Posts by Karl

I recently got a blond Classic Player (months before I got a Kemper). Wasn't happy with the factory setup so took it in to get it sorted. The neck was fine, but, the nut cuts were too deep on the E and A strings so Andy (One Way Music, Wolverhampton) re-did it with some bone paste. Also sorted out the intonation by bending the saddle screws in properly. I also went for a full re-wire with proper old school thicker cotton wire. Setup with Elixer nanoweb 10's. Sounds awesome through my Kemper going into Cube 20XL via kemper headphone jack into aux-in on Cube. More than loud enough for bedroom jamming.

Hey Karl,

as for the EMI if I got you right it seems you have done nothing but lifting grounds. In the back of the KPA you'll find several buttons just meant for this purpose. You might want to go back to the "noisy" setup and engage them one by one (just one engaged) and see what happens :)

Thanks for chippin in, the first thing I did was to test the grounding switches on the back before I made this thread. Following advice from another thread I had used 3 of them apart from direct out. Didn't help. Biggest difference was to use the 2 pin cable, instantly solved the problem. I will report back to see if I even need them activated anymore.

I've been testing my whole setup to resolve the noise issue. I seem to have fixed my noise problem by purchasing a plug from Morrisons and then using the 2 pin supplied cable that comes with the KPA instead of PC cable or the 3 pin cable (both had the same noise problem). Now the input and outputs on the KPA are very clean with the only remaining problem being very minor EMI from USB powering the RME Babyface, but, it's really really minor problem now and can be almost fully rectified by moving 1.5metres away from the laptop. The other thing I did which has also helped a lot is plug the laptop power-supply straight to the wall (found this tip online) instead of going into the Lindy power conditioner.

Long-term I've also ordered a Monster Cable studio pro 1000 12ft to minimise that last bit of EMI. It's been a frustrating start to my KPA experience, but, I think long-term it's helped me out and I've learn't a little more about my setup.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help out :thumbup:

I've never had the room for real amps. I own a Roland Cube 20xl which is plenty loud, rarely use it past 12.
    My fx history would go something like this;
    Zoom 505, Zoom 8080, Guitar Rig 2, 3, 4, 5, Cube 20xl, Boss Me 70, Amplitube 3, Ampeg svt, Boss GT10B, Mesa Vtwin, Trex Gristle King and finally Kemper.
    Add a few single boss pedals like ds1 and compressor and Boss RC300. Then finally kemper now. :thumbup:

For Peavey the settings are Clean sense 4.5 and Distorted sense 0.0

Too late here to play, I will come back tomorrow with my findings.

As I said though, I've only had it a week so I'm still getting used to it.

The one thing that causes the MOST noise in my setup is my laptop power-supply, but, that's a known variable. Easily sorted though by disconnecting it. It makes a huge difference when recording (guitar>kemper>RME Babyface>laptop).

I can ofcourse live with the noise and make good recordings. It took Guitar Rig (I own 2,3,4,5 all pro versions) upto 4/5 to get rid of much of the amp noise. GR's GATE is awesome though.

I have both EMU 1616 and 1616m and I find that using a dedicated grounding cable into the grounding screw really helps minimise noise. A physical feature I would have loved to have on my Kemper.

Re: Clipping, I quite often see the input and output led flash red for a moment. Guitars are Peavey Custom Signature, Jem555 and Classic Player Baja Telecaster.

Zap - agreed about that parameter. If there is just a guitar-cable-Kemper, it may be Output clipping - there is more than enough gain in FX and amp parameters to see a red light on the right.

Karl - do you have these problems with factory rigs and downloaded rigs, or with rigs you have modified?

Hi all, thanks for chipping in. I'm going direct guitar>cable>kemper>shure srh840. Also using 2x Lindy 6 way mains conditioners for everything to minimise noise. I feel the kemper input can be quite noisy on it's own. I've even fully disconnected all other gear like laptop, fx boxes, external hds etc to see what the noise is like on it's own. When I say noise it's not loud noise, but, enough to affect the sound of my guitar during actual playing. It's most prominent at the start of playing and end when holding notes or chords until fade-out. All profiles have some degree of noise; some are much much better than others. It's most noticeable on CLEAN tones. The noise gate doesn't help. It only really stops the noise when I'm not playing (as noise gates are supposed to).

I haven't made any rigs and won't be making any as I've always been an fx box or vst kind of guy.

Hi, I'm new here and have owned my KPA for a week. I'm using the 1.8 beta.

These are my feature requests;

1. Allow lower settings for distortion sense
    2. Improve sustained notes fade-out (remove the noise)
    3. Add more reverbs, I'd personally like to see a large plate reverb
    4. Improve Noise Gate, it's ok, but, could do with more noise removal during playing.
    5. Improve the way sound is handled when clipping, I hate the digital clipping sound of the KPA.
    6. Fix random crackle/distorted sound problem. (Might be related to clipping).

Guitar Rig overcame the noise problem over time, I hope Kemper will aswell.

Thanks for looking!!! :D

I'm with armin. No just volume and mixing differences, but, the particular kemper style distorted clipping noise.

1. amp
    2. kpa
    3. kpa
    4. amp

please pm me!