Posts by nightlight

Remember, you don't need SPDIF to reamp. The same procedure could be replicated by setting the main outs to guitar/stack and then feeding the dry signal back to the Kemper. You won't have the reamp feature though and will have to do with clean sense and volume adjustments on your DAW to reduce/boost the signal.

There was a discussion about this and a thread some time ago. The author, I think, was guitartone and he demonstrated the results of profiling with a strat and a les paul on the same amp after refining. While there were subtle changes, I think the overall opinion was that what you played into the Kemper would have a greater impact (albeit, it might still be imperceptible to many) on the profile than the type of guitar. That's somewhat akin to Quitty's experience with the refining process.

I think the reason why there is unlikely to be a Kemper rig manager that allows you to change settings on the Kemper is the same reason why this is unfeasible. Kemper Amps use a proprietary OS on top of which everything is run. One of the reasons for this is to make it difficult for the technology to be replicated by someone that tried to deconstruct a Kemper and then create a similar device. I don't envisage a software application for the PC for the same reason.

I can undertand that you fault the delay in repair. But I seriously doubt there are many companies -- retail or otherwise -- that will trade you a brand new product for a defective one, especially on a three-year warranty. So a trade at the shop just seems highly unlikely.

In your favour, I can't understand why you received a defective piece after repair, if it was the same piece at all. No guarantee on warranty turnaround time, but I'd be heartbroken if I waited four weeks and got back something defective.

In any case, I hope you don't blame Kemper for this situation. Anything could have caused the screen to go bad. Understandably, this will prevent you from meeting your recording and gigging targets, but as you mentioned, sh*t happens. This kind of stuff is always a potential hazard with electronic equipment.

To be honest I haven't actually tried the Kemper transpose feature yet, maybe I should to get a good comparison. I already had the DT before the Pitch functions were added to the Kemper. I love the DT it tracks very well, I use it often instead of using a capo people are not aware of a difference in sound... they just wonder how I'm playing open chords at the nut end of the neck when they are on capo 5 !

I also use it alot in place of a secen string ie capo -5. I used to play seven string alot, but not so much now. It's nice to have the option to press a pedal and make your 6 string sound like a 7. The momentry swich on the DT is genius IMHO, I use it quite a bit, ie playing normal 6 string in concert pitch, but every now and then you can chuck a low B chord in there... mixes thinks up a bit...

I will try the Kemper function in the next few days and see how it compares.

Thanks for the inputsgh , javlin7. My interest in one of these devices has piqued. It would be very helpful if you do a thorough comparison of the DT versus the Kemper after A/Bing them for a while. I like the idea of freeing up a slot on my Kemper, but only if the solution is an analog pedal that works better.

So true, Lord knows how well it'll work. I'm thinking results must be similar to sending a programme change or CC# when you change patches, nothing more. Thinking of it solely from the perspective of adding another control option to the Kemper without having to modify design. Probably doesn't merit incorporation from the perspective of having to do too much work including it. Maybe the foot controller will give us a few more control options, I'd love a second midi output. ^^

Solutions are:
    1) Noise gate
    2) Input settings
    3) Stomp noise gates

Remember that excessive settings on any parameter could adversely affect sound. In this case, it could be unnatural decay, or sub-optimal sustain. Alternatively, maybe some EQ tweaking could get rid of some of the harsher, grittier frequencies.

I wouldn't buy the FCB now. Too close to KFC D-Day, I keep thinking, waiting and watching.

Select a patch. Navigate to the system options for midi output. Set output channel to the same channel the Kemper is listening on. Set PC# (programme change) number. Save patch.

Now on the Kemper. Navigate to the patch you want to recall. Go to system menu and in the option for assigning midi PC# number, scroll the soft knob below till you've selected the same PC# that you output from your GT-100.

I think Ingolf is right though. You need to read the manual to be able to find the correct system menus and things. Saying this as a Boss GT-8 user, there's a world of info in there.

Wow. I was just thinking about the possibility of a floorboard controller with external processing power for FX. I mean, this looper sounds like such a great idea. What if the memory for such a feature was built into the KFC? And with an ethernet controller connection, you could probably couple that processing power with the Kemper, like adding a second CPU. More FX slots, assignable anywhere within the existing 8 FX slots. The mind boggles, I tell you! That German man is planning something. The future!

The horror! The horror!

Think of it from the perspective automation for songs. You could sync up multiple devices. It's very similar to the idea of pressing a note on a keyboard and triggering multi-samples simultaneously.

While there's no denying there are already products with similar capability -- heck, why not use another midi board with midi out, or maybe modify the Kemper to have another midi output/through -- I was thinking of it from a performance perspective. As a guitarist, I want to negate as much superfluous activity or even thinking when I'm playing, so something like this would simplify my workflow. Pull up tone, pull up drum loop, pull up keyboard accompaniment, etc. Less tap-dancing, everything done from a single floorboard. You can't do something like this from most of the floorboard devices I've seen, I mean, you'd want to dedicate the existing midi input and output on the Kemper to sending and receiving information, and I don't know if many of those boards have a second midi output.

It would be crazy to have a system like that in a bar and might even be a throwback to the days of oversized refrigerators being toted around. Except you'd be carting around keyboard and drum modules. It just gets my mind thinking how we could get one more control option with the Kemper, given that there are so many unused 1/4"s on the back of mine.

If you can go for the power amp, do so. As mentioned, it can be turned off like a separate section. I would have if I had the money when it came out, probably is more expensive now. I think it's great that there are after market solutions like the Camplifier, but wish that Kemper didn't have such issues with respect to electronics regulations and could make a separate power amp available for user installation. I don't see the difference if it's the OMC, but European laws prove otherwise.

Still, I like the idea of going direct to PA on stage, irrespective of whether I have a cab available. Seems unnecessary to mike up a cabinet when using a Kemper and I would like to know the sound that the audience is hearing. Of course, there's nothing like the feeling of air moving on stage, but some people here seem to be able to achieve similar results with something like a Yamaha DXR12 monitor., If I don't have a set up like that available, I could always tote my monitors and my Tech 21 "FRFR" power cabinet, which goes plenty loud. I don't even dial it above 2 on a scale of 10 when playing at home.