Posts by sage

I played a live show a week and a half ago and used the monitor and main out, no problem. Changed absolutely nothing in the meantime, and then went to record a band last night. Monitor out to the cab so he could hear it in the room (live tracking of a six piece bluegrass band, buddy had a gorgeous hand made Weissenborn copy) and when I plugged in the XLR to the main output, the monitor out shut off. I ended up mic'ing the cab with a 57 and it sounded great anyway, but what the heck happened?

Any help would be appreciated.

I prefer my pedal tuner (a Strobostomp 2) to the tuner on the Kemper. It's the only pedal I kept. I was thinking of using the Kemper tuner, but for live use, I couldn't justify using one of the buttons for a tuner instead of the functions they're performing (B, C, D, X, Mod, Delay, Reverb, Tap... which one would you have axed?). That and the Strobostomp is just super nice to use, very accurate, totally visible onstage, has an onboard DI... And it mutes the rig, no fuss, no muss.

It's a red Z-Best cab with WGS Retro 30 speakers. I know the speakers totally colour the sound and all, but for on stage use, at least it can still move my pants when required and the FOH gets the cab models I've chosen for the rigs also.

Unless your Tiny Terror has been modded to have an effects loop, you can't bypass the preamp on it. Even if you can, the 15 watt EL84 power section is going to add significant compression and colouring to the sound.

I'm using a Rocktron Velocity 300 into a 2x12 Dr Z cab. It sounds glorious. Keeps up with the band, no problems. Works well for onstage monitoring also. I have been considering going FRFR, but I do really love having that "oomph" from the guitar cab on stage.

The band I play in, Stations of the Breath, is playing The Cellar at 1006 Granville St. in Vancouver this Wednesday, May 22. We're on at 10:30 and will be playing a 55 minute set, during which I'll be using my Kemper. The 9 original instrumental songs have 31 rig changes and I'm using at least 22 different amp profiles (all free ones...) and abusing the effects amply. If you want to come and check it out, I'll be happy to answer any questions about the rig after the show.

I'm a total MIDI noob also. Between the GCP manual and the Kemper reference manual MIDI table, I had the pedal setup in well under an hour. I used the 4 patch per bank mode with the top 8 buttons reserved for effect switching. In my case, the GCP showed up first. I had 9 songs in mind to set up first, so I named each patch and set each patches program change number.
    [Blocked Image: http://abanquetofconsequences.com/GCPsetup.jpg]
    Then I set up the IA buttons to trigger the changes in effects. Then I set the IA buttons to the on or off positions that I wanted for each patch. The controller doesn't listen to the KPA, it's a one way street. So, if you have a rig that has reverb and delay on, but you don't set those buttons to the on position, the next message that will be sent to the KPA will be to turn the effect on. Then you have to double tap to turn the effect off. Super easy to change this stuff on the fly. Press on the IA that you want lit up, hold the edit button, tap the edit button, and hit yes.

The reason I left the A button out is that I'll use A primarily for wah effects and I like the auto-on function for that.

I have found the GCP/Kemper combo to be incredibly easy to deal with. Far more intuitive than I expected.

I am using different rigs for different parts of songs. Each song actually has its own bank of 3-4 rigs. Each rig is tuned for the section of the song it serves. If that section happens to be a solo, it'll have a little more volume, a little more action in the mids, probably some reverb or delay for extra flavour, but it'll likely be an entirely different amp model. One of the main reasons I wanted a Kemper was to be able to really refine my guitar tones to serve the songs and variety is key in that regard.