Posts by nightlight

Phantom power on the XLR, although it's recommended to turn off when you're not driving a condenser, doesn't hurt the Kemper..

The danger is not when the cable is plugged in. It's when you pull it out or reinsert it. Basically the powered line comes in contact with other parts of the Kemper. Not a good idea at all.

In the first picture, you have set the output to reamp and the input to profiler. What this is doing is that the signal that is being output is being sent back into the DAW after being reamped, then repeated ad infinitum. This is a sort of feedback loop, which is why you're hearing those distorted sounds. Change the input to something else while you are reamping, only activate it as profiler left when you are recording.

Anyone other than me about to take the plunge? I have 6.5 and totally skipped 7. What interests me about this one is the promise of faster performance thanks to the improved engine. Upgrade price seems about right and I figure if I delay further, I'd probably have to pay a lot more down the line. Planning on an incremental upgrade strategy, so that I save costs in future.

<p>EpiphanyOfMusic, here's what you need to know:</p>

<p>1) If you set your SPDIF output to Guitar/Stack, you will get the dry DI signal on the left channel and the wet signal in mono on the right channel</p>

<p>2) In Cubase, set up a stereo input pair for SPDIF left/right.&nbsp;</p>

<p>3) Create a mono track and set the input for this track to SPDIF left</p>

<p>4) Create another mono track (for monitoring purposes) and set this to SPDIF right. Turn on input monitoring on this track</p>

<p>5) Record your DI signal (i.e. the first track)</p>

<p>6) Go to input settings on your Kemper. Set the input to SPDIF, not front input</p>

<p>7) Create an output bus in Cubase for SPDIF. Doesn't matter if it's stereo or mono, I'd use stereo</p>

<p>8) Go to your DI track. Change the output to SPDIF bus. Remember, this should only be done after recording your DI track so that you can audition on your headphones</p>

<p>9) Create another track in Cubase. Remember to change your output for SPDIF now. You should change it to stack for an effected signal without delay and reverb or master stereo for a wet signal.&nbsp;</p>

<p>10) Arm this track and press record. You should set the output for this track to your speaker channel so you can hear the results of your recording.&nbsp;<br />
    &nbsp;</p>

<p>This should get you started. There's a reamping guide somewhere on these forums. Do a reading of that if you want to get optimal results from reamping. &nbsp;</p>

Great. I wish there was a better way to do this. If you had a wide open space, I think the volume difference as you raised the master volume would be more perceptible. You'd also get better results by moving the Zoom recorder further away, which would prevent its mic from getting overloaded. Nevertheless, I didn't see much difference in the tone as you raised the volume, so a plus point right there.

How would a global control solve this purpose any differently from the current noise gate? I don't think the current noise gate functions differently at higher volumes, it's very different from other devices, pretty much set and forget. For example, if I set the noise gate a little higher because of some noise on my distortions, I don't have to change it for my clean tones, it definitely does not impact the sound or the sustain if you set it at a reasonable level.

This I'm not certain of, as it is supposed to be a plain Line Out for use with another power amplifier or a speaker emulator. Although there could be some "impurities" running from it that wouldn't be there from a DI box inbetween the head and the cab.

Thanks for the clairification, just went through the manual and it is advertised as a line out pre-power amp and post preamp, so it does not appear to have speaker emulation of any kind. Still, if you A/B profiling with the line out vis-a-vis a DI box, you might notice some differences, but what do I know?

The definitive answer of course is Thumas', you'll have to get that annoying noise gate out of the way to profile accurately.

It did and I used it, but on the other hand, the noise gate on the Kemper works much better and in a different way than the GT-8. I can't imagine how a global parameter would improve things in that respect. Any situations you think it would come in handy?