Posts by Greg

Hi Greenblob, I am an electrical engineer too!

Something must draw us uniquely brainy yet practical beefcake types to the green-box of rock!! :)

I am far too scared of failure to make music my proper career - so I am green-eyed with jealousy that you've made it work at such a young age!! Well done mate!

I took my first two lessons in 20 odd years of playing a few months ago...motivated me for a few weeks...no matter how tired from work I was..to pick up my guitar. Because I knew I had to 'demonstrate' my progress to the guitar teacher at the next lesson.

I guess I need to be inspired/challenged to prioritise playing and actually being productive on guitar...over googling how to be productive/get better on guitar!

Is there a problem with a new batch of remotes or something? I hardly ever come on to this part of the forum as I use a midi-moose...but have recently been thinking about buying a remote. This is putting me off a bit!

Yeah, one of my darkest moments...

Since then my #1 rule is: small instruments (guitars, saxophones, violins, etc) are the last to be put on the stage, and the first to be removed. Do not pull cables or other bulky items from the stage with a Gibson Les Paul in its stand, even if Slash says a broken headstock sounds better...

Oh and the saxophone got straightened and worked again. Though I don't know if that influences playability....

YES...best advice I ever received was to pack up the most precious things first...sometimes it doesn't mean the most expensive - but it always means the hardest to replace!

Great to hear you had a good gig mate - I bought Kemper about 3 weeks after they came out - and in that time sound engineers have changed from 'what the f*ck is that thing and why do you need XLRs for an amp?' to 'oh great a Kemper - you've just made my life a million times easier!

Where abouts in blighty are you?

2nd CL1B arrived this weekend to help mix down speed and today I tried my specular tempus in the loop of Kemper - first pedal I have ever used with Kemper - oh my word.

Specular Tempus sounded great through heads and a cab...but through Kemper and the clarity of a FRFR it is amazing.

The built in Kemper reverbs were muffling up all of my favourite profiles and I never actually realised - Kemper has just gone up a level!

Oh my god! That's amazing! Must have cost you a fortune! Looks like it's in good condition too, congratulations!

Recorded the bands first album 20 years ago...and with it being our first time in a 'proper' studio, we obviously worked everything out to the tiniest detail. I had this one solo, that I was so SURE was the right thing to play - definitely couldn't think of anything to improve it (that my playing would allow!) - but it sounded SO dull and boring when it was on tape. I was properly distraught! Then the engineer said do you use any effects? And I didn't - just a delay in the loop of the head - so he went to get his pedal board - he said try this whammy pedal - and I plugged it in and thought it sounded ridiculous - I was convinced to just try - and it added so much excitement in the mix. It is an amazing pedal and I love effects that make you play something a bit different. Apart from ring modulators - they can suck my balls :)

Hiya, you can use the 'studio eq' in one of the slots...once selected, scroll right using the page button, until you see the page that says 'low cut/ high cut' in the bottom left hand side, and then use the knobs directly below each frequency to select what you want to do :)

I haven't played any fractal products, so can only speak for the Kemper.

It is phenomenal live (a set up time of about 3 minutes, stereo FX and I know 80% what I will sound like FOH) and in the studio I know 100% of the time what I will sound like on record.

I can't ask for more really!

I'm sure that Fractal products offer the same kind of consistency so I am sure you can't go wrong with either - but what drew me to Kemper first of all (apart from being 10.3kg in a flight case - so it can be carry-on luggage for fly dates) is that I could profile MY gear and 'take it with me' in such a compact format.

Then I realised there were many people doing it much better than me - so I started using their profiles...it is just a fabulous bit of kit!

I have my hearing tested annually - my left ear is about 20% better than my right. I realised it is my right ear that has faced a full stack for 20 years...and my left ear must have been 'protected' by my big fat head!!

For the fizz, its only for very high gain VH4 profiles - I hear it in my Adam S3A monitors too. Clean tones I don't usually do anything. Not a problem when running a DI profile through a cabinet because of the natural roll off - but with monitors it grates on me!

My own VH4 profiles and the Sinmix VH4 (which are MUCH better than mine!) both have a lot of information at 10K with my guitars - but interestingly - my actual VH4 into OX with the same guitars does not...and top end sparkle is not something I would associate with a VH4 at all!

Usually running main outs to FOH - and when it isn't a mono system its sounds wonderful out front. I have a performance set up for stereo FOH (specific stereo effects) and if it is a mono system (like most) another performance set up for suitable mono effects. I run a single CLR if its a smaller stage or quick change gigs, or two to monitor in stereo if its somewhere that we will be having a proper soundcheck. One quality monitor is enough for me - though hearing your stuff in stereo is VERY inspiring - and leads to many many meandering wanders into improv! :)

I've never tried IEMs - I'd really like to as that would be stereo everywhere - but don't think they will be headbang proof. And I don't fancy wearing a sweatband or summat just to keep them in!

I wasn't bothering with the actual cab for years - I was MORE than happy with two monitors - but after unloading from a gig and turning up to the practice room with just Kemper, I just plugged into the 4x12 - a DI profile - and I'd really forgotten the last 20 years of awesome power from standing in front of a real cab!

It's totally impractical for live - but in rehearsal - it feels godlike!!

And tbh...unless you're touring 8 months a year....90% of being in a band is being in the rehearsal room innit!