Posts by Jimi71

Kemper Fans,

We're happy to announce the availability of a new profile pack for the Kemper Profiling Amplifier -- the Medium-Power Blackface #3 Pack (34 profiles). These profiles seek to recreate the sound of a 1964 Fender 6G6-B Bassman head.

Profile Type: Studio, Merged

These profiles sound like a Marshall JTM45, but with additional low end. They're fantastic for a wide range of musical styles, from jazz to country to rock. The profiles were voiced for single coil pickups, but if you increase the Treble and Presence each by about 0.8, humbuckers will come alive.

1964 Fender 6G6-B Bassman background Info: Vintage Fender Bassman amps are ironically not often used by bass players, but are coveted by guitarists. The blonde 6G6-B bassman is probably the most desirable of the blonde and blackface Bassman heads. The model pictured is a transition model, with "blonde" knobs and circuitry and a blackface cabinet. The 6G6-B is the amp famously used by Brian Setzer.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Profiles available at: http://www.topjimi.com

-Jimi

The BE-100 has less low end than any other amp I've ever played through. Mic selection and placement was done with improving low end response in mind.

If you want to use the direct out and want more bass, I think the only recourse is to add low end via the bass knob or add an EQ into the chain.

-Jimi

Hey Kemper Fans,

We're happy to announce the availability of a new profile pack for the Kemper Profiling Amplifier -- the "BEye" Pack. These profiles seek to recreate the sound of a 100W Friedman BE-100 Brown Eye head.

Speakers Used During the Profiling Process: Celestion Vintage 30

Min to Max Gain Range (Scale: 0 to 10): 0 to 9

Comments: These profiles are modern and detailed, but maintain a bit of a vintage British sound. The bottom end is very tight and the mids focused -- perfect for cutting through a mix. The profiles are dialed-in for humbucker-equipped guitars, but like most of our profiles you can get great tone from single-coil guitars by reducing the Treble and Presence each by about 0.8.

Friedman BE-100 Background Info: The BE-100 is a 100-watt, EL34-powered monster with 3 channels (Clean, BE, & HBE). Several switches, including a three-position bright switch, give additional tonal options. The amp received the prestigious Editor’s Pick Award from Guitar Player Magazine (Nov, 2013).

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Profiles available Here

Thanks,
    Jimi

Wow, fender1971, great playing! Which profile were you using?

Hey Kemper Fans,

Our Brown Sound Pack is now available (14 profiles) at http://www.topjimi.com

In this pack we're seeking to recreate the "Brown" sound heard on the early Van Halen recordings

Speakers Used During the Profiling Process: 1967 Celestion 20W Greenback, Celestion Vintage 30 (paired with Greenback for VH I profiles)

Gain Range (Scale: 0 to 10): 6 to 7

These profiles capture Eddie's "Brown Sound" heard on the early Van Halen records, from Van Halen I up to 1984. The Brown Sound has always been my favorite guitar tone, and I've been working to capture it for about 20 years. We recreated his rig as best we possibly could, with the exception of the JBL speaker mixed with the Celestion on the VH I album. The JBL just didn't sound right, so we substituted a Vintage 30 instead, which worked great. We tweaked the rig and created separate profiles to account for the differences in guitar tone on each album. The Kemper Phaser, Flanger and Delay do an admirable job recreating the old analog effects used in Eddie's rig. The profiles have Phaser, Flanger, Delay and Reverb presets as appropriate for each album.

Please Note: Obviously, the guitar is a very important part of the signal chain, and differences between guitars will affect the tone. We used Jimi's Les Paul Standard as a neutral reference to build the profiles. If your guitar has a fuller tone, we recommend increasing the Treble and Presence together. Try increasing them both by 0.3 and see how that sounds. If your guitar is bright, try reducing the Treble and Presence by 0.3 and go from there.

Signal Path: Guitar --> Vintage MXR 10-Band EQ --> 1968 Marshall Super Lead using a Variac set to 90V --> Ultimate Attenuator (resistive attenuator + solid state power amp) --> Marshall 4x12 loaded with '67 Celestion 20W Greenback

-Jimi

Thanks guys for the great response. To answer a few questions:

- The profile labels correspond to the VH albums. We tailored the sound of each profile to the album.

VH I = Van Halen I
    VH II = Van Halen II
    WACF = Women and Children First
    FW = Fair Warning
    DD = Diver Down
    1984 = well, 1984

- It is possible to play the intro to Mean Street using the FW profile without any extra effects. It's what Eddie used. He's just got really strong hands, a bright sounding pickup, and a really resonant guitar (the original Frankenstrat). If you need more gain, I'd create a new profile and increase the gain as desired.

- If you want to sound like old Eddie, it's best to use a bridge humbucker that's PAF-like with maybe a little higher impedance. I used a PAF with an impedance of about 9K for the demo. The one exception I'm aware of would be Cathedral, where Eddie used a Strat in the studio (and I did as well in the demo).

-Jimi

Here's the new demo:

Having a blast in the studio today trying to emulate Eddie's early VH rig. Signal path is:

Vintage MXR Ten Band EQ (the blue one)
    Jimi's '68 Marshall Super Lead
    Variac, running the Marshall at 90V
    Resistive load
    Line out into a solid-state power amp
    '67 Celestion 20W Greenback
    Celestion Vintage 30

I went out and spent a bunch of money on a vintage JBL D120F, but it sounded nothing like the JBL on the VH 1 album. :cursing: The Vintage 30 did, however.

Hope to finish profiling today! :thumbup:

-Jimi

We're happy to announce the Top Jimi Low-Power Tweed2 Pack (24 profiles), which seeks to recreate the sound of an original 1959 Fender Deluxe (15 Watts).

Speakers Used During the Profiling Process: Jensen P12R and Celestion 25W Greenback

Min to Max Gain Range (Scale: 0 to 10): 0 to 6

These profiles capture the unmistakable sound of the small late-50's tweed amps. The clean sound is absolutely stunning, and there's plenty of gain available on tap. The use of two types of speakers during the profiling process gives additional tonal flavors. Pair it with a Strat for vintage tonal nirvana!

External Content www.youtube.com

Profiles available here

Thanks,
    Jimi :thumbup:

Hey Kemper Fans,

We're happy to announce the release of the Top Jimi PBall Profile pack, which seeks to recreate the sound of an Engl Powerball head (100 Watts).

Speakers Used During the Profiling Process: Celestion Vintage 30

Min to Max Gain Range (Scale: 0 to 10): 0 to 8

These profiles have a very modern tone, with the tone determined primarily by the preamp, not the power amp. Perfect for today's rock and metal players. I think the clean tone is very impressive as well. They work with humbucker or single-coil equipped guitars.

External Content www.youtube.com

Profiles available here

Thanks, and let us know what you think!

-Jimi

We're happy to announce the availability of a new profile pack for the Kemper Profiling Amplifier -- the Stevens 100 Pack. These profiles seek to recreate the sound of a Friedman SS-100 (Steve Stevens signature model) 100 Watt amplifier.

Speakers Used During the Profiling Process: Celestion 25W Greenback and Celestion Vintage 30

Min to Max Gain Range (Scale: 0 to 10): 0 to 8

Comments: To me, these profiles are a perfect combination of vintage and modern guitar tone. The bottom end is tight. The profiles are dialed-in for humbucker-equipped guitars, but you can get great tone from single-coil guitars by reducing the Treble and Presence each by about 0.8.

Friedman SS-100 Background Info: Dave Friedman’s first signature amplifier, the SS-100 was created to guitarist extraordinaire Steve Stevens’ exacting tonal demands. The SS100 is a 100-watt, EL34 powered, two channel tone machine.

Profiles available here

Thanks, and let us know what you think! :thumbup:

-Jimi

Top Jimi Enterprises, LLC is in no way affiliated with Friedman Amplification or Celestion International Ltd. Any mention of "Friedman", "SS-100" or "Celestion" is strictly for comparison purposes.