Posts by nightlight

Hey, my Kemper unit is going on eight years and two of the pots have started behaving erratically.

The problem has been there for a long time, and they are still working, but the values jump from place to place and sometimes they move backwards instead of the direction I am turning the pots in.

Would a spray of deoxit on the pots work to fix this problem? Or do I have to send the unit for a non-warranty repair?

Hoping someone from Kemper, such as Kemper Support #1, Burkhard or DonPetersen can give me some advice on whether I should or shouldn't try deoxit.

I can make a video if that helps to demonstrate the problem. As mentioned, the pots are working, they are just moving erratically.

We can rule out the "more amps" argument with the Kemper, since it basically captures most amps. However, there are a few that can't be captured. I'd also go so far as to say that profiling, while accurate, could definitely be further improved upon, especially when it comes to high gain amps. It always seems that there's some "magic" going on in the low mid area that makes the Kemper's EQ curve virtually indistinguishable from the real amp, but when you actually play the real tube amp, you'll notice that there's more girth or oomph to the low mids that's missing from the Kemper.

When we come down to IOs, I think I'd also like to see more signal chain possibilities as well. It would be great to have the ability to have more parallel path processing, for example, and the ability to route this signal to an independent output.

As far as FX, I think the sky is the limit. After all, which of us could have thought up something like morphing. In that respect, I'd like the ability to automate things like morphing, for example sweeping through fixed, or even random settings in an effect, sort of like a phaser, with the ability to finetune the oscillation as a triangle or a square wave, for example.

It just seems that the more options at our disposal, the more you could head towards an idealised tone or sound in your head. Would you use all of them? Maybe not, but it just takes one or two sounds like that to make your music stand out.

We've discussed some of those features before on these forums! For example, in-built synths.

Listen to this example from the Axe FX, for example:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Or this one, go to about 11 minutes:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This stuff should be easy as chips for Mr CK, having experience with the Virus synthesizers.

Just goes to show there is so much to do than play guitar with a... guitar!

Amen to that! Still, I'm curious to know when they'll come out with a Kemper 2. We're nearing 10 years now and in that regard, everyone else seems to be making more progress (even if that involves coming out with new hardware). So what will the Kemper do to differentiate itself from the competitors?

With the Quad Cortex, I'm reading a lot of people who also own Kempers say it does a better job at the captures, as well as other people who say it doesn't match up. Haven't tried a unit, and don't feel the need to till they upgrade its features some more.

In the case of the Axe FX, I'm quite impressed by the feature set and the models. In a mix or a live setting, I don't think anyone would be able to distinguish it from the Kemper and they seem to be constantly refining the models further and further so as to obviate the old claim that it's difficult to dial in.

The Helix is the unit I'm least interested in, because I never found the tone to be something revolutionary, but I'm pretty sure Line 6 has a new flagship coming out in the next year or two. If they do, it's likely to be leaps and bounds over what they've previously done.

I agree. Longevity of a device is important. That's one reason I like the Kemper, I've had one for about 8 years, and it is still being developed.

I think the thing to notice is that the original Axe FXII came out in 2011. The Axe FX III came out in 2018. The way I see it, I have about another 5 years before the current hardware is phased out. Sure, they came out with various iterations, but if you look at it, the processing power was never increased, all they did were some improvements to storage and inputs.

In that sense, however, you see that the Kemper has been out for about nine years now, going on ten. In that regard, I honestly think the device has matured beautifully, with more features being added all the time.

But if you look at the video I posted, you'll see that there are things that are unlikely to be achieved with the current hardware. The competition has also been improving its tones and features.

That kind of is what the thread is about, the fact that while Kemper Amps hasn't been standing still, the competitors are no longer as far behind as we all thought they were.

For example, check this out:

I think you can do it with the Kemper, but it's the first time I'm seeing something like it done. That's what I find so refreshing, just the idea that the device is meant for tweaking, as opposed to the set and forget modus operandi for the Kemper.

Here's a concrete example of a company like Fractal taking things up a notch. I couldn't ever have dreamed this kind of stuff was possible. But it is. This is a pitch follower FX.

I'd really like something like this for the Kemper. It ties in to an older feature request for a Boss OC-3 type effect, where we would affect just a few strings.

Here's a concrete example of a company like Fractal taking things up a notch. I couldn't ever have dreamed this kind of stuff was possible. But it is.

What makes you think there are no in between positions? Apart from the fact that it's audible, I've had it confirmed elsewhere on this forum, and from customer support that there are - the whole basis for this feature request is based on this fact... The knobs do not move discretely between the displayed values, but are effectively continuous (OK, technically nothing in the digital domain is completely continuous, but to all intents and purposes...). If in doubt, take a value like definition which is very noticeable (or one of the stack eq controls - I find these also to be very sensitive, and easy to hear small changes) - turn the knob very slowly from e.g. 7.3 until it just changes to 7.2. Save profile. Duplicate. Then turn the same knob from 7.1 until it just changes to 7.2. A/B the two profiles - there will be an audible difference.

Don't mean to sound combative, but if this is something you didn't realise about the Kemper, you may find it useful! I also thought the knobs were discrete (i.e. move in "steps" as you put it) when I first got my Kemper - and in a way I wish they were!! Less temptation to fiddle around fine tuning the "perfect" sound... But then, as said above, I have found it's worth doing in many cases, so really, this level of precision is very useful. Hence why I'm suggesting it would be good to be able to visually reference another decimal place in order to more quickly choose a more precise setting if desired.

If that's the case, I'd want a second decimal position too. Can any of the Kemper team confirm this? Mr ckemper ? DonPetersen ?

I'll have to retract my earlier statement. Feature request gets a thumbs up from me. :thumbup:

I just realized that I also bought the Fryette PS-100 earlier this year... Wow, I have spent a lot of money this year. Last year I bought two high end Telecasters...

Haha, yeah, that is a tonne of money. I'm going to take it easy for the rest of the year probably. Really going to enjoy this new setup I've got. Make some profiles as well to practice my micing technique and work on my mixing.

Not sure what precisely you mean by Kemper architecture, but I don't see why the Rig Manager software couldn't display an extra decimal place - presumably at the moment it is coded to display only one, but it's certainly "aware" of more than this (if you hold down shift key and drag on screen knobs with mouse, or slowly turn the Kemper's physical knobs, you are selecting values inbetween the displayed ones, e.g. in between 7.1 and 7.2 etc) - I'd imagine it would just a matter of changing the code to allow an extra decimal place to be shown, and as I suggested, could just be the value that's displayed in the lower left corner on RM that has the extra decimal place - just so you have a reference somewhere in case you do find it beneficial to fine tune beyond the one decimal place increments currently shown (and not have to fish around "blindly" in order to do so!)

As for "You might actually get better resultstweaking another parameter when you find you have come to an optimum setting for one" - I think you've misunderstood something here, as I'm definitely not suggesting fine tuning just one parameter to the nth degree, while ignoring the others! On a profile I intend to use a lot, I'll try adjusting every single parameter available in amp/cab/eq sections - some may end up being left at zero, but most end up moved somewhere from default, even if only a little - all the parameters IMO are very well chosen/implemented, and work very well together improve the tone/feel of a profile. I'd also say the order in which they're set is quite important too, but that's a whole other discussion!

By architecture, I mean you should think of a knob on the Kemper as having steps, rather than being able to set it in between positions. I don't think you are doing what you think you are when you move your Kemper knobs just a bit. There are no in between positions, i.e. you are just on 7.1 or 7.2, there is no in between those values.

As far as tweaking, wasn't insinuating that you don't do that. What I meant was what I said above, i.e. there are no in between positions, so adjust elsewhere instead.

No new gear for me since the last guitar.

I find myself strangely contented with what I have. Enough guitars to cover all the bases, a Kemper that covers all the amps, all the studio hardware / software that I want and a keyboard that can do far more than I can. Every time I look at a magazine's gear reviews, all that goes through my head is, "Got that. Don't need that. Oh, mine's way better than that. Yep, got that, too..."

It's a life without GAS. Honestly, I just don't know what to do with myself.

I know the feeling, that's how I felt when I got my first Kemper. I only got my first tube amp three years after that though, and I honestly prefer the sound of playing an amp versus playing my Kemper through monitors. I later got a powered Kemper and then an unpowered Kemper and a power amp, and things were much better then.

Still, one of the best parts of having your own tube amps is profiling your own sounds. When I started, I barely knew what I was doing, but as time went by, I started getting better sounds than what I was getting with some of the commercial profiles I own.

Better is subjective, of course. I just like crafting my own tones as opposed to going with something that somebody created based on their own rig.

I was an early adopter of the Bose L1 seventeen years ago. Although you can use them as conventional PA speakers (FOH for small-medium venues), I loved the concept of a personal PA/backline where each player has their own and takes responsibility for their sound. I was tired of being the guitar player/sound guy (for everybody). Anyway, that's a long story. So how do I like it? Well enough to have bought the latest model and be happy with it. Unless you're doing sound for a band (FOH) or running stereo, you only need one.

I run the Bose L1 behind me (as intended), so I don't need monitors. Getting the in-ears was a huge departure for me. I got interested in the idea because of things I read here, in the Kemper community. People were talking about headphones and wireless headphones and tracking/recording. I have consumer headphones that are great for recreational listening - consuming music. They aren't for creating music. So I thought I'd get some good in-ears to have the experience.

I don't like wearing headphones when I'm playing guitar. I feel hemmed in, isolated. But I'm fine playing while using the in-ears, although I'm still getting used to singing with them. I hear things with the IE 400 Pro and IE 500 Pro I've never heard in headphones.

I've only been able to monitor my Kemper with regular headphones, a real cab or studio monitors. The L1 seemed really promising, in that it has excellent sound projection. Still, doesn't fit my requirement at the moment. How is the reproduction of profiles versus studio monitors?

As far as the IEMs, no idea what you mean by heading things that you've never heard before! Do you mean a more coherent mix?

Great doom metal band, Candlemass.