Posts by Patrick

Hi,

as the release of our new album is not too far away (late summer), we decided to give out one song as preview. So, here is Unbent. Hope you enjoy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gHLjITUi50

Some more details for the interested: we are Nemesis (http://www.nemesis-metal.de), I'm one of the guitarists. The album is called Tales From The Unknown. Drums on the record were played by Alex Landenburg, which people interested in metal might know from Luca Turillis Rhapsody. Mixed and mastered in by Phil Hillen at SU2 Studio. Guitars are all recorded and amped with my KPA, which was a very pleasant and comfortable experience.

Any feedback is appreciated :)

Facebook
    Twitter

Patrick

1. Press 1+2 while turning on the FCB1010
    - You are now in stomp config mode
    2. Press the button you want to re-assign to delay for 3 seconds (in your case 7?)
    - It's led will start blinking
    3. Press "7", which assigns the delay to the blinking button

Done.

Edit: to make it more clear: the 3sec button press selects the button you want to assign. The press afterwards selects its function (see the sheet). In your case it's accidentially two times the 7.

Two videos of my band performing live. Right guitar signal (left on stage from bands perspective) is the Kemper into the power amp of an Engl Fireball into an Engl 4x12" cab miced with a SM57. Weird setup because the FOH insisted, but still gave good results. Switching is done automatically via MIDI, sync'd with the click track of our drummer (but not for the Gamma Ray cover, because we didn't use a click there)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQtmcvISBkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOHbrjq0z_k

FOH refused to go direct out of the Kemper for me yesterday. Was telling me for like 10 minutes that he was experiencing guitarists using all sort of modelers and it all sounded like crap. Well, it was a festival, so no time to discuss. Played the Kemper through poweramp and cab then. I guess he didn't even notice :)

Well, this thread is a bit old now, but I thought maybe someone is interested. We finished editing some of our live recordings from that gig. It's nowhere to be seen in the video, but the right guitar in the mix is the Kemper used as described in the quote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQtmcvISBkM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOHbrjq0z_k

FOH refused to go direct out of the Kemper for me yesterday. Was telling me for like 10 minutes that he was experiencing guitarists using all sort of modelers and it all sounded like crap. Well, it was a festival, so no time to discuss. Played the Kemper through poweramp and cab then. I guess he didn't even notice :)

Are the SPDIF outs actually listed? :) Try looking at the Reaper preferences and specifically the audio device settings. There you can setup what outputs should appear in the hardware output options of the tracks.

Edit: you might have a look here: Kemper, Reaper, Scarlett 18i6 and reamping...???? There, I explained how it looks like with a different audio interface. But the principle still applies.

In Reaper, go to: Options -> Preferences... -> Audio -> Device. As last input, select 10: S/PDIF R.

Now, you can select all inputs up to the S/PDIF inputs as inputs for recording audio on any track in Reaper.

Edit: do the same for last output, it's 6:S/PDIF R.

Now, you can select all outputs up to S/PDIF as outputs in the hardware outputs part of Reaper.

This hopefully will solve you basic problem. Now, you could think about setting up the KPA such that it sends a dry (DI) signal on S/PDIF L and signal up until stack on S/PDIF R. That way, you can hear the amped sound while playing, but you're able to record DIs (and also the amped sound). You can fiddle around with the Scarlett MixControl to setup your monitoring. You probably only want to hear S/PDIF 2 (which is the same as S/PDIF R).
    Finally, you can send your DI tracks in Reaper to one of the S/PDIF hardware outputs (in the routing popup, there is a section for hardware outputs). If you make your KPA listen to S/PDIF and re-record S/PDIF R in Reaper, you'll get your re-amping working.

I might give more details, but don't have time now. Just ask, if it doesn't work out. I've got the exact same setting and might help a bit more.

Edit: and don't forget to set Sync Source to S/PDIF in Scarlett MixControl while using the KPA. When you're done, set it back to "Internal".

Just in case anybody else has this problem:

Using Volume CC (7) fixed my tuner issue. Setting it to 0 pops up the tuner and setting it back to 127 brings back the performance slot :)

About Reaper and CC reset messages: I found a thread on the Reaper forum talking about it. Seems like looped midi items cause resets, even though it is turned off in the options. Since I was copy/pasting small midi snippets for each command, I had this behaviour regularly. My solution was just to "glue" all snippets to one big midi item and turn off looping (right-click -> item properties).

Thanks again!

(btw.: did not check the last open problem with the X slot on/off yet; but maybe it was also related to me not knowing how to do things properly)

Thanks, that might help a lot!

Dont know your DAW but it definitely sounds like it is still sending a reset for the CCs when the song stops.

Ok, then I guess it is time to dig deeper regarding Reaper then!

Instead of calling up the tuner with CC you could use MIDI Volume to control it. Send a value of zero at the end of the song-the tuner will show up. Send a volume of higher than zero at the beginning of the next song and the tuner disappears. You need to tell your DAW to send MIDI clock that will transmit the tempo information to the Profiler.

Cool, I'll try that tomorrow. The Kemper will then take the tempo for each time-related effect? Well, I guess I can just try it out :)

I recently started to play around with controlling my Kemper via MIDI using a PC and DAW software (Reaper in this case). The goal is to have a nice MIDI lane in the click track/sample track setup of our band to automatically control changes during gigs (bye bye stomp-dance :) ).

I went with the MIDI documentation and focused on the CC message list at the end of it (not Sysex and whatever the other thing was called; don't know what it is and for now, I assume that don't need it, if you don't tell me differently).

I want to have one or more performances in performance mode with different slots for different purposes (like clean, higain, lead). Switching them using CC messages 50-55 works like a charm. But I also had some problems:

- Tuner on does not work properly for me. Tuner on seems fine as long as Reaper is in "play" mode. As soon as it is stopped (which will happen during a live gig after every song), it will switch back off. Could somebody please explain this to me? I'm really not an expert and I thought those CC messages where kind of one-shot things happening at one distinct point in time? I switched off MIDI reset messages after "stop" in Reaper, but maybe I have to tick something else to make it work? Any ideas?

(Would like to switch to tuner at the end of each song to be able to tune while our singer is announcing the next song etc.)

- Tuner off kicks me out of performance mode. I have to use the chicken head knob to get back into it.

- X on (don't remember CC and value, but I double-checked it in my track): shows an error message suggesting that the X slot is empty and kicks me out of performance mode (the slot was not empty, it contained the Studio EQ).

- For all other (Mod, Delay, Reverb): Same problem as with Tuner on; as soon the track stops, they are reset to off.

- Can I somehow set the tempo for delay in my MIDI lane? That would be awesome.

Kemper OS Version is 2.0.1.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it a bug? Any help is very much appreciated!

I'm really looking forward to using this thing live. But i'd like to have that sorted out first. I really want to get rid of any pedals and switches on stage, if possible.

Well, the title already says it. Would be really cool to have more options (if not *all* possible combinations) for the functionality selection of switches in the system settings.

As it is now, it is a bit unflexible. For example, if I want to assign the tuner on/off function, I'd have to waste one push button, because this option is only available in the mono switch section. That is, there should be some more options in the stereo switch section, such as

tuner/stomp A, tuner/tap and so on.

There are other functions, which are not available in stereo switch mode: tap, stomp, inverse stomps. Would be really cool to have them all in stereo switch combinations.

And finally: there is an option to (de-)select all stomps at once, similar to pushing the stomps buttion on the Kemper directly. Why is there none for the effects part? Would be really cool to be able to switch that with one push on the floor board.

I'm really looking forward for a positive response on this one. Bugs me a lot (but does not decrease my love with the Kemper hehe; it's plain awesome). And I'd imagine it's one of the more simpler things to add.