Posts by troykennedy

Here's another dumb question. I really love all the new delays that kemper kindly gave us. I realize that they are all derivatives of some fundamental delay types. But when I am in performance mode and adjusting a rig, when I look at the Delay I can't see the name of the preset. It just tells me what category of delay it was. And after having some of these in a rig for a while I don't even remember which ones are which. Is there an easy way to recall the delay name in performance mode?
    Thanks!

There is probably something simple that I am missing. But when I am in performance mode putting together a set I would like to be able to swap out the amp stack and try different ones without it changing all the effects. It wants to swap rigs instead of just amps. Any ideas? Thanks!

How do you guys set up the Kemper's input gain so that your overdrive pedals and boosts don't overdrive the input into the red? I tried using some petals for a little while and felt like it was killing the dynamic response because it push the front end too hard. But I probably didn't have it set up right. Any ideas?

Hi everyone, I have the kemper remote and have a couple of expression pedals hooked to it. I also have an eventide H9 that I want to control the effect mix levels using an expression pedal. Is it possible to send continuous control midi data to the H9 using my expression pedals through the Kemper head? Does that make sense? I want to keep the kemper head and H9 in my back line with only one cable running up to the front of stage where my remote and expression pedals are. The H9 is in the effects loop of the head. Thanks for any help you might give.

This also is one more thing that will keep me from getting a Kemper remote. I have to use a POD HD500 and an H9 for my effects. I can assign the exp pedal to the delay and reverb mix in those. I am pretty much committed to working this way. No point in getting the remote if I can't use the Kemper effects the way I need to work. When I do use the Kemper live I have to turn off all the effects and us it like an amp after my pedalboard. Not ideal but it works ok.

Hey Troy,

I'd check some settings that for some reasons might have... set by themselves :D

• check the noise gate
    • check the Pick parameter in the Amp section
    • exclude completely the Effects and Stomp sections
    • set the Volume so that the output LED doesn't touch the red, and properly raise the Master volume. How much does the display read?
    • be sure to have properly gain-staged your system. That is, are you supplying the desk a robust enough signal from the Profiler rather than keeping the Kemper's output low and gain more on the desk?
    • how is the Profiler connected to the PA in details?
    • Is the Profiler's channel strip completely clean and with no attenuations\eqs\pads whatsoever?
    • does it sound different in dynamics through headphones?

Let us know :)

Perfect. Thanks bro. I will check that this next week and let you know.

When profiling ensure you hit chords strongly for around 30 seconds so the profiler gets an idea of the dynamic range of the amp.

after profiling play with power sagging for more dynamics and warmth and less 'stiff' feel. Reduced definition for more vintage feel and increase for more modern feel.

Cool, thanks!

You can only compare the profile and your amp when it's mic'd through a PA, it will never sound like your amp does directly.

Yep. That's exactly what we do. The amps are in iso boxes backstage so it's easy to compare. And the profile was done with the exact same mic and placement we use live.

Yes driving the input yellow/red would cause this, you will effectively apply soft limiting to the signal going in. Change your Input Sens settings!

If you need things to be louder then do so by turning up the volume at the other end. If you need more gain then turn up the gain on the amp not via input sens/boosting the signal going in to the front end.

Yeah, I figured that is at least part of it.

We are just comparing it to the same amp as we are used to hearing it through the P.A. The real amp has more pick dynamics, which it how I play mostly. Pickup selection, volume knob, and picking for different breakup and volume. I am just trying to determine of the KPA can respond the same way.

I need to look into how the amp was profiled as well. It may be the technique I used to profile that is contributing to this. But IU also notice it with some excellent profiles I purchased from some forum contributors as well.

Thanks everyone!

We are just judging it from FOH. Thanks!

I have really been enjoying the Kemper. The only shortcoming that my MD and I have noticed is it seems to have a narrow range of dynamics. It's almost as if there is some compression going on all the time. No compressor is on btw :). Just the amp profile.

Feels like when I try to dig into the guitar to get more volume it's just not getting much louder. (I generally set the amp on edge of breakup.) These are with profiles I have made with my own amps. So I am used to how these amps typically respond.

Any ideas? Is there some setting on the guts somewhere I am missing? Would driving the input to yellow or occasionally red cause this? Or it it just the nature of the beast?

Thanks for any help!