Posts by nightlight

Just trying to be funny, Michael, as usual with no luck :thumbup: I tried to allude to the paranoid conspiracy theories floating aboat, where somebody always "/.../ are reading our comments." A tin foil hat is believed to help preventing extra-terrestrial beings listening in on our thoughts ;)

I'll do a better job next time :)

For the record, I thought that was hilarious. Like the movie "Signs". :thumbup:

I think the metal men here should do a fully nude hear & aid....

Might not be a good idea. I'm so hideously deformed, there's likely to be a stampede for the exit. People could die. ;(

I'm old (63) But I love metal. But admit the lack of melody and unintelligible lyrics don't really work for me.

I'm a bit old school myself. I like a lot of the 80s stuff, some of the 90s, maybe a bit of 2000s. But in each new decade. I like less of the contemporary music. Perhaps I'm getting old. But at the same time, I think the stuff I assimilated from the previous years is the stuff that is remembered today, whereas so much of the metal in recent years is just trend stuff. Look at nu-metal, burnt out in a few years. Of course, now Slipknot and Korn are making comebacks. But it's not as big as it was and lacks any kind of mass appeal

Well, being a metal musician in pretty much the deepest underground genre of metal (brutal death metal/slam death metal) I´ll say that metal itself will never die. It just won´t - there are too many dedicated people in there (especially in the smaller subgenres) to let it die - however metal was a trend for a few years now and now it isn´t anymore so yeah. it will be out of the mainstream for a few years but it´ll be "big" again - until then we smaller-genre-guys will still have the same amount of fun :)

I salute you guys. Keep those skull and crossbone flags flying high. And keep pushing the envelope, all we need is some new genre that rules them all and in the darkness binds them :thumbup:

Hi nightlight, the setting of my Clean Sense parameter is at 6,4 - my guitar has "normal" passive pickups, I have never seen the red light flashing (but I don´t look often at it...).
    This are just numbers, your ears should be the master, when the setting is wright, you can hear that it sounds very good and feel the perfect playability, so give a f*** the LED colour. :thumbup:

You know how it is when we get new toys. Look at them, drool over them, dust them now and then. I saw what I thought was the red light, except maybe it was the yellow light, but Mr CK says a red light is bad. And it was such a new and shiney device. I just had to turn it down :thumbup:

Cleans sense 6.4!!!!!! I can't get mine anywhere near that. What guitar are you using mines a PRS Navarro modal not the SE one and my clean sense is 0.8 without it hitting the red

After playing it at 0 for a day or so, I yesterday hiked it to 1.9 and the difference is evident. If I go beyond that, I see a "solid" red light, as opposed to reddish-looking yellow light, which might just be an orange light. Doing so solved the volume issue that I mentioned in your other thread :thumbup:

There are puh-lenty of awesome effects already in there. I got my Kemper last week and I'm still trying to cope with the sheer amount of tonal options available. Quality is also top notch, but like everyone else here says:

"We want moar"

+1. I 'd like more delay and reverb options too, reverse for both would be killer.

I think I've nailed my concern about clean and distorterd profiles being of different volumes. Adjusted my clean sense yesterday and tweaked the distorted sense too. Audio bliss.

Getting input sensitivity right at the start is one of the most important things for Kemper users to get right. If you don't enter the appropriate setting, it will make your profiles sound less than accurate and not up to the mark in terms of your high expectations.

What's more, I find that setting the clean sense wrong can impact the "feel" of playing the Kemper. Your guitar becomes that much more lively and it becomes so much easier to play when the input sensitivity is appropriate.

Difficult to explain, after some of the guys pointed me in the right direction, I found raising my clean sense and lowering my distorted sense fit my tonal sensibilities perfectly.

Any dead spots on the neck? Any fret buzz? That might be the culprit.

But as DonPetersen said, audio clips please, it'll really help explain what you're talking about.

I feel ridiculous. Been having so much trouble with getting my input settings right. The most noob issue anyone could have with the Kemper. I'm guessing.

Yet it's likely to be the first problem faced by anyone new to the Kemper. I got my unit in the middle of this week and out of the box I had a superb experience.

Then came my first update and things became confusing. I was convinced that the input settings had added gain to my signal. The reason? My input LED was clipping.

I subsequently lowered my clean sense, as any good user should in such a situation. Right? Apparently wrong. The feel went right out of the Kemper. It became like any modelling unit in terms of the playability, though the sound was better than what I've been used to.

Today, I was screwing (believe me, the right word) with the input settings and raised clean sense. And man, what a difference it makes to playability, feels so lively and bouncy. But my LED was clipping...

Or was it? I think a lot of the confusion stems from the difference between yellow and red. Green is easy to understand, but when the yellow flashes, I thought it looked a bit red :cursing:

But when red flashes, it looks really red :cursing:

So is it clipping super fast and therefore I see a little red in my yellow (orange)? Or does a red clip LED only count when you see it as clearly as a OD/Distortion LED? :cursing:

Or maybe I'm just colour blind X(:thumbdown:

I must have missed that bit of information, thanks, Why I mentioned the option to have the "buggy" (quote unquote) input settings is because I noticed we could store multiple input settings and access them by turning the browse knob. So it would be quite simple to access the lower gain input settings. Not necessary if we just need to reduce our distorted sense settings by 2.

I've been trying to raise my clean sense so that I can bring my clean profiles to the same volume as the distorted ones, but find I have to have to set it flat in order to avoid clipping.

Could just be the heavy strings I'm using, too much bass and they bounce around like crazy. Only 5 days of Kemper time, so apologies for all the fuss, just want to make sure I get it set up right at the start ^^

Thank you, waraba! I love the organic tone of the Kemper, you're right there are too many layers in there, I'll be more judicious in future.

I'm so bad with recording technology, that the Kemper really seems like an awesome way for at least a part of my idea to be conveyed. If I had some skills though, I'd mix up some modern metal tones with my old school sensibilities ^^

I used an Ibanez RG1820X with Wilde Bill Lawrence L500XL pickups. That's an awesome hint on what direction to go with reverb, the drums were programmed with Superior Drummer

hi nightlight,

check this little guide out. with the help of ingolf i could write this and "convince" my cubase to reamp finally. 8o

i have to improve on this, because you can even add the kemper effects when choosing a stereo track in Qbase
    and changing the output to "stereo master". hope this helps.

Thank you so much, Geraldo7. Because of that helpful guide, I found the missing ingredient, i.e. changing SPDIF output mode to stack instead of guitar analog.

I guess it was just routing the dry signal back into my DAW. :wacko:

The wiki needs a small update with respect to the method for changing the Kemper input to SPDIF. As of the latest firmware, there is no button that activates SPDIF, you have to turn the browse knob after clicking input. I've made the appropriate change to the document (the highlighted section), would be good if one of the wikpa gurus amends the reamping section. :thumbup:

EDIT: Just realised you plan to update the document yourself! Excellent piece of information there, thanks again!

ReAmping with S/PDIF

You will need two coax. S/PDIF cables (RCA phone connectors) and – of course – an audio adapter which has coax. S/PDIF Input and Output.
    Connect the first cable from the Kemper Profiler's S/PDIF Out to your audio adapter's S/PDIF In. Connect the second cable from your audio adapter's S/PDIF Out to Kemper Profiler's S/PDIF In. Please note that the Profiler must be S/PDIF Master! You have to syncronize your audio adapter to its S/PDIF Input and the sample rate has to be set to 44.1kHz.
    Set your Profiler's S/PDIF Output to GIT/STACK in the OUTPUT/MASTER menu. This way you will record one mono track dry and one mono track with amp tone.
    Set up 2 mono tracks for recording in your DAW, configure and select the appropriate inputs and different routings! It is important that you choose “channel 3” for instance for one mono track and “channel 4” for another one. Read up in the manual of your soundcard which inputs reflect the S/PDIF In, in the Saffire Pro it is 5 and 6, in the Roland Quad it is (strange, but true) 3-4 and 3-4(4).
    While you are playing the sound which suits you, your style and the song best: Record. Now you have recorded one wet track and one dry track.
    For the actual reamping you need to do as follows: you need to route the dry track out of your DAW via the S/PDIF Out (to the Profiler's S/PDIF In). Now do not forget to “activate” the profile sound you want by checking in the INPUT section of the Kemper Profiler whether the input is set to "S/PDIF”. If it is not (the default setting), turn the last soft knob to select S/PDIF as the input. After this is done, hit exit and turn the browse knob. Choose a sound. Listen to the sound by monitoring your Kemper Profiler. (You cannot add effects here for the recording, this has to be done afterwards in your DAW).
    When you decided for a reamp constellation, set up a new track in your DAW for recording. In the Kemper Profiler “OUTPUT section” you choose this time STACK for SPDIF out as you don't want to record another dry track again. Rewind, play, record. You now have actually recorded your first reamped track!

There are some interesting views in this thread, which run contrary to a lot of the stuff I've been hearing. For one, as far as I know, metal does not sell and as such can be considered a dying genre. Labels are unable to keep their doors open, there's just that little interest in metal.

Take a look at sites like talkbass and drummerworld, for example. There are more non-metalheads than dudes that like metal. And if you check out the forum members, most of them are really looking to get paid to play, which is why they stay away from metal. They're all looking for crowd-friendly music that doesn't involve slam-dancing.

Metal is still a sizeable sub-culture. But it has diminished considerably since it's hey-day. In fact, the biggest bands at the pinnacle of metal are still the biggest bands nowadays and attract the most crowds. Most new metal bands, on the other hand, struggle for years to make a break and some don't ever make it. For example, I was watching a video about Lamb of God, a band with a sizeable following I imagine, and they were talking about going on tour and playing in small venues across America. Those guys really bust their butts making a living as musicians, I respect them for that. Not everyone can be Metallica size, you know?

As far as metalheads posting clips, we are most definitely the guys on the bleeding edge of musical technology, so thumbs up to you guys that are brave enough to do so. It's always good to hear new sounds and ideas. Metal is not dead, so that's a plus, we're just in hibernation. What we need is the second coming and metal will never go away again.

Thought I'd post a clip here. This is a song I wrote for you Kemper-maniacs out there, dedicated to that wonderful inventor Mr CK! :thumbup:

https://soundcloud.com/the-twilight-escape/terror-tunes

I hope you enjoy the concept, it's like no metal on earth. Yet mysteriously vintage. My own brand 8o

I used the stock profiles and look forward to refining in future mainly by improving my mixing skills, but also in checking out the best of sounds recommended by all of you. ^^