset, you can call up a program change, set CC#'s for the expression pedal, rename the preset, etc.

Michael,

love the profiles I purchased. You certainly have not wasted any time getting to an elite level of profiling and I look forward to future offerings. I watched your rig run down video and saw that you often use a gcp on stage. I use a gcp with eleven rack live but have been hesitant to use the kemper live without a foot controller. Certainly, if it is good enough for you it will work in my applications. How did you program the gcp to use it live? Do you use 10 patches with no IA switches or 4 patches with IA switches? Any advice and references would be greatly appreciated.

Also, how do you manage your presets? Do you use rig manager or something similar? I have mac products.

Thanks so much for the kind feedback. I use the Ground Control Pro in the 10-preset mode with no IA switches. Our set list is pretty consistent from night to night so I don't have to change too much. I program it when we work up a new show and it stays that way for a few months with minor changes here and there. I also leave bank "0" as my "basic" profiles. I start with the cleanest sound on the upper left and just work down and to the right as I go with profiles of increasing gain, effects, etc. Those rigs use tap tempo if the delay is on in the rig. That way, if we do a song that I don't have a specific preset for, I can just go down to that bank and use one of my basic tones. Most people shouldn't need more than 10 of those (i.e. clean, clean with delay, slight crunch, slight crunch with delay, leslie sound, long delay preset, solo tone, solo with delay, etc.). It's kinda just whatever works with the music you're playing. I do the programming directly into the Ground Control Pro once I assign the Kemper Rigs that I need with program change numbers. I write those corresponding numbers down and then sit in front of my GCP for about an hour pushing buttons and storing presets, program changes, cc changes (if I need something other than volume pedal - cc007). The GCP is a sturdy box and I have yet to have a problem with it onstage. Once you learn the layout of the programming it goes pretty quickly.

Hey guys,

I've been working on the next batch of profiles and I think there are some really special ones. I'm trying to figure out the best way to organize and arrange them into groups so it's not just one big collection… still working on that part.

In the meantime, for those who haven't purchased the Profile Pack 1, you can download a free sample of my '72 Marshall if you just sign up for the mailing list on my website: http://www.mbrittprofiles.com If you have purchased the first Profile Pack, you can still sign up for the mailing list to find out when the next group will be released.

Commercial over, resume your Thursday/Friday...

thanks!

I just watched your rig rundown, very cool.
    Are the patches with whammy, harmony, wah, that sort of thing included in the profile pack?

I didn't include the whammy or the harmony in the first one. The string/ducking effect one from the gear vid is included. I wasn't sure how many people would be interested in the effected tones, but I'll probably work up a wacky pack at some point. Ha. I need to play around with the way settings because that's one of the few things I haven't had a need for yet.

Thanks guys for all the feedback and input!

So Mike I take it you do not use any IA buttons in your setup. All your presets must be pre-configured with stomps off or on in different, adjacent slots, or something like that? Hmm hadn't been doing that myself. The display looks awesome, and what is lacking on FCB101's etc.. and small on others. I'm tempted just for that on-stage readability. Would that require 2 pedals if you wanted a wah plus volume? Lastly does that setup preclude the use of "wah to volume" eg. in the KPA? Thanks for your input and your time.

That is correct, I do NOT use any instant access buttons, just presets. The Ground Control is capable of running in another mode that would enable some instant access buttons, but the current states may not be shown on the pedalboard since the communication is only one-way to the Kemper. That means I wouldn't be able to tell by looking at the pedalboard whether the modules were on or off without hitting the button a couple of times. I do like the bigger alphanumeric display because it's easier to find rigs when you name them. I had the FCB101 for a bit but missed the 10 preset per bank and bigger display. If you want wah and volume in the same preset, it might be possible with the wah to volume feature. I haven't tried that, so I'm not sure if that would work with this setup. You can make it so that each preset sends its own CC so one preset can make the expression pedal be a wah and the other a volume and another a whammy.

Didn't want to get lost in "quote" land but to answer some questions:

1. Thanks for the info on the LED's. I am planning on getting those fixed soon. That's the only issue I've had with my Kemper so that's a good sign.

2. The foot controller in the video is a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro and it's pretty much just calling up program changes, which just about any foot controller can do. It does map them wherever you want on the controller which is nice and I do send CC changes for the expression pedal and tap tempo button. It's easy to program for me, but I've been using Ground Control stuff for a long time, so maybe that's why.

3. As far as the Clean Sense, I just leave mine on 0.0. I messed around with it when I first got it but then just set it back to 0 and haven't touched it since. None of my guitars have high output pickups, though, so it might be very useful in those instances. Most of my guitar pickups are in the same range since I like hotter output singles, mild P90's and low output, vintage type humbuckers. I'm not intimately familiar with the clean sense past my limited experience with that feature.

hope this helps and thanks again!

Mike

from the webpage:

"These profiles were primarily developed for live use so most profiles use the same or similar 3rd Power speaker cabs with similar mic’ing and Celestion speakers."

...and a tube amp for amplifying the KPA...[/quote]

Yes, in the beginning, many of these profiles were designed for the purpose of me using the Kemper in a live situation. Once profiled, I have also used these profiles on many recording sessions with great results and several other Nashville and Dallas session players have used them as well, so to just label them "live" profiles would not be entirely accurate. And they were not simply developed for amplification by a tube amp. I developed them for going direct into a p.a. or recording rig or whatever direct monitoring system you choose. The tube amp onstage is for a low-end thump as well as having a backup guitar amp rig. I'm not mic'ing the cab or using it for anything other than stage volume so the stage doesn't feel so quiet. It's also highly baffled so the high end isn't offending anyone else onstage. Just wanted to clarify that these are not designed for just running into a tube amp.

Clearly, it would be too much to expect everyone to have the same opinions of my profiles, and my style of playing and my profiles may not be everyone's taste and I understand that. I respectfully disagree on the comment regarding the compressor. It's easy to shut it off without effecting the integrity of the profile to any great extent. The mix on the compressor is only set around 50% and the amount of compression is near negligible. When using in-ear monitors with powerful drivers millimeters from your eardrums, it's sometimes nice to have a little less transient assault on the ol' eardrums. Tone is a subjective thing and I'm just thrilled at the amount of positive response I have received, so a heartfelt THANK YOU to all who have commented and emailed me. I don't expect everyone to think the same way I do, but I'm very happy that so many have found my profiles useful and even "inspiring." I just know what I like to hear and was hoping others may want to hear something similar. Feel free to adjust and tweak to your liking.

I just shot an impromptu Gear Video at last Friday's gig for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?…wkAo&feature=youtu.be</a>

or on my site: MBritt Profiles My Rig

Thanks again and if you have any other related questions, feel free to ask...

are these "raw" profiles ?

ive bought some profiles only to find lots off eq in the fx section.

turning them off, the basic profile is average , nothing special. :(

Most of these profiles have flat (or near flat) eq's in the amp section. I don't think there are any eq's still on in the fx sections but if there are, they are minor. I'm a fan of good raw amps sounds. There may be a subtle compressor on a few, which can be easily turned off without a huge difference. Over time I have removed most additional eq's.

No comment on clean profiles?

I'll leave it up to others to comment on the quality of the clean profiles, but I just want to let you know a few of the details on the ones included in the pack. There are roughly 15 clean profiles including the following amps:

3rd Power Dream Weaver prototype Blackface - it's somewhere between a blackface Bassman and a Deluxe, very even and tweakable
    67 Deluxe Reverb - 1967 Blackface Deluxe Reverb with gain on about 4
    Bassman 100 - silverface 100w Bassman for scoop mid silver face sound
    Divided By 13 ERT33 - 4-EL84-based amp, a little like a Vox but with a bigger bottom end, crystal clear on top but not brittle
    Divided By 13 FTR37 - 4-6V6-based amp, like a thicker Deluxe sound
    Divided By 13 LDW39 - EL34-based amp, a little Marshall-y but more unique top end
    62 Bandmaster - blonde Bandmaster with brownface transition sound, somewhere between a Tweed and Blackface
    Princeton - Headstrong Lil King version of a blackface Princeton Reverb
    Bassman - 1968 dripedge Bassman, blackface bassman clean sound

You can hear clips of these sounds on the website: www.mbrittprofiles.com/profiles

Hope this helps.

Michael , Have you used any ther commercial profiles ( e.g. - of Andy's TAF profiles etc... ) or just your own amp profiles live ?

I've bought some amp factory profiles in the past but I think everything I use live is stuff I've profiled except for an Avalon preamp profile for my acoustic. I just get exactly what I want to hear out of mine. It's all subjective.

Could not resist .... those profiles sound really good and feel just right. Great work. Was just wondering why the compressor is "on" in so many profiles? Is this just a personal preference? May be due to the direction of more Country like stuff? Anyway very good and highly usable.

That's a good question about the compressor. When I first started using the Kemper and getting it ready for our live show, I was trying to replicate my then-current rig, which had a Wampler Ego Compressor on almost all the time, but at a really subtle setting. And since I used the best profiles as reference profiles when I made new profiles, those modules were copied onto most of my profiles. It's strictly personal taste as far as the compressor goes. On many if not most of my song presets in our current show I've turned off the compressor. It's whatever works for you. Many of the ones that were left on were just a personal judgement when I was recording the sound cloud clips. I would call up a new profile and start recording and tweak it a tad, sometimes turning the comp off and sometimes leaving it on and then however it got recorded, I saved it.

I really wanted people to be able to make these their own and tweak to their own personal taste so don't be bashful about turning the fx on/off, etc. or eq-ing it to your taste. I tried to leave plenty of room for such things.

As far as the firmware update, all of the available profiles were done prior to the update but all future profiling I will be doing will always be at the most current version.

thanks again guys!
    Mike

As far as single profiles, Let me give that some thought. At this time I would prefer not to go completely a la carte because it would mean re-doing the website and delivery system and it also seems a bit unfair to those who have already bought the package. I've tried to be reasonable with my pricing (less than a dollar a profile) and if I sold them singly, I'm not sure I could go that low per profile. Maybe I can make a couple of smaller packages at some point down the road to meet in the middle?

No regrets here. Good selection. No thin sounding stuff. Very fat tones. Tasty effects in some profiles. Lots of cleanish to crunchy sounds.
    Waiting for Pack II now. Hurry up please. Thanks!!!

Thanks Bluesman and everyone else. Glad they're working out for you guys. Can't wait to hear more reports after this weekends' gigs. I'm brainstorming and trying to line up some new amps for another pack now but don't want to rush too much, but I'm definitely on it.

I put up a link on the website (http://www.mbrittprofiles.com) for a mailing list and I'll be sending out updates from that as well as on here if I put up anything new. I think I got all the bugs worked out on the delivery system so no more individual files (my apologies).

Have a great rest of the weekend!