Posts by nightlight

Strangely enough, I've never owned in-ears. How do you like the Bose, I always wanted to invest in one of their systems, but couldn't justify it given how little I gig. Playing on monitors or through a cab for me, since it isn't critical for me at the moment. Want a pair though.

Alrighty, this is going to be my last post on this thread. At the rate it's going, you'd think I'm the only one on the forum who buys gear haw haw!

You'll love this though. I've been gassing for a Mark IIC+ for years now, but it's always been out of reach. A friend came out of the blue though and offered me some awesome gear that is finally going to help me achieve that dream.

1) Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp - This is basically a Mark 2C+ on one channel and a Mark III on the other.

2) Rectifier Stereo 2:100 Power Amp - This is basically the power section of a Dual or Triple Rectifier. Stereo amp with 100 watts on each side.

It's the marriage of a Mark series preamp and a Rectifier power amp that I've been dreaming of.

What would you call the pairing? A RectoMark? A Marrecto? :D

Seriously, pinch me, good dreams do come true.

Should be my last post on this thread for a while, I'm flat broke bwahahaha

Oi, where's all the stuff you guys bought this year, spit it out! :)

Hot dog, man! Thanks for the review!

Love the JVM. :love:

My only criticism of the amp is it can be quite noisy. Apart from that it's easily one of my all-time-fave amps, AJ.

Rockin' bro'. 8)

It is a pretty awesome amp. Has more gain on tap than any other amp I've tried. The amp is only noisy at ridiculous amounts of gain really, I'd never need that much, and usually use it on the orange mode for the high gain channels.

...just to suggest another alternative - maybe if the value shown at the bottom left of the Rig manger when adjusting any dial could show an extra decimal place (but please, not more than one extra ! :)) - then people could ignore this if they don't want to get too precise, but it's there for reference if you want. Surely couldn't be too hard to change the code to specify show value to two decimal places here instead of one?

Currently my workaround is: set all values using mouse in rig manager - you actually get two "positions" per decimal place (without holding down the shift key) so that is plenty for most purposes, and it's easy to set these quickly - then, once all set, if the profile is working as hoped, I'll go thru each value again, just nudging the kempers knobs left or right a few "notches" to see if it can sound even better. Totally understand if anyone thinks this is more fine tuning than needed, and with some parameters I'd agree - but anything that affects the tone can really make a difference - again, have compare before and after "fine tuning" the parameters, and the difference is enough to make it worthwhile, IMO, on profiles you're going to use a lot.

Would just be a lot less fiddly though if it was possible to see that extra decimal place somewhere! If the mouse-plus-shift-key caused the values to move discretely between second decimal places (e.g. 2.32 to 2.33) that would be ideal IMO - certainly any more precision that THIS is not useful!

I'm not sure the Kemper architecture would allow for this, but it is an interesting idea. I'm not sure that finetuning just one parameter is what you need though. You might actually get better results tweaking another parameter when you find you have come to an optimum setting for one.

Get the rack version if you need it to be bulletproof in a case. If you just plan on carrying it yourself and there's no risk of it getting crushed by other gear, go with the toaster.

I really can't see any Kemper???;)

But the Kemper is all in your head it seems?! Even if you are cheating your best friend with this slut in lacy lingerie - all you can think of is still Kemper!

Face it!! 8o:D:D:D

Lol, I assure you, the Kemper very much remains in the picture. I'm just trying to setup a situation where I can have a threesome :D

A traitor in your midst, lol! Not selling the Kemper, I just figured I need to delve into some other kinds of digital processors at this stage in my musical journey. Pretty good deal, all things considered. That's a Korg Rack Tuner above the Kemper, and a midi board and Gator case thrown in.

Long term plan is to use it with the Kemper in a wet-dry-wet setup.

Anyone with experience with one of these or an FM3, enlighten me.

I have another approach to shortlisting rigs. Yes, there are over 17,000, but what are you really looking for? Here are my tips:

1) If you have a particular sounds in mind, say a particular guitarist, find out what gear he used. Some of them have used different amps in different eras. Find out what those amps are and then do a specific search for those amps.

2) In case there are any amps that you have heard about and want to check out those amps, do a specific search. Alternatively, if there is an author whose profiles you have found good, narrow down the search to his profile.

3) Use the rating system to your advantage. Granted, it is not infallible, and I feel that some users abuse the system by not giving accurate ratings. Still, when you see a five-star profile with over 5 reviews, it is worth checking that profile out, and then going down the list.

4) Do a random search of the rig exchange from time to time. Just randomly scroll and then check out 10 different profiles that appear on the page. This will help you figure out if there are any amps or authors you weren't aware of and then allow you to do a refined search.

5) If you find that the rigs on the exchange are *almost* there, but you need a bit more from them, don't be afraid to tweak the amp and cab parameters. Remember, a profile was done on someone's rig in their environment, which may not be the same as yours. Just dive into those sections and experiment. The more you do it, the better you'll understand how they work.

6) When all else fails, look at commercial profiles that have been put out of a particular amp and rig. Before you do that, have a sample of the profiler's work on the rig exchange and see if you like them. Once purchased, be ready to tweak if you aren't getting optimum results.

Thought this might make for an interesting thread: what amps do you want profiled/more profiles of?

For me, I'm kind of looking for Mark IIC+ sounds, there are some good free ones, but I am looking for more. Jlt, I guess.

I always have a thing for Diezel amps, but I couldn't find anything as good as the one I profiled (no surprise there) of my VH4. But it would be good to have more.

VHT/Fryette Ultra Lead? I have a good one from GGD, but I. WANT. MORE!

One thing that I have become more familiar with in recent months is the fact that tweaking Kemper profiles can actually help you find a sound of your own that you might not get with a stock profile.

In that sense, I've had to eat my own words that it's better to get a profile that suits your needs than tweaking an existing one, at least partially.

I've found that you often get a great sound out of a profile you downloaded or purchased, but for best results, one should always spend some time after finding that "golden tone" to at least try to make it sound better. Some of the usual suspects are in the amp block, but it also pays to delve into the cab block. I'm not too fond of EQing with the base controls, but that often works really well in conjunction with an EQ block in the X slot.

That kind of makes the Kemper an awesome hybrid of profiler as well as modeller, which goes against the common refrain that they are two entirely different things.

Back on topic, though, I see some incredible possibilities with a modeller in conjunction with the Profiler.

1) For one, with something like the Helix or Axe FX, you could route the Kemper into a loop on two separate channels - left and right or something else. Then you could route different stompboxes and EQing to create two entirely distinct sounds on each channel, then loop it back to the Kemper for output through a stereo slot. Alternatively, you could have the Kemper in the loop of the device.

2) Another possibility that I'm kind of excited about is the idea of a WDW setup using the Kemper and another device. You don't really need to bother yourself with additional monitoring on the stage, just have one of the devices running into a cab. But route one of the devices in mono and the other device in stereo to the mixing board and have the audience enjoy all those spatial effects.

3) Single rig processed to hell. Make use of all the additional stomps and FX that you could obtain from something like the Helix or Axe or QC and run it in the loop of the Kemper. This might make for some completely interesting possibilities when it comes to EQing or compression or FX to get a killer tone.

4) Using something like automatic double tracking into the front of both devices for a huge sound. Again, this doesn't have to be monitored on stage, but you could definitely run it into the FOH for the effect to be heard by the audience.

All of these possibilities doesn't obviate the possibility of getting a second Kemper for the purpose, of course. Personally, I don't see the point of having two of the same device, just given my financial constraints, but it may be of interest to other users.

A lot depends on your interpretation of Wet and Dry. I noticed that you mentioned Clean and Dirty Which is effectively two different profiles. That can’t be done but there are a few ways to get a clean sound along with a dirty sound. However the clean sound will be a DI sound rather than an amp like clean.

However, if you want Dry on one and Delays/Reverb on an other (which most people see as Wet/Dry that is possible using the outputs that ST highlighted.

I actually think a good clean and dirty sound can be achieved.

1) Select your distorted profile.

2) Enable parallel path

3) Stick an acoustic simulator in slot A

4) Enable a loop in slot B. Route a cable from the direct output to your interface or amplifier

5) Route the cable from the master output or monitor output set to monitor mono to your amplifier.

6) Done!

Whatever people say about 100% or 99% or 95% accuracy, the Kemper sounds just fantastic to me, and I'm not concerned about whether another device can get a 2-3% more accurate sound. I feel the same way about flashier interfaces, dual amps or whatever. New players venturing into the marketspace certainly have more choice at the top tier, and the Kemper remains competitive with regular updates. Looking forward to OS9!

As for a new device, there's lots of suggestions for a smaller form-factor unit. I would certainly be interested in something like that, especially knowing that it won't become obsolete in 3 years.

Progress is progress though. It's a good time to be a guitarist, that's for sure.

I'm not pointing towards any deficiencies in the Kemper. Rather, I'm highlighting the fact that the competition is closing on, or has possibly even drawn level.

I might try to score a second hand Fractal or Helix in the coming days. Worth checking out the grass on the other side. I figure it would be cool to pair with my tube amps as an FX unit at least.

Fender and Gibson make the same guitars for the last 75-100 years, more or less. I see no rush to re-invent the wheel. I could theoretically make tube amp profiles with this thing for another 50 years. Now, if we re-invented music then maybe a new Kemper toy in the future.

Yet there are other builders that have emerged in the last 20-30 that have got stellar reputation, such as Suhr, Music Man, Mayones, Skervesen et al.

It isn't so much a case as reinventing the wheel as building a better mouse trap in a way. Again, the thread isn't to disparage the Kemper; it's about taking a good hard look at some of the competing options and what they are up to.

I sold my helix LT and Got a kemper stage (have a powered rack as main gigrig). The lt is really Nice but all these possibilities, fx, dual amp, dual cab things are overwhelming. I Just love the simple signal chain of the Kemper. Although fancy is Nice, it comes to roadworthy reliabilty and sound. These topics excell for the Kempers!

Raf

I think the Helix is a really roadworthy device, though I don't think it is at par with the Kemper like the Axe FX, for example. I've actually bought and sold three Kempers and now on my fourth, which is actually the same unit I bought in 2013.

I think that's a testament to how good the Kemper is, really. The fact that I couldn't see a better option on my radar.

That said, maybe I should have taken a walk on the wild side and tried some of the other modellers out there, like you tried the LT. It actually makes a lot of sense to me at this juncture, given what I've seen about the great tones you could get out of something as simpler as a free guitar VST, a power amp and a cabinet.

I've been more than a bit sceptical when it comes to other manufacturers touting their digital modellers/capture devices as an equal to the Kemper Profiler.

After all, I've been a Kemper user since 2013, and for the last few years, I've always been quite confident that the Kemper is the one to beat.

Looking at what's going on nowadays, there do seem to be some huge strides being made by other companies.

The Axe FX III, in particular, seems to be moving forward at a real rapid pace. They seem to have come out with a new firmware called Cygnus that improves the modelling. I know the usual argument that updates change the sound and the Kemper is still better, but some of the videos/clips are quite convincing.

Then we have the Quad Cortex, which though a bit underwhelming at launch, is likely to have more features coming up. The company has been putting out updates on the development of the device, and a lot of it looks promising. What really interests me was the fact that their "capture" technology didn't attract any lawsuits.

Then there's Line 6. Never know when they're going to put out their next generation processor, but I have a feeling that they are going to go big with the next one. With all the developments in tech over the years, it's entirely conceivable they pull a rabbit out of a hat. After all, they have been improving with every iteration of their flagship product.

Just quite an interesting time, I'm wondering when/whether Kemper is going to come out with a new machine. 2022/23 maybe? It'll be about 10 years of the Profiler then.

Here's a blind test video I saw that I found quite good. The user doesn't seem to get stuff sent to him for review and just buys them, which I thought makes it more credible. Possible he's on the forum too. I actually guessed which amp the Kemper was, can you?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Just goes to show that the quality of all the top end digital gear is now reaching a common level of tone.

Hi all, I was wondering if anybody has any experience/knowledge with the Apogee Symphony Desktop. In particular with regards to reamping via SPDIF. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

https://apogeedigital.com/products/symphony-desktop

You'd need to get a coaxial to optical converter in order to hook the Kemper up to it. There are some available, but they are very finicky, especially when it comes to converting the clock signal accurately. You can definitely use it for analog reamping.