Posts by MLScola

Funny you should ask. I stopped looking at the LED because I rarely ever push it hard anymore. As it turns out I really can't take much of volumes over 100db. 95db is about it for me. I know this from spending time measuring playing levels at my position. Guess I'm getting old. :)

Hey Gianfranco,
    I'm standing by what I said about maxing out the CLR inputs as a best practice. I base this on a conversation I had with Tom King. After I purchased my CLRs, I called him and we talked about input sensitivity and those LED lights. Here's the gist of Tom's reply:

He said those LEDs were causing undue concern for most users and that he was considering removing them from future versions. He also said the design of the CLR input allows it to handle a wide range of levels and it would be hard to overload it. He concluded with the statement that it's fine to max out the inputs especially if you're going for higher volume.

For me this setup results in less noise with my KPA.

I own a pair of CLR Actives. I find the quietest way to run them is with the CLR inputs maxed. The Kemper has tremendous variable gain on all its outputs and I've tested my setup using the XLR Master outs at many levels all the way up to full KPA output. The CLRs handled everything I threw at them. So, crank 'em up, you'll be fine. :D

To put it another way, start with the KPA lower than the CLRs. Adjust to taste.

Great experience for me too. Lost a few LEDs, contacted Kemper, got an RA and UPS came by to pick up my unit. Got it back from Kemper Service, TX two weeks later. No fuss, no muss. The entire repair and shipping was free. Kemper is a class act in every way. Extraordinary service and support.

Fantastic! Works like a charm on OSX 10.9.4 with KPA 2.5! How cool to see and instantly hear every rig on the Exchange and compare it to what I already have. Great organizational tool. Couldn't be happier! And I love the SHIFT - ENTER command for one touch rig auditioning. Got to get one of those foot pedal things to browse up and down hands free. Any suggestions?

Since it's just for home use you could save some serious dough with a single DXR. Or you could get a stereo pair of DXR's for the price of one CLR. And hearing your KPA in glorious stereo is a sonic RUSH! But if you have the eventual goal of playing live in the near future then I'd probably buy a CLR now.

+1 for CLR's. I own a pair of actives and they're extremely accurate BUT (and this is a super big deal to guys who really prefer the sound of guitar cabinets) using the CLR's can be a startling tone experience. They are a lot like giant high powered studio monitors. I only mention this because you expressed your discomfort playing thru monitors. If you can wrap your ears around the CLR concept I think you will ultimately get and produce better and more accurate tones.

It's much easier if you have a hollow body guitar and can get close to the speaker. Putting a speaker cab up on a stand I've been amazed at how low the volume can be and still get feedback. Solid body is a very different story.

I use 2 american strats. One with Lindy Fralin SC pickups which are more traditional strat sounding pickups, and the other with Kinman noisless single coils.

They both sound great through my rigs; however, not all rigs sound good with SC pickups.

Hey OneEng,
    Sonically speaking, how do your Kinmans differ from your Lindys?

Hey Armin,
    Wow, nice updates to your page, works flawlessly on my iPad3. Staying on the main page while demoing is a huge improvement. I find myself really reading your text box descriptions. A question about your factory demos: is each demo done with both humbuckers and single coils?

Hey Viabcroce,
    The nail material is trimmable so you can cut the length and shape it just like a normal nail. I cut mine to about an 1/8 of an inch plus I round the ends.

Replaceable nails? No, I'm pretty sure you'd have to buy another set. Don't know how long they'd last. That's a good question, tho.

They don't make a thumbnail version yet, just fingers. I'm like you, I prefer "naked" thumb. But I spoke to Gus, the owner of Ultimate Fingerpick, and he said they're looking into making one sometime in the future.

V, I'd caution you to check the circumference of all your fingers at the first knuckle. Like I posted earlier, my fingers are too big for their medium size. Only my pinky (2-1/8") would fit comfortably. I'd say you want to use 2-1/8" as the max size, otherwise they're going to be too tight.

All this said, they did work great for as long as I could stand the pain. Can barely wait for the extra large.

Got a set of four Ultimate Fingerpicks on Friday.

First thing: this is definitely a great idea. The feel is very close to playing "au naturel". And the hole at the end lets you touch the string, keeping that real flesh and nail feel. Plus you never have to worry about breaking a nail again.

If you have slender fingers, I think you'll love them. And if they ever make 'em in Extra Large, I'd definitely buy another set.

But right now they are only available in Medium which is much too small for my fat fingers (for reference my index is 2-5/8"). I tried cutting recommended expansion slits in one fingerpick to see if I could tolerate the pressure. It helped but only for a short period of time.

The Ultimate Fingerpick is a relatively new company so it may be a long time before they start making all the needed sizes. Personally I hope their business is successful so I can be a repeat customer.

Hey Trevor,
    Welcome to Kemperland. It's a guitarist's dream, IMHO.

I dig your band, nice YouTube sampler. Best of luck. Being in Nashville I'm thinking you probably have access to lots of cool amps. Hope you'll profile some for us in the future.