Posts by kosjen

After updating Kemper OS to latest beta version and updating Rig manager to the latest version, suddenly no connection between Kemper and Rig manager. Cant switch profiles or anything. I tried flashing Kemper to the official version, and reinstalling/ installing Rig manager but it doesnt help. Tried switching to usb 3/ usb 2 ports but no change. PC detects USB device so i think it is not the hardware problem.

8Hi there,

we'll I'm sending my KPA to be repaired probably next week and I'm quite concerned about all of that. I work outside of my country and this "return KPA to service" bugs me for almost a year since I didn't have time to send it earlier.
    I don't have positive experience with local repair center in the past. Once I sent them one product, they were repairing it for months and they sent it back without even being repaired, convincing me that the product is fine, but it wasn't fine. The woofer in my studio monitor was buzzing, but I guess they didn't even listen to it carefully as I suggested. So, my KPA is suffering from well known issue, distorted and faulty rear inputs. All of my posts on this forum are about that, sorry. I bought the faulty unit. It is first generation toaster model and none of my rear inputs, be it alternative input of return inputs is working. They distort and crackle... it gets worse when units heats up. My KPA is still under 1 year warranty.
    So as I'm quite afraid of this repair process, I'm glad to hear that Kemper support with dealers works fine. Hope I would be able to seek help from Kemper if my local service doesn't fix my KPA.
    I probably wouldn't even bother with this if the SPDIF profiling was possible (right now my KPA cannot do profiling) as I don't like to be without my KPA, which i really adore! :thumbup:

I agree with you Kosjen. The reply from tech support actually got me nervous. "This sounds like a hardware problem" wasn't reassuring. I think they should know by now what the problem is and if this occurred in a specific batch or something. I would hate for sweetwater to send me a new unit with the same problem.

X(

Well in my country, they won't send you a new unit, you have to wait for this brand new to be repaired. That's what's frustrating. KPA unit in my country costs approx. 3 average months salaries. Then you go, buy a brand new unit and find out that you cannot profile anything, because the rear inputs are faulty and then you have to send it back to be repaired, but you paid for brand new unit, not repaired one.

This problem could be solved by enabling profiling through spdif. Also, this way we could use our own studio converters. But, this feature is requested long ago on this forum, but I guess that it probably can't be done hardware wise.

Hi, all of my posts on this forum reply to this problem. It's a hardware problem but, since there are many KPA units out there with this problem, the guys at Kemper should tell us details about this problem, because they surely know why this problem happened on a bunch of KPA units.

It would be nice to tell the guys at the repair centers the nature of this problem and the specific details so they would know what to look for.
    I called my repair center guy and I was told that they never repaired any of KPA units and that they know nothing about this problem (Kemper products just came to my country, few months ago).

So, to speed up the repair of these units, please, guys at Kemper, you should really inform us about the specific detail concerning the distorted and crackling noise at rear inputs. It doesn't matter if the problem is caused by faulty cheap 5 cent piece of electronic (this is the guessing of the guy at the shop that sells Kemper in my country).

:thumbup:

Check your XLR return inputs, try to profile something or just stick your mic into xlr and switch on profiling mode. You won't notice this until you start to do some profiling, but many of users don't do profling so they don't even know abut this problem with some units.

I had some kind of smell, and my return inputs have distorted faulty sound. Maybe some cheap elect. component inside was going to fail... as the sound gets worse on inputs when KPA warms up.

This would solve the problem with inputs of KPA. Many people, even on this forum, are complaining about faulty inputs (when profiling or using loop). By enabling the spdif feature, we could bypass the inputs when profiling. Until then, we all have to send the KPA units to be repaired, hoping that they wont go faulty again.

Check the return level in profiling mode, you're likely clipping it. Also: you're not supposed to plug your guitar in the alt input.

Well, as I've written above, the input levels are fine.

And I plugged the guitar only too see how it reacts to other type signal. If the preamp is broken then it would be clipping to mic, guitar or any other signal. I did it only for testing. Direct guitar sound, even no DI... so it's a pretty low signal and it won't do no harm...

I turned Kemper off 10 minutes ago. I restarted it and the sound is normal. It sounded clean. But, within few minutes it started to worsen, first small cracks in the sound,then more and more it started to distort.
    I guess as the KPA gets warmer the sound becomes more distorted.
    What could be causing this?

Hi everyone!

I just bought KPA, and I'm really impressed!

Everything worked fine until today when I tried to profile one of my amps.This is the first time I ever tried profiling.

XLR input sounds distorted, like listening through speaker which is broken, fizzy, dirty.... I tried other input and it sounds the same. I tried alternate input and it also sounds the same. Like digital distortion. When I plug microphone to input it sounds the same, when I plug my guitar to those inputs it sounds the same. Distorted. No matter what kind of signal I send into the inputs.

I tried reinstalling new firmware, different versions, older, newer, I tried reseting the system settings, I tried tuning the Kemper controls of inputs and outputs. The input signal is not clipping the KPA preamp so it's not the problem.

I have seen few threads around the net describing the same problem but i haven't see anyone typing a solution to the problem. So I decided to ask here.

I hope I won't need to return my KPA to the store, because it is very expensive in my country and I think I'll have to wait for other unit for at least one month...

Thanks in advance.