Posts by Quitty

Using a non powered toaster here and having no problems.
    I just went live with it and we all could hear it sounded 'chunkier' than usual, but we attributed that to new strings and a temperamental tube PA. Nothing like what Lasse is describing, though.

Settings are as follows;
    -output EQ is flat
    -clean sens at 0.0, dist sens at 0.8. Noise gate at 3.0, using performance mode.
    -using main out left TS, main out is set to 'master mono'
    -used a big bunch of different rigs, all un-merged

Is it possible to have a Direct Amp Profile powered by a stereo solid state amp driving stereo guitar speakers on stage? I've been assuming this would be possible until I actually downloaded 3.0 and found out that the monitor output is mono (hadn't turned the Kemper around in a while I guess or thought it would be TRS etc. or that the Direct Out could be used for the other side). Now I'm thinking this isn't possible.

By the way, I tried running the Main outputs to my stereo solid state power amp and to the guitar speakers (with the cabinet button turned off) and it didn't sound that good. When I use the mono monitor output (Monitor Cab Off checked) with the same DI profile it finally sounds authentic. I thought it would sound the same.

That's really weird.
    Main out with the cab off should sound identical to monitor out with cab off, if i'm not mistaken.
    The only point is that monitor out can have its cab bypassed globally.

Right. Seems like i read over "in one performance" :D
    Hopefully the cross performance delays will be fixed in the future.

I wouldn't hold my breath.
    The point of performance mode is to streamline the sounds of a single performance. Gaps between different performances don't concern Kemper much, naturally.

Anyone remember the length of IR the Kemper truncates to?

The new cab 'removal' is absolutely amazing. I'm dumbfounded.
    Finally i can get good results with IRs! That makes the Profiler so much more versatile it can't be overstated.
    I can't, however, get those IRs into the Profiler.

I've tried exporting some of my IRs via cabmaker, but the results are slightly dull-sounding.
    The graph confirms a -6dB, symmetrical cut centered around exactly 13KHz, which seems a bit arbitrary.
    Right now, i'm trying to see if maybe the truncation of the IRs is the culprit, hence my original question.

Hopefully, someone knowledgeable chimes in!

Haven't updated yet, but the changelog really gets me excited.
    On the utilitarian front we have both support for the Kemper Remote and some greatly needed extra MIDI capabilities for existing users (Thanks, Timo!),
    another decrease in switching time, although i've no complaints eversince the previous update,
    and some general streamlining which - much like a pushbutton ignition in a car - isn't really important but makes you all warm and fuzzy inside, knowing you have it :)

I still need to mess with merged profiles, so i can't comment but this is obviously a big deal -
    but let me just stress how awesome it is to have aux in feed into S/Pdif (!!!) so i can finally jam without actually running a DAW. That's awesome.
    Now just let us profile via S/Pdif in and i swear i'll start opening more informative threads in the future.

So, c'mon guys. What have you been waiting for and what gets you excited about the release?

Tim made over 100 profiles last week. I think we all know he isn't human by now :)

Anyway, i played with the cabs a little - the first gear is a little too loose for me, but the Friedman fills the plexi-ish gap perfectly for me.
    The second and third gears both have a lot to offer when the cab is replaced (either with one of your BE cabs or with a Mesa cab that was profiled with a Splawn Nitro).

There's some great character there. Just needs EQing.

Finally got a chance to try them.

Contrary to the BE, where it was pretty close to begin with, these need to be much, much brighter to even start appreciating them.
    I could tweak them to a manageable level, i think, but as it stands they all sound very similar, simply because they are this muffled.

I'd try the 57 on-axis, and crank the presence.
    EDIT: just saw in the readme that this was on-axis.
    Maybe bring the treble up on the Audio-Technica channel?

The gap is tested to make sure that there's enough room for the string to oscillate - so seeing as the greatest oscillation is that of the thickest string, that is what you want to test out. The smallest gap that works for your 0.009 will have dead notes on my 0.068. The smallest gap that works for my 0.068, however, will be fine with any string with less mass.

As for the weekly set-up, i'm playing a 1-piece maple neck guitar with 7 strings, the thickest being a 0.068, as mentioned. That's significantly more tension than usual, and metal contracts and expands under temperature change. I'm also guessing i'd have more luck with a 5-piece neck, but alas, that's not what i have.
    A day with air conditioning is almost always followed by a truss rod adjustment the next - but that also has to do with the amount of recording i usually do and the fact that i'm a princess :)

I've got a few for you.

First, try profiling one mic at a time. A trained ear can approximate how it will sound when combined (or simply reamp with both profiles and test it out for sure).If you feel you could use a hand with that, i'll gladly help.

As for multi-mic setups, do you have a sound-card with two inputs?
    If so, just use something like Waves InPhase, Meldaproduction MAutoAlign or Soundradix Auto-Align. I might be able to help with these as well.
    If you only have a mixer and no DAW, you should use the white noise trick, which i'm guessing is what FastRedPonyCar explained?

Thoroughly profiling an amp as diverse as the Quickrod is an undertaking, no doubt. You should narrow down some stuff as i believe you'll find that some settings might sound overly similar when recorded - but you can only find that out the hard way :)
    I do believe it's worth it, though. For many, many reasons.

None of which have anything to do with the fact i *really* like Splawns and don't yet have a good Quickrod profile...

Anyway, if you need any help, give me a holler :thumbup:

Contrary to Michael Mellner, i think it's crucial to use the thickest wound string for testing - it simply vibrates the most and thus needs the most space to oscillate.
    The method itself is solid, though - but you need to be very well acquainted with how much of a gap you like having between the fret and string. There are no right and wrong answers here and the 'proper' gap is guitar, string and player dependent.

I adjust my truss-rod on pretty much a weekly basis. I do play a 7 string and with much, much thicker strings than you do so tension is more relevant but climate does move both metal and wood and if you're sensitive about your guitar's performance, it's as natural a procedure as tuning your strings.
    Just be careful, work in small increments and most of all, get very closely acquainted with your instrument to know how you like it and when it stops being that way.

A normalizer that will not impact the sound is a very simple algorithm - it goes through the entire recorded bit, looks for the highest amplitude peak and levels the entire thing so that the peak hits top volume.
    Naturally, as it has to scan the pre-recorded bit, it can't be done in real-time.
    There is an automatic normalizer in the Kemper and it sets the volume at the profiling stage, presumably based on the volume of the whole 'landing spaceship' ceremony.
    The rest should be done by ear.

As previously stated, perceived volume isn't volume per-se. It depends on your monitoring environment, your ears, your guitar - it is very difficult, from a technical standpoint, to speak about the perceived volume of content that is potentially this different (clean vs. distorted, definition at 10 vs. definition at 0 etc).

I strongly recommend going through all your profiles manually, regardless. Choose a reference volume to compare it to and do it over time, but do it nonetheless.