Posts by Navar

Hey Kemper Folks,

this is the first song of my band and I've used only the Kemper for every string instrument. We've recorded some songs in our rehearsal room, mixing was on my side. Next song will sound better :D we also use these recordings to find our sound, so every next song will sound a little bit different. ;) Style is mostly heavy rock with metal influences.

I've used SinMix profiles, mostly EVH5153 and Mesa Boogie ones. I also own a 5153 and the SinMix profiles are really good, all better than my own :whistling:
    Bass is his free available Ampeg profile mixed with a normal guitar profile for mid range crunch.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If you like, you can find us on facebook and all the other stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/bucketlistOfficial

Greetings and comments are always welcome 8o

I've bought the Kemper bag... just in a little fanboy moment but it's a good one. :)
    You might also take a look on bassdrum foot machine softcases if you like it a little bit cheaper.

Ich hab mich gestern für die DXR12 entschieden. Getestet habe ich sie gegen die anderen DXRs (außer der 15er), gegen die Electrovoice, die QSC K8 und gegen irgendeine DB Box deren Namen ich vergessen hab. :)
    Mir persönlich hat die DXR12 einfach am Besten gefallen und am meisten Spaß gemacht. Wie boomy und basslastig die ist, hängt auch wirklich stark vom Raum und der Aufstellung ab. Ich hab sie bis jetzt in 3 unterschiedlichen Räumen gespielt und jedes Mal habe ich am Ausgangs EQ ein wenig die Bässe nachgeregelt. Die DXR 10 fand ich auch super nur hab ich mich ganz einfach aus dem Bauch raus für die 12er entschieden, weil das irgendwie dem was ich gesucht habe am nächsten kommt. :)
    Aber... zwischen den Boxen und Herstellern liegen teilweise himmelweite Unterschiede, vor allem wenn man das mal im direkten Vergleich hören kann.

Es ist wirklich schade, dass man keine Gelegenheit hat, die mal im Vergleich zu testen... ich bin ich auch gerade auf der Suche nach einer aktiven Box für meinen Toaster.
    Im lokalen Musikladen gab es die Yamaha DXR-8. Die hat zwar auch schon Spaß gemacht, wobei ich die bei höheren Lautstärken schon langsam nervig fand. Morgen habe ich vielleicht die Gelegenheit mal in einem größeren Laden die DXR-10 / DXR-12 und diese EV ELX anzutesten. Gibt es da noch einen Tipp in der Richtung, was man mal probieren sollte? :)

For this special case I've connected my Kemper also with it's analog outputs.
    In about 90% I only need mono signals and in this cases I record Git/Mod Mono via S/PDIF. But just for the opportunity to quickly record stereo signals without changing anything in the output routing I've also connected the analogs. :)

I've started to develop a mobile solution for Android, which also runs under Windows and perhaps under Mac and iOs.
    It's easy to control every parameter via SysEx. Also to request the actual state from the Kemper is easy and fast. But I don't get any message from the Kemper when I change parameters on the toaster itself. The two solutions for this could be to manually request the new state after changing it or to do a permanent state request. Both solutions are not very nice.
    Or did I missed something during the latest updates and the Kemper sends parameter changes?

I don't use any compression on heavy distorted sounds, they are compressed enough. Sometimes people use multiband compression on the lows to tame them but in my opinion it takes some time to get enough experience to work with this kind of compression. And it's also only another way to reach your goal, not the best, not the worst, just another one. :)
    But in my personal opinion I would recommend to be careful with (too much) compression or saturation on heavy distorted sounds, especially if you wanna do some master compression and/or limiting.

Hi Kempers,

Here is a little update: If you like, you can find a pre alpha version under: www.tittel.org

It also works as a windows remote tool, because of the same code base.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This software is licensed as Free Software in accordance with the MIT License as follows:
    Copyright (C) 2014 Sebastian Tittel

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
    of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
    in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
    to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
    copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
    furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
    all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
    IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
    FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
    AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
    LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
    OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
    THE SOFTWARE.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quitty: I thought about that too, I think I'll give it a try, you are right, it's easy to implement. One benefit is, that I can adjust the value resolution. One problem in most remote touch applications is (in my opinion) that it's sometimes hard to dial in small, precise value steps. And for the Kemper I need this, mostly I want to increase or decrease gain or eq in a range of +- 2.0.

I'm not sure if it's "alpha-state" ready but I've made some progress on an Android App. It works quite well and now I have to think about which are the best fitting touch input ui elements. Dial knobs are a mess on touch devices, faders could be too big... perhaps I try some increase/decrease buttons with the option to overlay a fader for some parameters.

This LogiLink USB2MIDI Interface was the problem... now it works like a charm :D

Thank you all for your help :)

Now it's time to get my Android KPA controller done, Implementation is finished, now I've got to code some little user interface. Because of cross compile capabilities it should be also running under Win, Mac, iPhone and Unix. If I can get my hands on a Mac I will also compile it for Apple based systems. :) When the first versions are done I post the executables if someone is interested in it.

Ah ok... I think I get closer :)
    It's a LogiLink interface, a really cheap one...

I've connected the Logilink Midi Out to my RME Fireface MIDI In to see whats going on there and this seems to be the problem. Control Changes reaches the other side as I can see in MIDI OX but SysEx doesn't go through. Now I get quickly on track to grab some normal MIDI cables for connecting the Kemper direct to my RME... :)

I've connected MIDI Out USB2MIDI -> MIDI In Kemper and MIDI In USB2MIDI MIDI Out Kemper, I'm sure the connection itself works because I can switch things on and of by CCs :) I also tried other connection combinations to make sure this is correct...

I've tried both MIDI Outs several times in different combinations but no SysEx is recognized.

I've tried to do a MIDI mapping reset in the Kemper by booting it with pressed "Quick" button like it was described here: http://www.soundside.de/support/KPARecovery.htm

Nothing changes... perhaps I should try the factory reset thing? ...

Thank you for the screenshot, it look similar to mine :)

I've checked the connections and they seem to work because of
    - I recieve the active sensing message
    - I can send simple CCs for the basic toggle options
    - On Kemper startup I recieve a SysEx Message which only contains F0F7

So, perhaps there is something wrong with this USB->MIDI Interface? Perhaps I can grab some standard cables and try to connect it through my RME.

Here is a screenshot on how it looks like on my side. Everything seems to be ok...

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12485269/midiox_screen.png]

Thanx a lot for your time on this :)

Thank you very much for your replies and your time to help me out of this :)

jifgriff: I've tried the string Quitty wrote and some else composed from the documentation.

0xF0,0x00,0x20,0x33,0x02,0x7F,0x01,0x00,0x4A,0x0D,0x01,0x00,0xF7

This is the output from the MidiOx Output Monitor

000DBDD2 MOX 5 F0 Buffer: 13 Bytes System Exclusive
    SYSX: F0 00 20 33 02 7F 01 00 4A 0D 01 00 F7

Nothing happens on Kemper Side, Delay doesn't change, no SysEx Reply

Here is another SysEx Command I've tried for requesting the actual Delay Volume:
    F0 00 20 33 02 7F 41 00 4A 04 F7

What I've tried:
    - Replacing the commas, ditching the 0x
    - Playing around with the buffer delay values in the SysExView Settings
    - Tried some simple "SingleParameterRequests" which should be the easiest commands.

- "The Midi Global Channel" parameter on system page 6 is set to omni.
    - I've tried FW 2.4.1 beta , 2.4.0 alpha and 2.3.3. release

I'm still helpless and don't know what I could try else and where I made something wrong. I'm close to try a factory reset on the Kemper and check if something configured wrong there but I don't believe that there's the problem. The problem sits mostly in front of the screen. ;)

Hey Kemper Folks :)

I jump on this thread because I don't want to open a new one.

I tried to get some MIDI implementations working but I can't get the Kemper react to SysEx or NRPM CCs. Normal Control Changes like switching On/Off stomps and fx are working.

What I've done for testing was, to connect the Kemper with a simple USB->MIDI Interface and start MIDI-OX under Win7. I got the Active Sensing message and the kemper recieves and reacts to CCs. But whatever I've tried, SysEx messages are not recognized. Nothing happens. I've tried the simple example messages from the "midi Parameter documentation" or from this thread. I can see, that the LED on my USB->MIDI is flashing when I hit "send".

I would be so thankful if someone could give me a hint what I'm doing wrong.

Cheers and now I test some new profiles to get my head cleaned up. ;)