Posts by lonestargtr

Playing starts at 2:32

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I was just coming here to share this...

Glenn beat me to the punch. He is such an amazing player and I was honored that he liked the Morgan rig enough to use it on a new song. He has such great taste, feel, and sense of melody. This song deserves to be listened to over and over. Check it out!

Yes, the long-awaited Morgan Pack is out. It took me longer than I anticipated but I finally got there. I know it's a bigger and more expensive pack but this is in cooperation with Joe Morgan as his first official Morgan Kemper Pack and I want to make sure he is getting properly taken care of for his great amps. I know the stock AC20 is a gold standard for Kemper profiles so that was a bit daunting but I hope my AC20 6* holds up against it. It's no secret that the RCA35 was my go-to profile on the road last year, and the other amps have some really neat tones and textures. I damaged a tendon in my right ring finger about 5 weeks ago so it's been in a splint and it's hard to play (or type) cleanly with it so I sought assistance from Tom Samulak to help me out with the demo video. I hope the tones work for you guys!

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I haven't heard much feedback on the Brown Bag Pack. My buddy Phil made a video for me, though, of my EVH-inspired plexi rig...

Thanks Michael, great article, thanks for sharing and as well thanks for the free rig. I have the 2020 pack already and I think know the amp pretty well already from that. But this rig indeed adds a lot of the authentic EVH vibe. Very cool :thumbup:8)

I did profile the amp a little differently on the evh rig, using only a 57 like he would and then running it wide open through the power station lets the amp cook without straining the speakers so much, so there's a cool brightness and clarity to it. If it's too bright, you can bring the definition down depending on your guitar and pickups but Ed's tone was pretty bright back then.

Just want to give a head's up... I'm giving away a really cool EVH-inspired plexi rig I made this week in honor of the greatest guitar hero of our time. You can download the rig at the bottom of the blog page. I would love to hear people who can play better than me if they want to share their playing of the profile. Thanks!

https://mbritt.com/2020/10/15/losing-a-legend/

My buddy Scott is playing the profile here:

Curiosity question...

How important is knowing what amp is being profiled? Is it vital to know what amp is making the sound you are hearing or is just hearing a great sound enough? I mean, most profilers already change the names so as not to infringe on copyrights. Is it just in the "knowing" the amp brand/model or do you just listen to the tone with no care about what amp it is?

I just tested both back to back and I think that is the same profile that I put in slot 4 of the Classic Rock Performance and it sounds the same to me. I don't hear any gain or level difference on my machine.

Try this...

go to mbritt.com and look up in the top left for "your purchases". Click that and follow prompts to enter the email associated with your PayPal account. That should take you to the DPD Cart (my shopping cart server) to see the past purchases. If they are older purchases (pre-2016) you may have to contact me directly.

Thanks for that. I thought I tried it but apparently, I didn't :)

Works now.

But all of the rigs should be set to Bass and not to Guitar in the default pack when you buy it, since it's a Bass pack...

So sorry for the wrong tags. I looked up earlier versions of the pack and I had changed them all to bass, but something got messed up between me sending them to Steve for tweaking and such. My apologies. It is fixed now.

I have to ask, I think your switchback 212 is wonderfully balanced, but having bought the pack, I liked the cab on the OD100 a ton, ¿what are the specs? is it a 2x12? It sounds wonderful with the 69 Marshall (wonderful cleans, never expected that, then I saw it was from Eric Johnson, and it clicked, love it clean, love it overdrived, stock cab and with others), cab mix and matching gives another dimension to this.

My other question regarding this, I am hesitant to buy your IR packs exactly for those reasons, I do not know how much will be lost from the amp taking out the cab and putting one from an IR conversion. Maybe some magic is lost there. Is it better with the kemper cab pack? I wonder how much do you consider it would be lost, I am in the search for some immaculate 4x12 greenback cab sound with fatthead and a royer mic (gives a very realistic full expectrum of what you may hear in the room in my experience).

I have 2 different 3P cabs I profile with, a 212 Switchback and a 112 Switchback. They do have slightly different tones. In general, I tend to use the 212 with higher wattage amps, but I do profile other amps with it as well if it's already set up. I use the 112 for lower wattage amps as a rule, but again, if it's already set up and ready to go I'll start with it. Like I said before, I've profiled those same cabs hundreds of times and each Kemper CAB I get from it is slightly different depending on the amp being profiled. Every now and then I get a CAB that works on lots of other stuff. I have a handful that I keep saved as presets and if I come to a rig that I don't like a whole lot tonally, I'll swap cabs to one of my faves to see if it sounds better to me. It just increases my chances of liking a rig. Slight changes in mic position from setup to setup or changes made on purpose... these all have impacts on the finished cab sound, along with humidity, actual mics being used, Chinese Zodiac year, etc.

As far as the IR pack goes, I am not sure how necessary it is. I would treat it like the saved CAB presets, in that it just gives extra options for rigs that you may not like as is. After all of these years and having made them, I tend not to use them much. I just usually either prefer the profiled CABS or my saved CABS. I just try to limit my options a bit so I can get work done without disappearing down another rabbit hole.

lonestargtr Have you tried the Kone imprints with the Valvetrain? If so, what do you think?

Soooo.... I had tried the Kone imprints briefly with my Celestion coax (similar to Kemper Kone) and just really didn't like it but I think it was the coax speaker I didn't like. But today, after reading this, I thought I'd try out the Kone imprints into the Valvetrain. I was very prepared to not like the results as I'm just accustomed to what I normally hear. But I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised. Even though the Valvetrain uses a guitar speaker, the amp is voiced to work with the speaker in a way that makes it close enough to flat response that the imprints really work pretty much as intended. Without the Kone imprints, there is a bit of low mid bump and rolled off highs that I get used to and that kind of go away at higher volumes with the Valvetrain. With the Kone imprints, it sounds a little like a layer is removed and it sounds and feels a bit more like an amp in the room, especially at the volume I use in my office. Now, of course, it's a can of worms to decide which imprint I like best with each profile, but all in all, I think it's a great added feature and I can definitely see myself using the Kone imprints at home and maybe even on the road (if going on the road ever exists again). Thanks for the comment and setting me off down this road!

I've been using the 69 Greenback cab with other profiles, it often makes them sounding great, but I notice that they all end up sounding very similar to the 69 Marshall profile the cab is borrowed from.

Is that normal, that the cab is so dominant that imparts 90% of the final sound, or I am doing something wrong?

The cab, to me, is a the tonal fingerprint. The amp portion is more about the gain level and some eq balance levels, but the cab plays a large part in the overall tone. I like to save a few of my favorite rigs' cabs as presets and then use those if I encounter a rig that I don't particularly care for and swap them out. I try my handful of saved cabs and if I still don't like it, I usually take that rig out of my Kemper. I kinda like that the cab separation algorithm isn't "perfect" because even though I use a few of the same actual speaker cabs for most everything, I get very different CAB results because of the different amps being profiled. Even profiles using the same exact cab/speaker can yield varying Cab results which just gives me more options when looking for tones later.

Here is a collab vid that Bart Dietvorst just released. He asked me to contribute some tele noodling to a track he had and then got a bunch of other guys too. Chicken pickin' is something I love but there are guys that play circles around me, but it was still fun. I'm also attaching the Bogner Metropolis rig here for anyone that wants it. It's just an edited version of the one in my 2020 Pack. Enjoy!

External Content www.youtube.com

Boggy Metro Y1 2 BD - 2020-01-13 10-11-32.krig.zip

My take...starting with the Grab and Go through the Crank and Go, MBritt profiles have more top end than they had pre-2017. You can tweak the EQ and definition to get the older ones closer, but these seem to be more present...in a good way. I wonder if Michael did that at the profiling i.e. turned up the treble etc. or in post tweaking.

Quite possibly a little bit of both. Also, my preferences have changed slightly and I may have also just improved after having made so many? I'll throw some luck in the mix too. And I did make an effort to try to save my eardrums from excessive tinnitus, so my average listening levels have also dropped a bit, which could also account for more high end in the profiles. If they're better suited for lower volumes, there may be some slight tweaking necessary for really loud gigs. It's a trade off, but I do feel like the newer ones are more balanced. Mic placement may have changed slightly, but not dramatically.

I was bored at work today, so decided I wanted to make a ditty using the 2020 pack. Unfortunately, I'd left my iLok at home, so had to make do with Logic's Drummer and stock plugs. Ho hum. Anyway, I recorded the different layers with my iPhone and cut them together.

That is so cool! Thanks! Great playing!

Hey Michael,

Do you happen to have a list of all the amp names you used for this pack? I see everything timestamped in this link but I don't know all the official amp names and have no clue what im looking at except a few :). This would be greatly appreciated thanks! Also, what is the TrainWreck amp modeled after? What was the idea in mind with that amp?

I have to try to keep trademark'd brand names out of my advertising, so it makes me have to be creative a bit with the names. Most are probably easy to figure out. And once you buy the pack, it's easy to see in the amp tags in Rig Manager what they are.

As long as this post doesn't get shared around too much as it's on a private forum, it should be pretty safe:

13 LDW = Divided by 13 LDW

3P AD = 3rd Power American Dream

3P BD = 3rd Power British Dream

57 Deluxe = Fender '57 Handwired Tweed Deluxe

63 VibroV = Fender '63 Vibroverb Reissue

67 ProVerb = 1967 Fender Pro Reverb

68 Mars 50 = 1968 Marshall Plexi 50w

72 Mars = 1972 Marshall Lead 50

Boggy Metro = Bogner Metropolis

CA OD100 = Custom Audio Amplifiers OD100

CA Tripper = Carol Ann TripR

Mars 800 = Marshall JCM800 (80's)

Match Club Man = Matchless Clubman

THat Royalty = TopHat King Royale

Too Rocky CRS = 2 Rock Classic Reverb Signature

Wrekt DLM = Trainwreck Dirty Little Monster

As for the Trainwreck, I'm not super familiar with those amps. It belongs to a friend of mine and supposedly it was made after Ken's death by someone close to him using all the same sourced parts Ken used. Both of the wrecks I've tried had the similar gnarly gain to them, very abrasive, but touch sensitive. It's kinda like the difference between a NASCAR and a production car... no comfort features, bells or whistles, just power and as little in the way of the "engine" as possible.

Let me know if you have any other questions that aren't covered in the pdf document above, too.

Mike

Thanks for all the kind reviews! I never know when I put something out if it will be as good as what I've done in the past. I only know what I think about it ahead of time, aside from a handful of beta testers. I appreciate the feedback for sure!

I added a video link in the FAQ section of my site with a tutorial about importing performances. Most of the die-hard Kemper users prob have that covered by now, but it's helpful to people that haven't had it as long. I will be adding more tutorials as well and am welcome to ideas if you have them. I'm trying to make good use of the "stay-at-home" orders and keep trying to be productive. Let me know if you have any ideas.