Posts by STUDIO44

Please take a listen. Kemper VS Plugin.zip

1st clip- is STL Tonality

2nd clip- is Howard Benson Kemper pack.

Both are being reamped and using the same profile. Why is the Kemper sounding like S***@&#?$

Updated my O.S, made a full factory reset, checked my XLR cable... same result.

Headphones output is identical to the main output.

I did checked if the cab was off, and or Pure cab was unable. No issue there.

Any ideas whats wrong?

Anyone else found that their Kemper sounds different theses past few months? I wasn't sure until this week, when I reamped a DI track that i previously reamped a few months ago. Using the same profile (a Micheal Wagner one) tough they sounded similar, they differ in the 3K to 5K range. A bit more harsh. I did test this a second time with another profile and the reseult were the same.

I'm not sure if it's an OS update thing or the cab lock transfer bug i've heard about. (How would i go and fix that?) Anything else i should check? My gain staging is not the problem here, same spdif input and output level.

Any help would be appreciated!

maybe try the Bogner Barcelona profiles by Scott Ritchie. Instead of using a SM57 (which might be the cause of the midrange you don't like) he used a much smoother R144 ribbon mic.
    if you like the basic sound, but not how the amp feels, just use the cabinet.

Not band, not bad.... I try to keep my rthm without pedals to use those on lead parts.

I' not sure it's the sm57 thing... I'm thinking more of a cab or speaker related issue... you know the kind of whistle you hear at 2.5K?

Quoted from "STUDIO44" Do you also own is commercial pack or only the cabs? yes the Chimera pack,you can get something useable right away,maybe just take gain down a little and layer it up. but there are some great cabs in that pack and as i said just about any amp you want to use will work fine with them.

Cool thanks, I'll probably get theses. Talking about layering, are the different profiles (of the same amp with different mics setups) phased align?

Well, yes and no.

Aiming at a wall of sound, is a good way of describing it. Blending different profiles, filtering, EQ is how I usually achieve this. Let me assure you (without any pretention) I know how to do this. Like I said before, I know how much work it takes to get there and I'm not after some claimed ''mix ready'' profile.

As for the tune vacuum cleaner, I'm not too sure what you mean by that... yeah they sound thin if you listen in solo... Now, how big or thin you make your rhythms gtrs is really mix dependent.

Let me be more specific, most profiles I've been testing so far (except the Tills ones) we're not profile to be used in the manner I want (Crunchy rhythms,mid/fast playing, heavy picking powerchords). It's all about mic placement here obviously. The 2K/4K zone is way off (Over barring harshness, resonances) for the sound I'm after. Of course I'm going to EQ the mids, still it's so far away from the hi mids i'm after that when I threat that region enough to be in the ball game, I just kill the tone doing so... now they sound lifeless.

It's not easy, brain bugling.... the never ending battle of getting your gtrs tone rocking, but still under control in a dense mix situation.

Thanks man!

I'm actually testing some profiles right now and indeed some of the free Tills ones are the closest I found so far. The 2K to 4K zone is spot on without to much nastiness to cut and kill the tone Even with the top commercial ones, there's always something wrong with the 2.5K ishh zone for that kind of music aka crunchy power chords riffs.

Do you also own is commercial pack or only the cabs?

Anyone has suggestions on what profiles sounds good for that type of music?

I'm looking for some good rhythm profiles with good crunch, not overly distorted. Think... Green Day, Lit, Paramore.

Theses are for recording purpose. They don't have to be mix ready but clean enough so that when I low/hi pass filter them, it doesn't reveal too much nastiness in the mids.

Feel free to suggest some commercial profiles also...

Thanks guys! :P

I think it's because album tones are very finely tuned to work and sit in that particular mix, when taken out of context it just sounds weird and unnatural.

But it seems we're debating two different things here, match eq as a mastering tool and as a tool for making Kemper profiles. :D

Agree, of course the tone are sculpted to fit a particular mix and listening to it in solo will always sound "werid". Still, when i compare the source and the result of a tone, i still can hear some weird phase issue.

Nobody was talking about using it as a mastering summing EQ. On indivual instruments, ozone match EQ works great. In fact i would say it´s the most common used "secret tool" that no producer would ever admit to use ;)

Again, maybe a Metal producer could use this but for any other musical style... NO WAY!

Interesting thoughts guys but i think a few things should be clarified.

Lack of dynamics

If you don't know what i'm referring to, just Google Dynamic range. Also, I'm ONLY talking about a guitar track here, not the whole song. The more the sound is distorted the less dynamic is has, in other words distortion is compression. That's why i took metal high gain as an exemple. A clean tone is WAY MORE dynamic than any tone with distortion.

Personally, i never like it.

2 reasons, weird phasing going on and lack of dynamics.

Maybe it works for metal when the gain is maxed out but for anything else is pretty useless. For exemple, a modern rock rhythm tone is often achieve by blending 2 amps, one of witch is way less distorted. (That's where the dynamics comes from) I'm not sure how you could EQ match that less distorted tone as EQ match is terrible at clean tones.

What do you think? Anyone has any special trick up their sleeves? :whistling: