Posts by nightlight

I really wouldn't look at these things like "planned obsolescence". Most products have life cycles, and while the Kemper is an exception, I don't think most of the users here would be able to cite many companies that have supported their product like Kemper (I know RME is one).

At $1000, it looks like their target market is Helix users. It's also cheaper than the AX8 was on launch, which means they will probably move a lot of units.

It looks like the engine has also been updated to the one being used in the Axe FX3, so probably has some very good tone capabilities.

Kemper users obviously don't need one, but I'm positive that a whole lot of users will be gassing for one.

I'd like to see a spillproof floorboard Profiler from Kemper myself. I'm sure they'd have thought of that. Make the damn thing bulletproof, with gorilla glass and sealed apertures.

The form factor is critical for me in that sense. I don't even mid it being as big as the Helix. It'll still be easier and quite possibly lighter than lugging my Kemper and Remote.

If he were convinced that the Axe-Fx were superior before trying the Kemper, it seems unlikely he would've shelled out the money just to try one.

This is the free section of the forums. These are the only posts he has made.

Note he has not clarified what the disadvantages of the Kemper are. Nor has he said what makes the Axe FX superior.

Just general FUD tactics. He even posted in the other gear section rather than the introductions section.

The new forum software that was introduced several months back broke the link in my sig and posts.

I fixed the one in my sig when the software was updated, and "just for you", I've fixed the one you referred to in post #405. I can't hunt down and fix all historic links 'cause it'll take too much time and besides that, I doubt I could find them all; they appear in posts "all over" the forum.

HTH, mate. Use the one in post #405 or the one below in my sig.

Good stuff!

Regardless of experience there can be magic captured in a profile. It can be perfectly accurate or even better than the original tone with creative tricks. I profile daily and can say I am continuously amazed at the results the Kemper brings. It isn't a capture of the amp but a piece of art created by the profiler made possible by the technology of the Kemper.

A good way to look at it!

Often when tonal discrepancies are discussed, the common thread is to suggest user error. Early on Kemper tweaked the profiling algorithm to fix a low end issue, then Lasse Lammert and others pointed out that the mids were now a little off. This doesn't make the KPA unusable by any stretch, but it's nonetheless been noticed by many for a long time as something "baked in". There have also been a number of examples over time of, especially commercial profilers, saying their profile are 'indistinguishable" from the amp they profiled. Most cases comparisons aren't shown, but in the few cases where they are, some differences can often be detected, even if they suggest there is none (and of course this varies). That can definitely account for "feel". Low end response, especially in direct profiles, has been another long-discussed topic that may have an effect on "feel" depending on how it's defined by the player.

Sometimes how profiles are made or approached can be "user error", but some years back when the forum erupted for a while discussing profiling differences that were repeatedly demonstrated, the Kemper team was asked how to help improve profiling accuracy when they kept suggesting it was "user error". To my knowledge from the people I know here who asked that question, there was never a specific or satisfactory answer. One of the KPA's early adopters that got people really excited was producer/engineer Michael Wagener. Even he suggested in an interview that there are special things he needed to manipulate about a profile fed to the KPA to make it "more accurate" but said you'd have to be there with him to demonstrate it. Point being, it can't always be "user error" if there's no in-depth examination of what error is being made or what would make a proper, more accurate profile. But that takes us further from the Friedman point/issue, I just felt it was worth considering what CK means by "user error", and perhaps he wants to elaborate.

Michael Wagener is an extremely highly regarded producer though. If he says there is a workaround, there definitely is one.

From my own limited experience profiling, it is practically 1:1 tone cloning. There is a marginal difference, but in a band setting, the strengths of the unit far outweigh any shortcomings.

I think I'd also like to clarify my own stance regarding "feel". The Kemper feels bloody good, there's a lot of dynamics that you can feel in your fingers. It reacts very similarly or even exactly like a tube amp.

The only thing I wish I could change is that little bit of latency. It's definitely negligible and doesn't affect playing.

But from a tactile perspective, amps react quicker - i.e. not differently in terms of feel, but in terms of the instantaneous reaction that you get in your ears, which is sort of like the sound interacting with your fingers.

This is not a golden ears or magic touch argument. I can play my Kemper without any issues whatsoever as the latency is around 1-3ms.

The interplay between fingers and sound is just a little bit less, imho. Such is the price of using a digital device.

Thankfully, not a deal breaker. You'd have to be pretty anal to say that it makes it impossible to use the Kemper, though there's a video where Steve Vai makes that exact argument about modellers and other digital tone generating devices.

But he's Steve freaking Vai, so I will accept it as the reasoning of one of the greatest guitarists in the last 100 years.

Not applicable to ordinary mortals though, thankfully! :D

The comments on feel of amps by some suggest to me they are saying the dynamic response they get standing in front of the amp and cab (at the sort of levels they use to get the tone they desire) are not what they get with the profiler - presumably through monitors, cans or FRFR. As CK suggests this is apples with oranges.

A better test in the studio would be to mic up the amp and stand in the control room playing with monitors or cans ie isolated from the direct amp sound. Human hearing is far from linear in terms of how things seem at different volumes, Fletcher Munson curves apply to the frequency balance and there is also compression at high levels.

That "amp in the room" tone is why a lot of people don't gel with Profilers or modellers. The powered Kemper is amazing in that regard, since it gives you the best of both worlds.

This is a really great post, very incisive.

The part about sounds disappearing in the mix is really interesting to me as a user, since I have been guilty of suggesting that with high gain sounds, I always seem to believe there's more usable low end content when comparing a recorded tube amp vs the same profiled tube amp.

In that regard, Mr CK, there used to be quite a number of videos when the Kemper was just getting popular where users would suggest increasing the bass of a profile to compensate for what was perceived as less low end from the profile.

But I guess you're saying that's more likely user error during the profiling process?

Was profiling on my birthday. This is a profile of a PRS Archon, the mics used were a Sennheiser E906 and a RB77DX ribbon microphone model on my Sphere mic.

Recorded with a single coil neck pickup. I didn't crank a maximiser on the recording, do listen to it on headphones. And if you do decide to try the profile, sounds best at higher volumes.

Zapman (or was it Zappledan ), I think you might like this. Clears up pretty nicely too.

Having a collection of toys can really motivate you to pick up your instrument.

I remember when I first got my Kemper, I must have been playing it every day for a year.

But this morning before work, it was the seven string humbucker Mayones into a Triple Rec -> 4x12 for a while, then I swapped that amp for an Engl Savage till it was time to leave.

But when I get back home, it's going to be the six-string SSS Sugi with a midi pickup attached into the Kemper, and driving my synthesizers.

Tomorrow? The eight string? The #1 whammy bar Caparison guitar? Profile the Victory Kraken I'm selling? Try to learn Sky Full of Stars on the keyboard? Work on my double bass drumming?

Of course, gear alone is only part of the motivation. Nine out of 10 people who buy an instrument never play it again after a while in my experience, that's why stores are full of beginners equipment, as they are the biggest group of people buying instruments.

In that regard, it's good to have a goal like "learn a new song" or "record solos today".

Good for you. When depressed, Cederick , keep the mind occupied.

My birthday is around the corner (like I need excuses to buy gear), so I picked up my dream synth to celebrate.

My resolution for 37 is to now learn how to play keys like Jordan Ruddess :D

Till then, I'll be using it in my electronic music project. Some amazing patches in there, I need to RTFM though.