Posts by JAC

Those two presets are the same in the Kemper as well; it's not just a documentation error. And yes, they do sound identical.

That said, while I don't have hands-on experience with any of the drives being cloned, the new presets sound great to me, especially the OCD ones. Thanks again Kemper!

I'm not using a midi footswitch here, just a TRS dual footswitch but I think our experience is the same. Also on an old toaster, OS 7.5, if I have a delay and reverb set and each has the freeze option available, selecting 'freeze' with the footswitch will toggle the freeze on/off for both.

An interesting thing is that you can set freeze on a particular effect independently with the corresponding soft button above the kemper display. So with a freeze-capable delay and reverb, you can engage the footswitch, turning on freeze for both, then (while in the reverb menu) disengage the reverb freeze with the soft button. Tapping the footswitch again will turn freeze off for delay but on for reverb.

This isn't very useful, in my opinion, because even if you can assign another switch to disable the reverb block, it involves a good bit of tap-dancing if you want to change your freeze chord and re-engage a wet sound.

As I've said in my previous post, the best option for me is to use the 'Legacy Reverb' type, since it doesn't have the freeze option and will therefore provide a wet sound whether or not the freeze is engaged on another block.

I have freeze applied to just the delay, so it freezes the delay sound only so that when I play on top of it, I can still have reverb on that adds to the ambience. I believe after OS 7 or 6 they may have changed the way things froze, so I had to revert to an older OS.

Using OS 7.5 beta here; the legacy delay and legacy reverb don't have a freeze option, so they can be used for the ambience. So it's possible to use an external footswitch to control the freeze in a delay/reverb effect place in (for example) the mod slot, and have a normal delay and reverb running as well in their traditional slots.

However, the fancy delays and 'verbs all have freeze.

No, but I've watched that video more than once. Sounds great to me. I'm not sure I'd be so tempted to get it now that the acoustic sim for the kemper is available. That said, I wonder if the sounds from it can be profiled :/

I either use headphones when connected to usb audio interface, or have the kemper going into the front of a 15w practice amp (with cab-sim on); I'm more concerned with the tone sounding good than being accurate. I bought an Ibanez mini-ts, and it sounds great, but realised quickly that I could get identical (to me) results from the Kemper's approximation.

I'd say it's down to personal preference, when it comes to having effects before and after the Kemper in the signal chain. External effects involve more complication, and more mess. They do have dedicated controls which can make them more convenient to edit, but you won't be able to switch presets on the external fx when you switch kemper profiles, unless they're midi enabled, and you have a midi controller.

I'm no kind of expert either, but there might be something that you could try...

1. While making a profile of an ordinary amp, split the signal coming out of the kemper and record that signal directly. I say "make a profile of an ordinary amp", because otherwise the profiler might stop the process if it doesn't hear anything (can't confirm this, just supposing).

2. Once the profiling process has finished, take your recording of the 'ufo' profiling sounds and feed it into the kemper, recording the results (in mono I'd guess).

3. Finally, start the profiling process again, but this time play the results of the recording made in step 2 and feed it back to the kemper, as you would a signal from a mic or an amp's line out.

I'd guess that success would depend on how accurate you'd have to be with the timing of starting playback in step 3. Also, I think I remember reading something about problems profiling amps when noise gates were enabled (but not 100% sure) so you might need to disable kemper's noise gate when attempting.

Anyway, I've never tried this, so you could be doing a world-first here. Best of luck!

The Mooer multifx pedals (ge150 ge200 ge250, ge300) are wothwhile options to consider. I've been lusting after a ge200 for a while now; sounds great on youtube demos. The IR loading is a big plus. I'm not sure what their pitch fx is like though.

Interesting! The FS-6 drains battery (I mean, the LED is on) when there's a cable connected, and I left it disconnected when not in use for this reason. So perhaps it was the plugging in of the TRS cable to the footswitch that triggered a spike that started the Kemper's looper.

In any event, I eventually bought a dedicated looper so I could see the bar count.

This used to happen to me with a Boss FS-6 dual footswitch connected to operate the looper. Often (always?) on kemper startup, a loop would be triggered. Using headphones, so it was a bit easier to track down :)

I use a Roland EV-5 and a Yamaha FC-7. The Yamaha has a greater range of movement, is larger, more configurable, heavier and sturdier. Both have a non-detachable cable, which may not suit. I prefer the Roland, because its range of motion feels a bit nicer to me when sitting down. It's also easier to store and transport.

Neither would be as sturdy as a Dunlop Crybaby wah, so I use them respectfully and wouldn't be jumping onto them :D

I read this before.
    However, if a vibrato adds a certain 'give' when bending a string, you still have to apply the same amount of force to get to the same pitch. Also the neighboring strings would add additional resistance since the string would need to be moved further.

That's true; there's no getting around the fact that the same guage and length of string will require the same tension to generate the same pitch. However, perhaps the sensation of looseness comes from the beginning of the bend, rather than at the target pitch.

Personally, I'm thinking more about how the strings feel against the plectrum. When attempting to pick at speed on my tele, I get a better sense of knowing where the string is under my pick at a given moment. This means I can dig in deeper. In contrast, I feel the need to "tip-toe" more when playing fast-passages on my floyd-rose guitars.

I didn't write this very clearly - what I meant was: the same set of 09s feels stiffer my Tele than on my Strat. (Fender & G&L, same scale)

I have the same experience with my Tele; I'd guess it's because of the fixed bridge.

I've been thinking of getting an Elector Harmonix 8-Step Program. Does anyone have any experience with it, specifically, using it with the Kemper as a replacement for an expression pedal? It might be cool to use it to alter the pitch, acting as an arpeggiator, and also using it with morphing to increase the delay feedback at certain times.

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    from about 11:45 Mr. Kemper talks about the low cut and high cut controls going into v7.5

the simple truth of software development is, that things can change at any time. The underlying issue, in many cases, is, that the more an application comes to completion, the better you can test it. In this case, the current state is, that all features have been implemented and we keep running into little things we were not able to see before. From what I've experienced over the years, this is very normal in software development.

I'm totally happy that my last post received such a positive response and I very much appreciate that. I'll try to keep you posted on the progress from this point onwards. I don't think that "a few days" will mean "a month" but when you take into account what I wrote above, you might understand that what I write right now is entirely based on what I know right now.

This was posted shortly after the "couple of additional days" update. I don't know why people cant wrap their heads around this concept.

I'm sure the editor won't be perfect when it arrives (no software ever is), but it'll surely be in a better state than it would have been, had it been released in October.

I don’t care about the editor anymore I’m looking forward to the iOS app8o

There are way more people in general on Android devices, but I wonder how the usage figures stack up with regards to musicians in general, and current Kemper owners.

Actually, AFAIK, this is all assembly code for a DSP that has no future beyond this generation of Kemper Profiler. This is code that is basically not portable to anything.

Obviously the editor isn't written in assembly code but it's surprising that the Kemper OS binary isn't compiled from some high-level language like C.

There's some established wisdom for why software companies shouldn't draft in extra help at this stage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…th#The_mythical_man-month

Aside from that, there's probably legal (read ownership) issues for keeping development in-house. It seems like it's taking a long time but Kemper is developing a codebase that has the potential to be used for decades (e.g. future hardware releases for other instruments). The same goes for the delays, reverbs and (hopefully) drive algorithms.