Posts by Jimi71

Glad you're liking the profiles! Our profiling techniques are constantly evolving, so the profiles will sound a bit (or a lot) different than previous packs. We think for the better. :)

Played with it a bit more and found that this pack nails many of Paul Kossoffs tones as well. Was playing along to "Free live" and the H2H Lead Profile was spot on to Koss' Sound at the Sunderland Mayfair gig without any tweaking.

I used a couple of Andy's Marshalls for those sounds before and got close either, but they had to be tweaked a bit more. Your's are right there from the beginning, given you use a nice Les Paul with PAF-like PUs.

May I ask why you leave the EQ-stack on "post amp"? Was that intentionally? I found switching it to "pre" makes the tonestack behave more like a real Marshall would do. It doesn't do much EQ-wise but you can shape the distortion character a bit which I like on old Marshalls.

Thanks! Seems we use similar pickups, which makes the profiles "tweak free". :)

I've never actually tried setting the EQ-stack to be "pre". I've always used it as a post-profile "mastering" tool rather than trying to emulate the functionality of the real tone stack of a Marshall. I'll have to try it out.

-Jimi

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, the '67 20 Watt speakers have a very distinct tone. Playing Jailbreak through them makes me smile every time.

Recently picked up an original '70 G12M with 55 Hz Pulsonic cone. Perhaps the next pack will need to be Hendrix...?

For 80's metal, you can check out our Paul Gilbert / Lee Jackson Marshall. I've also profiled another one of Paul's old Lee Jackson Marshalls (the Mel Bay Rocket) and just need to do a demo. It sucks trying to do a demo of a Paul Gilbert amp. Paul's stuff requires serious chops. :)

Yeah, I'll add the ADA MP1 to the list of to-do's!

Let There Be Rock was in 1977, in between High Voltage and Highway to Hell. I think the TNT profile will probably get you the closest. Also try the Highway to Hell.

-Jimi

I apologize for the missing Back in Black profiles! I inadvertently didn't include them in the initial release of the pack. They're there now, and I've emailed the profiles to those who were missing them.

Thank you,
    Jimi

Hey Kemper Fans,

We're happy to announce the Top Jimi "DC/AC" Pack for the Kemper Profiling Amplifier (34 profiles)

These profiles seek to recreate the sound heard on the recordings of the rock band AC/DC

Amps Used During the Profiling Process: Several Marshall heads from Jimi's collection

Speakers Used During the Profiling Process: 1967 Celestion 20W Greenback, Celestion 25W Greenback, Celestion Vintage 30

Gain Range (Scale: 0 to 10): 2 to 6

Profile Type: Studio, Merged

Comments: AC/DC is the perfect example of straight-up rock guitar tone, but the tones can be surprisingly difficult to get unless you have the right gear. We've done our best to replicate the tones heard on several AC/DC albums, from 1974 up through today. It seems almost everyone wants some good AC/DC profiles in their arsenal. I think those people will love this profile pack!

Please Note: Obviously, the guitar is a very important part of the signal chain, and differences between guitars will affect the tone. We used Jimi's Les Paul Standard as a neutral reference to build the profiles. If your guitar has a fuller tone, we recommend increasing the Treble and Presence together. Try increasing them both by 0.3 and see how that sounds. If your guitar is bright, try reducing the Treble and Presence by 0.3 and go from there.

Signal Path: Guitar --> Various Marshall heads --> Marshall 4x12 loaded with Celestions

Profile Naming Decoder:

Ang = Emulates Angus Young’s tone
    Mlc = Emulates Malcolm Young’s tone
    Stv = Emulates Stevie Young’s tone

BinBl = “Back in Black”
    H2H = “Highway to Hell”
    Jlbrk = “Jailbreak”
    Live ’16 = Gear and settings from Premier Guitar’s AC/DC Rig Rundown
    TNT = yes, “TNT”
    Train = “Rock ‘N Roll Train”
    TStrk = “Thunderstruck”

All guitar tones heard on the following demo were recorded with a Kemper using the DC/AC Pack and drums/bass/vocal backing tracks found on YouTube.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Profiles available here: http://www.topjimi.com/NEW-DC-AC-Pack-DC-AC-20170418.htm

Thanks,
    Jimi :thumbup:

They are using the profiles legally. We gave them to them (maybe a couple years ago) in exchange for a mention on their site. They're all old profile packs that we've replaced with improved versions since then (with the exception of the '63 AC30). I believe Sinmix did the same.

-Jimi

Looks like it would be a fun one!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hi,

Glad you guys are digging the Pet2C pack. In reply to some of the comments:

- My demos are recorded with as little as possible between the Kemper and DAW. Just taking the digital SPDIF out of the Kemper direct into the DAW. Nothing in between -- not even A/D converters. Nothing is done in the DAW either other than sliding the demo pieces to line up in time and then exporting.

- The amp settings used for the JPCnch (crunch) and JPLead profiles are exactly the same as what Petrucci uses for this amp. I took them directly off his video demo. He uses the JPCnch for rhythm tones, which is most of his playing. If you listen to Dream Theater stuff, he actually doesn't use a ton of gain for rhythm. That's why it cuts and is so punchy. But it sounds heavy because of his playing, tunings, and double tracking. The JPLead profiles are what he uses for leads, which are thicker and with more gain. I like the JPLead tone for rhythm as well. When using the JPLead for rhythm, I recommend increasing the Treble and Presence together to increase the high end to taste (for more edge) and to match your guitar's pickups. I personally love this tone.

- JPLead 1 and 2 are the same amp settings, but use different mic techniques.

- I use a Les Paul with Fralin Pure PAF pickups for most of the demo work. I consider it my most "neutral" guitar. You'll need something similar to closely match the demo tone. The other primary demo guitar is a Custom Shop Strat with a Fralin 5% overwound (I think) in the bridge and stock Fender Custom Shop pickups in the middle and neck positions.

-Jimi