Posts by Laimon

I have this tendency of sticking to one amp for ages, then one day try something different and being blown away. Today was the turn of a Laney Ironheart, so freaking tight <3 but anyway, yeah, it's very refreshing to change sounds every now and then

I mean, just turn the rig volume up to the point the output led shows red, and then the master volume all the way down. Does the output led still show red? There is your answer ;)

So, I come again to this.
    Please, please, please, add some controls like Loop Volume and Mix to the looper :( I mean, today I recorded 3 tracks and it was clipping already...and I don't just mean the output led going red, I mean really digital clipping...

Ahah, sorry, I had missed that! Yeah, sure, recording two independent loops (that is, tracks) is most likely not an option (it'd be cool though :P )

It doesn't work here.
    While the loop is running (with a clean rig, e.g.) I get out of looper mode, I select a different rig (hi gain rig now), and the first loop (the one which is already running) starts playing with the hi gain tone!
    This is not how a looper should work.
    The first look should maintain the previous tone!

Or is there a bug in my Remote/KPA?

No, I see what's happening: you have the loop in "pre" mode, so it comes at the very beginning of the signal chain; if you change anything (amp, effect, whole rig) the whole recorded bit will be affected. This is convenient if you wanna have a loop while you want to tweak your tone and - you know - have your hands free to tweak.
    However, you clearly want to set it in "post" mode, where it is places at the very end of the signal chain, so as you change sounds the previous recordings don't change.
    I honestly don't remember exactly where you select pre or post, but rummage a bit in the system menu and you should find it.

I really doubt memory plays a role here. I mean, after you're keeping in RAM up to a minute of recording, an integer variable to keep track of the loop volume is nothing.

I spent some time with a Helix and was not impressed at all. The amp models all sound the same and the overdrive is very brittle. I did like the effects but that was it. There were few too many amp models and overall it still seems no better than a POD HD500X. For the price they are asking, it just does not deliver.
    If you are seeking effects, get a GForce, G-system or Strymon.

Exactly my experience. Tones really disappointing, effects ok, but quite average - Strymon kicks their ass.

Honestly, I don't think this demo sounds great.
    PT's playing sounds great, not these tones. There's always this unpleasant grit to them.
    BTW, I owned the Helix, and also "live" I didn't like the tones the least bit. A/B'ing with the Kemper made them even more of a joke (yes I can tweak, I've been toying with modellers for over 7 years). Effects were not bad, in some cases (delay and reverbs especially) were *really* good. Usability was a few notches above today's offerings, but not the tweaking heaven people think of. And most importantly, I don't care for easy tweaking, if I end up tweaking to hide a bad tone (that's what I felt like).

I use the looper only at home as a practice tool and composition helper, and I think it would benefit of the following enhancements:

- adjustable volume (as recommended by a previous thread)
    - quantize option
    - to the end of quantizing, a dedicated tempo
    - a click option (to be able to hear the tempo)

What do you guys think?

I know this is not the same - but have you tried either the low cut (high pass) or the 80 Hz band in the graphic EQ, or something similar in the studio EQ? (either before or after the stack section)?

Yes, I did try that, but while that helps on the lower notes, it kind of thins the higher ones, which is exactly what I was hoping to avoid :)

Playing 7 strings most of the time I find often myself in need of taming the low end without choking mids and highs.
    I have seen an older feature request for multiband compressor, and I admit that's going to be fairly heavy if you take multiple bands, whereas if you limits to one band it should much lighter on the CPU and should serve the purpose...
    Anybody else would find that useful?

I've forgotten plenty of times to ask this, so let's do it now that I have it in mind :P
    So the two mid bands in the studio eq have the typical Q factor that defines how steep they are...but I never know if they get steeper turning the knob on the right or on the left!
    My guess is that going right makes them steeper, but can anyone confirm?
    Also: is the gain adaptive with respect to the steepness? That is, the less steep, the larger the range of frequency involved, hence the louder it gets if the gain is not somewhat "distributed" through the area...

A side question: I would imagine the PureCab option has any effect only when the cab sims are on, right? It wouldn't make a lot of sense to me otherwise.

This is seriously fucking sick :D
    I won't be able to test it until like 2 weeks from now, but if history teaches me anything Cristoph would not put such a feature out if it weren't mature - where the term mature means that noone with properly functioning ears could hear it and not drop their jaw to the floor.
    All hail Cristoph!

So agree with Monkey Man. That chorus sounds freaking amazing. And in general the Theta Pro seems like a unit that on one hand will be very limited in features, but on the other hand will really stand out on those. I'm even kind of sorry for them that - expecially with the Helix coming out at the same time - nobody seems to give half a fuck :D

Anyway, I pulled the trigger and preordered an Helix. It will be available end of September, and I made a deal with the shop that I can test it for two weeks and - should I not like it - return it paying only 25 euros for shipping it back. Seems fairly safe.

Of course we will all know that ultimately I'll succumb to GAS and keep it :P