Posts by lonestargtr

I have D set as a loop and run: TS9 > PoT > KTR > Zendrive. Each on its own sounds like you'd expect, but I'm amazed how well they stack. I use the loop cause I want the wah before the OD/distortion.

That's kinda what I'm thinking of doing. I have my timmy, archer, kalamazoo, dimension c, and flint in the loops on the Hex into slot D in the Kemper (when the Hex arrives, anyway).

Yeah, the Flint sounds really great.Love both the reverb and the tremolo.

I did a comparison a couple of years ago with the Flint tremolo and the Kemper one. I thought the Kemper sounded almost as good, with an edge to the Flint:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Yeah, the Harmonic Tremolo on the Flint is different than the Kemper trem in that it has a pitch wobble too and I've tried adding a vibrato with the same rate but it's still not the same sound. I went through a ton of profiles and culled about 12 clean rigs to use with real pedals in the loop and they all sound pretty fantastic. The funny thing about the Kemper is that even when I talk myself into doing a gig with a real pedalboard and amp, I end up deferring to the Kemper because it's still so much more convenient than mic'ing a cabinet, plus the fx are more powerful and easier to to program, especially the delays, pitch shifting, (now) reverbs, and the morph function. They are things I just can't do easily on a real pedalboard.

I did try a pedalboard in front of the Kemper when I first got it and wasn't wowed by the results. I've since heard from lots of Nashville session guys and worked with guys who use pedals with their Kemper on the road and just thought I'd try some pedals in the loop. Granted, the main reason is that I've completely fallen in love with the harmonic tremolo in the Strymon Flint, but I thought why not try some gain pedals in the loop while I'm at it. I'm currently waiting on a Voodoo Lab Hex so I can choose between multiple pedals in the loop, but I'll keep you updated on my progress. It's definitely not a necessity but I feel compelled to try new things so I don't get complacent.

Ok, so for 5 years I've been using the KPA without any pedals most of the time, except for a Line 6 M9 in the fx loop for chorus and octo verb. And just because I wanted to be prepared for any pop up gigs where I needed a real amp pedalboard rig, I built a pedalboard recently that would cover a whole show (for the most part). It sounds great with my main amps I keep at home and it's been fun to play on. So, this week I've been experimenting with some gain pedals (and a couple other pedals) in the loop of the KPA to see if I could recreate the tones I'm getting from my home pedalboard rig. I can profile the amps with the gain pedals in line and tonally it's pretty close, but I feel like the dynamics are bigger with the gain pedals in the loop.

Which brings me to my question: How many of you guys use pedals along with the Kemper, either before the KPA or in the loop?

I'm always looking for live-use-rigs which need not to be tweaked intensely, so MBritt-Profiles could be a good deal for me.

Can you recommend a MBritt-Profile from the Free-Rig-Platform, which I could check out for use with our Yamaha-DSR112 - DSR118W-P.A.?

Have you checked out the Free M Britt Rig Pack through Rig Manager or in the downloads section?

https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads/10/Rig-Packs

Here is a cool piece Brett Papa did with me recently. It shows some of my favorite Kemper tools.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

3P MB, MBC - 3rd Power 100W Michael Britt Custom 100

5E3 Dlx - Honky Tonk D'luxe 5E3

67 Lowman - Fender Bassman

70 Mars IMP - '70 Marshall JMP 1930 20W

Boggy Soul - Bogner Duende

Brit JTM45 - Bluesbreaker clone made by British Audio

Cal Texan - Mesa Lonestar

Clampett - JED

CustOdian C+ - CAE Classic Plus

Fried A Hole - Friedman Brown Eye 100

Jack Lightning - Blades Firebolt

Mars Askew - Marshall Offset JTM45 Reissue

Mo Heavy - Mojave Peacemaker

Mule 4550 - Bray 4550

O-Range AD30 - Orange AD30

Rock Man - Scholz Rock Man Sustainor

Sold A PRS - Sodano 50w modified by PRS

Voice 15 - Vox AC15

Let me know if there are any others...

thanks!

I'm attaching a .pdf cross reference guide for the Free Rig Pack. The Free Michael Britt Kemper Rig Pack contains 50 rigs that are found in many of my commercial packs. This Rig Pack is also included in new Kemper sales I believe, so it may be on new machines. There was an earlier smaller merged rig pack that was stock on new Kempers as well. Those merged rigs are not found in any of my commercial packs. If you found rigs on your Kemper, you should be able to see if they are part of the Free Rig Pack using this cross reference guide. It also tells you which profile packs the rigs were pulled from. Hope this helps. I'll follow this thread, too, in case you have any other questions.

thanks!

Of course I was being funny, but at the same time I see so much attention on reverbs and stuff and while it does create a cool palette, I fondly remember the days of guitar players playing guitar solos. I'm glad I grew up in the 70's and 80's. Ha

So has anyone else ever thought you had it all figured out and everything was good with your tone? And then you start rehearsals for your co-headline Christmas tour with Phil Vassar and you’re sharing the stage with another guitar player who uses a Kemper? Using some of your profiles? And he sounds “better”? No? Just me?

The moral of this story is that there isn’t just one way to do things and there’s always room to learn, even when you think you know a lot.

So my buddy Jeff plays guitar in Phil’s band and we all share the stage for about half the show. He’s using a couple of real dirt pedals in front of his Kemper and just using 1-2 rigs, mostly a clean rig and he uses his dirt pedals for gain. Sounds great. I’ve spent years finding the right rig for each song, trying out new ones, settling on my faves. I think I spent so much time fine tuning the details that I may have missed the forest for the trees. Ha. That is not to say the tones I had when I walked in that day weren’t good. They were good and if that’s all you/I heard then they would’ve been great. It’s just when you’re playing with someone else the tones haven’t to kinda match up. His tone sounded a little bigger and rounder.

So I asked what he was using and he said one of the /13 LDW rigs from my very first pack. Probably one of the first 5-6 amps I profiled in my living room when I was first starting to make profiles. I don’t know what’s different (firmware, signal chain) but those LDW profiles are louder than almost every other one I’ve made. So I thought, I’ll try that on a song. So I made a rig using it for one of the Christmas songs in the show. Then another. And pretty soon I was using it on almost every song and just using the screamer or rat module for a little dirt. Now I have to rethink whether I want to re-program our whole regular show using it. I’m still using a couple of other profiles (maz jr, soldano, 72 mars, Helios) but my main tones are that one rig. Who knew?

It’s all what works for you and that can change. Sometimes overnight.

I know my ears change a bit over time and I’ve seen the comments about the new packs being a little more open on top. That is both by design as well as just my ears changing. A lot of it is just volume. I’m prob running less volume now at home and onstage to prolong my ears’ life so they’re more balanced at that level. I’ve also gotten the DynaMount mic positioner so it lets me adjust mics in real-time. Some of it is just a response to what I am trying to mentally fine tune and fix.

So, who else is primarily using 1-2 rigs all night and not trying to use a whole collection for live gigs? And what is your go-to main rig? It’s so funny to me that there are so many different good tones that people find rigs that I never think to use, like this LDW. But it is so muscular and big sounding. I’ll see where this train takes me.

Sorry for the long winded post but I’ve been trying to wrap my brain around it for the last couple of weeks and it’s been working so well at shows I just wanted to share.

hardly any overlap in any of the packs except for a couple of slightly altered dumble rigs are in pack 2 and d-pack. Now the free Kemper rig pack does have profiles that are also available in various packs but I try not to put any duplicates in different packs.

Thanks for the input guys!