Posts by chopsfromhell

Not an answer to your questions, but just wanted to toss in my experience with the Kemper. Re-amping was definitely something that interested me about the KPA originally. So I bought it and a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 for the firewire and SPDIF connections. Studio One 2 is the DAW I use. When I got the gear, I just wanted to test it out quickly. Skipped the SPDIF connections because I didn't want to take the time to figure out the master/slave/rate stuff, and just went KPA master out/XLR/Saffire Pro/Studio One, created a track, hit record, started playing, and proceeded to crap my pants due how awesome the KPA was, and that I would finally be able to get professional results at home without even setting up a mic! Later I figured out the SPDIF stuff, messed around with re-amping a bit. But honestly the KPA sounds so good I don't even find the need to re-amp if I just take a bit to find the proper tone for the track before hand. With re-amping I find myself spending too much time concentrating on the endless possibilities of the KPA instead of just laying down the track.

Anyway, my point is, the KPA is as deep and complicated as you want it to be. Don't be frustrated by it. If you just want to hook it up and record, pretty damn easy. If you want to devote a huge chunk of your life to digging the deep well that is the KPA, oh yeah, it's all there. Over two years in as a Kemper owner, and I still think the KPA is the absolute coolest piece of gear I ever have or possibly ever will own.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Thanks for mix pointer, Andy. I've got a lot to keep learning! Yeah, for my purposes the JTV59 is really something special, particularly for the other instrument models and alternate tunings. Here's a cool youtube vid, Sean Halley's doing the demo, he's killer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8E1Yw7ixtM. Outside of all the modeling voodoo, using it as just a standard electric, the magnetic pickups sound great and it's a great playing instrument. I've used it on a lot of my other tracks, like the Boston cover I did a while back.

Thank you all! Glad you dig it! Andy, that profile is your "!S27 MONEY OUTRO - 2013-01-17 12-22-04.kipr" which I believe is Gilmour's HiWatt you profiled, not sure from which pack - I think I have most all of them :thumbup: - awesome profiles! The reverb on the leads is Andy's reverb setting that came with the profile. I used a JTV59 Line 6 on the intro stuff. The rest was a my Stratenstein with Yngwie's Seymour Duncan drop in pickup/pickguard setup. Some of the backing was actually created with Band-In-Box - also an amazing tool for learning, writing, and recording. I added some additional hall reverb on the entire mix, which is why the guitar is swimming in it a bit. Have to admit I'm no professional at recording/mixing, I just keep at it until I hear something I like and move on to the next song...

Thanks, everyone! You're all too kind! That track was a workout, and definitely a lot of fun. George has always been one of my favorites, although I never actually took the time to learn a complete song of his up to this point. Definitely one quirky dude, but that's why there's only one Mr. Scary! Very unusual phrasing, note choices, technique - awesome! Happy 60th birthday, George (Sept. 28th, I believe)!

Thanks again for listening!

Thanks, Pete! But just to be clear, chopsfromhell is only a reference to myself as the name of my instructional website I've had going since '99, nothing more! When I was in high school way back in the 80's I was watching Steve Lukather's Star Licks video with a friend. After Steve whipped off one of his warp speed licks (the lick at the 12th position ending with the double stop bend at the beginning of the tape - for those of you who may recall) I picked my jaw up off the floor and said "man, that guy's got some serious chops!" My friend replied "He's got chops from hell!". Always stuck in my mind. When it was time to come up with a unique name for an instructional site, that hadn't been taken already, I decided to put the phrase to use. If I was to really have a user name indicative of myself, I would probably go with "oldguythat'sbeenplayingfor33years"!

Hey, all. Been busy recording new stuff in my spare time. Some of this has probably been posted previously. Sort by date for the new tracks. Thanks to all the usual suspects for the amazing profiles (Andy, Armin, Pete, Sinmix, Choptones, Sweetspot, Top Jimi)! Starting some riffage with Mr. Wagener's profiles today, looking forward to that! And of course, thank you Mr. Kemper, for the coolest guitar gizmo ever!

Hope you dig. Thanks for giving it a spin...

kemper lust

I used to own the Randall RM4 modular preamp gizmo along with the RT2/50 power amp. Got rid of the preamp, but kept the power amp to use with other gear and my Marshall cab, and also because a stereo tube power amp is too cool. Loved the setup, but the two together weighed like 4 tons, and I'm getting to old to hunk that sort of thing around. Anyway, I'm thrilled with my UBER Pak purchase. Really, to think I now have access to Michael Wagener's profile work, and gear!?! For a couple of hundred bucks? Hell, I spent more on single RM4 preamp module. I dropped over 4 times the price of the UBER Pak just to fill all the preamp slots in my RM4. Have you seen how many Randall preamp module profiles are included? Sounds like a Chris Berman "C'mon, man!" is in order. So I just wanted to extend a sincere "Thank you!" to Mr. Wagener. Hopefully you will continue release more profiles in the future, and that other studio heavyweights like yourself will follow your lead. Just my 2 cents on all this. Hail, Kemper!

Yeah, I believe there may definitely be some language / cultural differences in play here. We all know there's certainly enough of that going on in the world, all you have to do is turn on the TV. From personal experience I have purchased from damn near every premium profile creator involved at this forum, and can honestly say I've had a great customer experience with every single one of them. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I'd like to think that's not the case. Let's just keep in mind the tremendous device that Mr. Kemper has developed that allows us to do what we all do. I'm still in awe every time I crank up the toaster. So everyone get out your Peter, Paul & Mary "Kumbaya" 45s and start strumming...