Posts by nightlight

How about you just add a specific prefix to categorise amps. For example, say "M Randall" "M Mesa", "M Marshall" for metal amps, "C Fender", "C Vox", "C XYZ" for clean and so on. Then you could just do an alphabetic sort and pull up the amps you need for the situation 8o

Tempted to post this on gearslutz.com and watch the sparks fly 8o

Good enough for me, Mr CK!

I think someone warned me that the FX loop doesn't bypass the amplifier's preamp section in series 2 of the amplifier. Series 1 got really good reviews from users here that paired it with the Kemper.

Hey man, first off, check that you haven't disabled the spdif input and output options. Click on the fireface settings tab (the little fire icon) and check that you have analog 1-8 and SPDIF active. It should show up as spdif input or input 11 and 12.

In the same Fireface settings tab, you'll find a tab for clock source. Set it to SPDIF and it should lock on to the Kemper signal. You don't need to do anything with Samplitude, since it's only a few devices that are being synchronised.

Another way to implement the second part of this suggestion without so much toe-tapping would be to have a means of assigning CC# to various parameters within an effect and then controlling them with an expression pedal. I used to be able to do this with my old GT-8 and you could assign virtually any parameter to a footswitch or the expression pedal, even multiple parameters for up to eight assigns in a single patch.

How about the opposite?
    Only scale notes on each fret?
    You would not play wrong notes and don't spread your fingers too much in a solo ...

Sort of like a step filter, Mr CK? I'd say too gimmicky, but it might create a generation of shred "experts" :thumbup:

Oh, is the Axe FX pegged to 48 kHz?

There's a lot of debate in the music industry about the merits of higher sampling rates like 192 kHz. Some people says more data is captured. Others debunk the theory and say there's no improvement whatsoever. Some even debate on the merits of larger audio file size versus smaller.

... I get the impression that the higher the gain goes in a profile, the more it looses its unique tone and starts to sound like other high gain profiles (regardless of amp profiled)...

This sounds characteristic of most over-distorted signals, a mistake I have continuously made while trying to programme MFXes or use stompboxes. The signal loses definition and after a point, it would be easy to confuse one amp for another by virtue of that loss of clarity in a highly distorted signal.

One bit of advise people would give me is that less is more as far as gain is concerned. A lot of the low end and chug that you get in a metal song is not the guitar, but the bass, which occupies the low end. As guitarists, we need to focus on giving the high end to the low end, in a manner of speaking ^^

Sure there are, if you disconnect the sync source. You'll have to switch the audio interface's sync to internal or another external source.

Just that! I used to use the SPDIF output from my GT8 processor for recording and it was also limited to 44.1 khz sampling rate, 24 bit.

When I was done recording though, I would often just disconnect the SPDIF and my Fireface would go back to using its internal clock.

Didn't seem to run into any problems, but then again, my guitar recordings have always been shite. Hoping the KPA changes that!

In connection with the thread topic, are there potential synchronisation problems if one is to record the Kemper audio using SPDIF with the 44.1 khz, 24-bit setting and then record other instruments (drums, vocals, etc) by disconnecting the Kemper and using another clock source, naturally at the same sampling rate (44.1 khz)?

Thanks for the offer, but I already ordered the Tech 21.

It arrived today. It's great. Cab sims stays on as it's fairly flat, which I think is great as the excellent cabs sound great through it.

Love it.

Glad to hear you like it, horribleman! Do post a detailed review of your experience with the Kemper + Tech 21 combo, as I'm interested in pairing my Power Engine with the KPA when I get one.

Hannes_ITS, if you've already got them, then use them! People can always recommend brands A, B and C and talk down brands X, Y and Z, but one thing I've learnt from my musical pursuits, it's not what gear you own, it's how you use it! And when you can make space in your budget later, upgrade! Life's too short to hate gear we own! 8o

It's excellent to hear such a lot of good stuff being said about user profiles. Looks like there's a lot to browse through, tweak and fine tune. Maybe too many!

I suppose my perception has been a bit coloured by the thought of having multiple tube amps in a single box. While I'm not afraid to experiment, what I would like is to have accurate profiles of actual amplifiers that I could use in different settings.

You want crystal clears? Massive distortion? Subtle crunch? I am well attuned to the concept of taking a profile and tweaking it to "perfection", but I really want to be able to think like a recording engineer in my dinky home studio.

And so it becomes: "What amplifier for what situation?"

Browse, select, tweak to fit mix, play. Simple. In that sense, a handful of profiles might be well-suited to me and would occupy the bulk of my practice and playing time. But I would like to play with different amps from time to time, variety being the spice of life!

Plus, I get the feeling that tweaking works differently based on the original sound of the profiled amplifier. As such a wider palette of "base sounds" could offer that many more unique sound creation possibilities.

"Over time, we will give you access to a mind-blowing variety of the highest quality profiles and rigs. Those and other goodies can be downloaded from our website here: http://www.kemperamps.com/start/"

This paragraph in the Kemper Profiling Amplifier Basic Manual always gets me super excited and I don't even have a Kemper YET.

Not having large sums of disposable income, or even small sums, it would be a little difficult for me to invest in professional profiles created for profit and advertised heavily on this site, at least not any time in the near future. In such a situation, I will have to rely on the kindness and technical skills of the nice people (thumbs up guys!) that are willing to do so much hard work and share their amp mojo for free.

While some of the free profiles on the Kemper are no doubt used, I get the feeling they aren't as highly valued as the paid-for separately stuff. So when Mr CK says in the manual they're going to give users more awesomeness in future, it gets me all excited (we've come full circle in this thread :thumbup: )

What do you guys think? Let's put together a list of amps that we'd like the good folks at Kemper to include whenever this absolutely AWESOME feature they're talking about comes through!

I have a confession/request, having never owned a tube amplifier in my life. Give us anything. Just make it loud, OK? :thumbup: