Posts by nightlight

This is not how I would run a wet/dry/wet setup if I wanted to use the double tracker. As the name implies, it's a stereo effect, and if you run it in mono, you will encounter a tonne of problems/it won't work the right way.

You would need to figure out some kind of compromise here really.

Why are you only running a delay/reverb wet signal, I'm curious to know? I was always under the impression that wet/dry/wet doesn't mean you just output a reverb and delay signal. Instead, you send an effected signal, whereas the centre signal is dry.

If you feed that signal to the FOH, it is going to sound lousy at a gig. You need to feed your tone to the FOH more than anything else.

If you're referring to just monitors at home, I still think you'd get better tone with some of your unaffected signal blended in. You could always adjust the mix of the wet effects if you are aiming for that spacey sound. That way, you'd be able to use the double tracker too.

For your signal to the Kone, I'd just go with a stack setting, because the double tracker will be pointless when fed to a single cab. If you want to test this out, just send your stereo signal to your monitors and pan it to the centre. You'll hear all kinds of problems with phasing and phase cancellation.

I don't think a long press for muting the signal would be practical onstage.

For anyone who has a fast paced show, the signal needs to be muted as quickly as possible for tuning.

I think you're overthinking it, paults.

I don't think anyone really holds down the button when switching patches. It is a few milliseconds during which the button is tapped and that's it.

A usual press for a patch change is <0.2 sec, I'd guess. Just a tap.

A long press could be about 1 second of holding down the button.

I´ve also tested the Doubletracker. Basically it comes very close to the Mimiq, but I also have this "pulsating" sound (the right side gets quieter from time to time).

I also noticed that when you change rigs there is a strong pulsation, as if you were playing over a leslie-box for a few seconds. I copied the default crunch rig and switched it back and forth. The DTRK was in default mode (looseness 5.0, stereo 100%, detune 0.0 cent).

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Listening to this clip, as well as the first one I posted, it appears that there's very strong phase cancellation happening from time to time, which almost sounds like a click as the audio gets swallowed up.

Till that gets resolved, I would be quite sceptical of using this in a live situation, just for fear that the audio will "fold" into itself like that and create an artifact that sounds like I messed up while playing.

The Mimiq doesn't do this, neither does the Strymon Deco that I usually use for double tracking.

It is very infrequent, which gives me hope that Kemper Amps is capable of figuring out how to prevent it from happening.

After all, this is a beta, so I don't want to jump the gun and say it doesn't work, when it is entirely possible this is something that the company has already taken stock of and is working to rectify.

Been reading a lot of threads about people pressing the tuner button during gigs and then finding they have no sound.

I was thinking it would be cool to have the tuner operate in two ways.

When you long press the tuner, it should mute the sound and display the tuner.

If you short press the tuner, it should show the tuner, but not mute the sound.

This might help prevent this unfortunate situation from happening, and it is also a great way to be able to mute/unmute the tuner without doing it from the Kemper.

Life's too short to worry about a device if you feel your tone isn't what you expect. We all have different tastes, so it could be that you just aren't feeling the Kemper.

That said, download the trial of the Neural plugin, dial up some tones and then profile them with the Kemper. (Not sure how ethical that is, now that I think of it)

After you're done, play the plugin, play the Kemper and see whether you still have the same opinion.

The advantage of the Kemper is that you already have it, it is portable, and you can use it in a variety of situations.

The plugin, on the other hand, requires you to cart around a laptop and an interface.

In the end, no one can take the call for you. I've also had periods where I felt the Kemper wasn't doing it for me, but I always bought another one down the line, because it is a very handy tool to have.

I haven't heard of the Kemper adding sub-bass, quite the opposite - the low end seems to have less girth than the original amplifiers.

I wouldn't low pass to 120hz while creating a profile, that would definitely result in the profile sounding less like a real guitar. So your results are not unexpected.

Have you tried listening with headphones? I know your room is treated, but it could be that there are still nodes that make you perceive additional low frequencies when there aren't any.

Also, could you post some clips of the original amplifier sound and the profiles?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is a bit old, but I only heard it recently. Awesome song and the lyrics are good.

I can report today that using the default setting of looseness of 5.0 and no detune makes the effect work like it's intended to.

This tool is great. I faux quad tracked. Just two takes, with the double tracker on each of them. Maybe I got lucky, but no weird volume drops or phasing.

External Content youtu.be

My guess is that something is going screwy when you move away from the default setting. It's a bug that needs fixing. But in the meantime, it pays to just try using this with the default setting.

I would think this should only happen at stereo settings of >100%. Have you tried reducing the stereo field to 100% or less to see if the phase issue still exists?

Happens even with a 100% stereo setting. But I'm wondering if there's some kind of bug with the beta.

While I was playing later with the double tracker, I got a really exaggerated phasing sound while using the double tracker. It was just sweeping up and down every time I played. Haven't restarted the Kemper, but hopefully that will remove the issue.

Well, I ran the Double Tracker through its paces and... it's almost there, but there is a phasing issue which is common to this type of effect which basically renders it unusable in either a recording situation or a live situation.

External Content soundcloud.com

Have a listen to this recording. It sounds great and I was really stoked until till I started hearing one side of the signal being eaten up due to phasing at infrequent intervals.

Looseness was 5.0, stereo was 200% and detune was 0.6 cents.

I am wondering whether this is only happening when detune is activated. The phasing doesn't occur so much if you turn it off.

Could GString or ckemper shed some light on this? I seemed to encounter phasing on a lot of settings, which is a pity.

Are you sure?

You made me question myself so I've just tested it and it works fine for me on my Toaster. I can turn 4 individual FX On/Off from a single switch without any issues.

Ah me. My mistake. You can turn on and off all four FX, but if you only want to turn on two of them after that and deactivate two, you can't do that.

Basically, you can only assign an FX to a single button, and can't assign it to multiple buttons. That's what I meant.

It should be quite simple to turn on eight FX with a single button, then six with another, or four with a third. That would make for a great alternative way to use the Remote.

If nothing else, it serves to show that the profiling technology is now being more widely adopted. I guess we'll see what comes out next, though I wouldn't write this off either. Tubes in the signal path might make for a very lively signal chain, especially if they are not just for show.

The power amp tubes in particular are very interesting, we'll have to see more real world demos to make a call on how good or bad it is.

one of there studio capture is of neural dsp nolly is that legal

I think the worst part is that the profile is a clean one called "Thin Clean".

I think the Remote has a great design to pair with the Kemper, but it's time that it was updated to allow for users to define their own functions, rather than one size fits all.

For example:
    1) As a vocalist and guitarist, I often find it difficult to remember which button to press next to jump to a patch in a song.

It would be cool if I could be able to programme the Remote so that if I hit a single button, it will jump to rig 1 in a performance, then rig 2, then rig 3... Similarly, I should be able to hit a single button to scroll down through the rigs in a performance.

Just a single button to do this would make life more simple. Normal function should of course be available to anyone who desires it.

In this vein, it would also make sense to allow user defined functions for other buttons, with the option for the layout to be applicable on a per patch or global basis.

2) It would be cool to be able to multi-select multiple effects in any rig, rather than the current restriction of two on or two off. For example, for an ambient section, I would like to be able to activate the delay and reverb, as well as a chorus and some modulation with a single button press, instead of having to press two buttons.

I know Kemper Amps intended for us to jump to an altogether different patch, but there are situations where this might not be feasible, such as when there are more patch changes than currently permitted in a performance.

3) It would be nice to have a mode that displays all the performances on a Kemper and then be able to scroll to the right one.

For example, if we hold bank up or bank down, we should see a screen that provides a list of all the performance names on the Kemper that we can scroll through till we get to the right one.

This would be much better than having to try to scroll using memory to get to a performance for a song. With a lot of performances, this might take a long time.

4) A second layer of functionality for the buttons would be nice. For example, I'd like to be able to tie a morph function to each button when I long press them.

For example, one morph would control the panorama function, another would morph the delay parameters, etc.

Releasing the button would end the morph.

Hoping this can be considered by Kemper Amps. :thumbup:

What do the rest of you think?