Posts by HCarlH

In front, always a TC Polytune (because the Kemper's tuner is too slow for live gigs).

I was also using a Fulltone Deluxe Clyde since I like the sound of it.

Now that I have a Freqout, I'll put that in front.

I can see giving up the wah, but not the tuner. I don't foresee Kemper giving us a useful tuner anytime soon. And until a PEQ is added for the monitor out, I will continue to use a Quadraverb inbetween the KPA and the K10.

I'm never quite sure how to take some of the comments. The same people marvel at the KPA's accuracy while simultaneously talking about how a profile is "thicker and smoother", or earlier the suggestion that the profile sounded "more real". Should the profile not faithfully replicate the source tone, no matter how "unreal" or "thin and jagged" it sounds? If you're suggesting the KPA makes things sound "more real" than they actually are, isn't that an unwitting admission that profiling imposes its own qualities? We can't have it both ways.

The circumstances are a bit different given this is an Axe-FX, not a Marshall. The profile also had multiple gain stages that the KPA struggles with and was tweaked. Regardless, we should be able to approach it with a little intellectual honesty.

I hear profiles in which the Kemper is spot on to the original amp. I'm not concerned with the Kemper's ability to profile the Axe or not. I have a Kemper because I've never heard anything come out of a Fractal product I liked.

I don't think the Axe's patch sounded good at all regardless; not my style of music.

I definitely wouldn't want to profile it.

It's also easy to make the Kemper sound bad with just a few parameter changes.

Before I reveal the answer to which sample belongs to which unit, it's worth noting that I did tweak the Kemper profile to match the Axe-Fx III preset the best I could. I tweaked the Treble and Presence and added a couple of bands of EQ using the Studio Equalizer. The Kemper profile was originally darker than the Axe-Fx preset. So, without further ado:

Clip #1: Axe-Fx III

Clip #2: Kemper

I guessed correctly. The Axe had no body to the tone with jagged edges. The Kemper was thicker and smoother sounding.

I just purchased a Warmoth, short scale conversion neck for a Fender Deluxe Player body.

WOW. It's going to be really hard to go back to a traditional, long scale Fender neck. I've had to put 9.5s on my Strats because .010s have too much tension to bend, but I hated the thin tone. .010s on a short scale are slinky enough and sound great. I'm going to get a maple fingerboard version for another Strat with SSS configuration.

This Warmoth neck is roasted maple, compound neck with stainless steel 6105 frets, Earvana/Graphtech compensated nut, and Indian Rosewood fingerboard. The best playing Strat neck I've ever had. Highly recommended.

I have found that the clean channels of some high gain amps can have great clean tones. Somewhere I have a Diezel profile in which I used the cleanest profile of it for my clean tone.
    It's not always the traditional clean amps which have the best cleans.

At home, I keep all my rigs in Rig Manager. It's easy to try amps/rigs out without actually storing on the Kemper. When I gig, I store only the rigs I need on the Kemper plus a few that are versatile for a lot of situations.

My understanding is you're supposed to keep the stored rigs <1,000.

I'm hoping that Cab Maker will be able to take any IRs we have and convert them into Imprints.

After several years, I'm falling out of love with my QSC K10 and would prefer to get the custom speaker for a never used T21 Power Engine and have a light weight, amp sounding rig. Waiting patiently.

Find out what values the pots are. I have a 1980 Les Paul that was shipped with 300K pots for either the volume or tone. Before I discovered that, I always wondered why the neck pickup was muddy no matter what I put in there.

I switched out the pots with RS Guitarworks Vintage style pots and WOW. Not only did 500K open up the guitar, but the tone caps gave me a woman tone for the Clapton sound. (BTW, I settled on Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs which sound great for what I like to play.)

I'm not familiar with how EB packs their strings, but I believe D'Addario has some type of chemical in their packs which prevents rusting. I've never had a problem with those.

OTOH, I special ordered a case of Dean Markley Carl Verheyen strings. They were in plastic packs with each string in a traditional paper wrapper. EVERY LAST STRING in all of the packs was rusted. I was livid.

Maybe "cobalt" strings are prone to rusting(?)

Humidity is not a good environment for strings, that's for sure.

I would try to use a strings like D'Addarios within 2 years of manufacture. Traditionally wrapped strings I would try to use within a year's time.

Others might have their experiences to offer.

In 2017, I bought my MacBook Pro off EBay used.
    A Mid-2012 i7/16GB RAM/ SSD 250 GB for $860.

The same specs and year for a used Mac Mini I bought last year for about the same price.

A gently used Mac is the way to go. Saves a lot of money.

Was CK pissed again? (Pissed = drunk, not sure if that term is used internationally).

If he was, it was probably having to deal with the typical NAMM BS; lousy food, rude people, THE CONSTANT VOLUME FROM ALL THE BOOTHS, etc.

I know he'll be glad when it's all over.

Can you really do that? I thought the OS had to be on the laptop itself?

From Apple:

When you use Startup Manager to select a startup disk, your Mac starts up from that disk once, then returns to using the disk selected in Startup Disk preferences.

1. Press and hold the Option key immediately after turning on or restarting your Mac.
    2. Release the Option key when you see the Startup Manager window.
      If your Mac is protected by a firmware password, you can release the key when you're asked to enter the password.
    3. Select your startup disk, then click the arrow under its icon, or press Return.
      If you press and hold the Control key during this step, your selection is saved in Startup Disk preferences, so it persists until you change it.