Posts by Greg

Thanks for the direction Ingolf - I have knocked the amp compression down to zero - and that has helped ALOT!

Mine was on 4.5 too...but that was really noisy!

Need to do some experimenting to see how thats affected overall tone etc...but now I have lost that issue...I can start to build it up another way!

Cheers!
    Greg

Stay strong G-Force...there are alternatives that are cheaper that many people here love. The Yamaha DXR series and those new Headrush things - I am sure they are great, and having those options gives you some flexibility in price point in case you start getting too thin :)

I dont know what else you have...recording set-up/headphones etc...but with the CLR, it is great as it ticks so many boxes:

It is accurate (even) enough in frequency response, so that when you are tweaking your profiles, what you hear, really IS what is coming out of kemper.

Some people with excellent reference monitors in their studio may prefer to use that listening environment, but you can be confident that the sound you hear from your CLR is what is being sent to FOH. PA systems in venues will vary in quality, but you can be on stage feeling confident that you have sent them YOUR sound...how they then mess it up is our of your hands!! :)

It is loud enough to be your only backline if you play an absolute dirt hole that can't put anything other than vocals through the PA.

It can be used as a full PA (especially with 2 of them) for acoustic and singer type gigs.

It is light.

You can tell the sound guy to take all your guitars out of the venue provided monitors in front of you - that cleans things up massively. Even if they have a dedicated monitor engineer, just hearing bass/kick/bit of vocals from their monitors - and your tones from the CLR is amazing!

It also guarantees you have something to put your foot on when you are rocking.

Thats most important really.

Been reading through and discovered some great guitar work! Thanks everyone!

It's made me think of hearing a song you know, or a singer you know with a 'new band'...and asking yourself....'WHO ON EARTH IS PLAYING GUITAR???'

It made me think of Kevin MacMichael - he was a Canadian chap that played with Robert Plant on the Fate of Nations album...some incredibly tasteful but strong axe-work on that...well worth a listen!

I heard it when I was 12...and remember being worried my friends would find out I listened to it more than houses of the holy hehe

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Guitar is amazing.

It is the greatest thing...and the greatest gift we can give to others.

You expect great axe work from rock bands and metal bands...but sometimes it gets wrapped up in an utterly dog-sh*t song...that is undeserving of it's majesty...and occasionally by someone with a face like the bottom of a foot...like my example. (2 minutes 45).

What are your secret guitar pleasures/ little treasures you have found where there is great or 'just right' guitar work in a song you wouldn't expect it?

Truth be told...it's not a bad song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGwIaL0jOUg

Hi musicmad.

I meant noisy in the sense that I load that profile of that particular amplifier, and it has a higher than appreciated noise floor.

Not that the profiling process may have added some unexpected noise, to an otherwise quiet amp. I didn't profile that amp, just benefited from being given it for free on the RE.

Hence asking - does anyone know of another profile of a Morgan AC20 with a quieter noise floor.

It really isn't a technical discussion.

Cheers,
    Greg

Kemperites...

I have had some awesome advice off a few legendary forum members here in the last week or so...about electro-acoustic guitars through das kemper.

Tried some Martins and some Taylors today - but didn't have Kemper with me...so enjoyed/hated mixed results through an AER 60.

What electro's are you rocking with great results?

Cheers, Greg

Hi Paults - I have seen you are a big fan of the famous profile - as am I!

First of all - I FULLY appreciate I have been lucky enough to play the profile for free - and would STILL happily pay for it! So this is not a complaint of any sort - just looking for something that will work better for my set-up!

Its not something that a noise gate will help with as the noise floor is there when you let clean notes sustain - and as the note rings out - the noise floor is noticeable.

It is not audible when playing chords or loud things - but I play a lot of sparse stuff - where chords have to die out naturally - and thats when its a bit too noticeable for me.

Live - not a problem...but in the studio...a problem!!

I will ty the X slot though - as I have never even thought to put a noise gate there before! Cheers!!

Monitor upgrades give you some of the biggest wow moments you can have in making music!

And sometimes when you listen back to things you mixed a few years ago....the biggest wtf was I thinking moments too!! :)

Studio set-up is looking good mate!

Failure is always a possibility, but really... failure is just as much of an adventure, as success is. Thats how I justify my leap anyway.. New adventure = Good?

Just don't make yourself homeless in some delusion that you are the true next Bob Dylan or poppy Bieber hit machine after writing a few tunes... Obviously.. that could end badly :/

Yeah, totally agree!

My scary feeling is only from having my house repossessed.

Mortgage paid off when I am 45...and then I will do a big shit on my bosses desk and play guitar full-time! \M/

I played acoustic early, but then I saw the scene in Back to The Future where Michael J Fox sits in and plays Johnny B Goode at prom night! Everything about that scene was so awesome for my 14 year old self, the little tapping lick and him going nuts and kicking the amp at the end, ha!... I just had to be able to do that.

Hehe Jed - great stuff.

I was at my mum and dads a few nights ago - and I arrived to see them watching BTTF - just at that point the house band needed a stand in guitarist! The best line in that film is the 'guess you guys aint ready for this'....which has been my stock and well-used phrase every time I've had a crappy response from an audience :) Hehe - really made me smile reading what you wrote!

What made me play guitar? Well... I will answer very simply and directly, this is sad but true :

My father commited suicide when I was 7 years old and he left me his guitar , that's the only souvenir I got from him. So I started to play on that guitar at 7 years old...

Hugs my friend - music is better than a photo to keep a memory alive x

Such wonderful and varied replies so far!

I got thinking more and more about the various stages of inspiration that made me 'kick on' and focus on getting better on guitar...and I've realised hardly any of them have been about learning anything on guitar....but actually becoming a more complete guitar player...and the pursuit of girls.

Which means looking the part as well as being able to shred or shake that money making note!

WASP - WASP....made me want to wear tight pants...and point at girls in the crowd.

RATT - Out of the Cellar - made me want to wear tight pants and point at girls in the crowd - but with a little tigerskin print bandana hanging from my belt-loop.

YNGWIE - ANYTHING - made me realise that acting like you ALWAYS play in front of 100,000 people by refusing to acknowledge how disappointing the crowd is in front of you and throwing plectrums out into the audience and head banging like f*ck....even when you are only in front of 6 people and a stray cat....convinces those 6 people in front of you that you normally play in front of 100,000 and helps you sell 5 CDs and 3 t-shirts.

I am not a handsome man....but I have lived with and vigorously sexed one of Motely Crue's stage dancers for 3 years, was engaged to a girl who was on the front cover of Vogue magazine in Portugal and dated a professional maltese swimwear model for 2 years...because despite my man-boobs, poor fingering technique (on guitar) and my huge double/treble chin...I decided to live the lie that when I am on stage I am the greatest ever....it rubs off ya know!

Can't play stairway to heaven...but guitar has given me so so much :)

Was it a song you heard?

Was it the fact you were bad at sports and a bit spotty?

Or was it the hope that being ace on guitar would get you closer to leather-clad boobies? (Or cod pieces for the lady-kemper players out there).

For me it was Johnny Marr's jangles and layering...and before that...during....and after that revelation of majesty I have been metal through and through!

But weirdly it was HIM, and not Yngwie or Vai that made me say 'I want a guitar'.

If people ask what I would be if I didn't play guitar, then I say I would be a virgin.

What/who/when was your divine moment of inspiration? I have been very grateful to talk to many of you on technical matters - but still don't know how you ended up doing the greatest thing ever! GUITAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!