Posts by Greg

I run two CLRs from the main outs and a 4x12 for pant flapping from the Kemper Poweramp - it is glorious.

But with big ping ponging delays my neck ends up like one of those jibba jabba toys wobbling about tracking where all the pings and pongs are coming from.

I only do this at the practice room - as its just too much gear for my drummer to unload for me live.

Deffo a proper investigation first before you despair!

I've had loose bits on the bridge and in the cavity that have caused unbelievable resonance on one guitar's low E string (never at the note you want haha).

Plug in, play clean - and then when you hear the resonance, start putting your finger on bits....the bridge, the block, springs etc (open up the cavity) until you track down the bit of the guitar that stops making the noise when you dampen it/press on with your finger.

Its a guitar issue, so don't worry about Kemper and good luck!

Greg

Hi,

I have had The OX for a bit now, and thought I would do a different preset with each video - rather than just my edited ones - just so you can see what it comes with :)

Sound in the room, then some bollocks, then a bounce from ProTools to get the sound that went in. That's the plan.

They will be on my YT channel - first one today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBG6WAbjyNY&feature=youtu.be

Don't worry...I still LOVE Colin the Kemper :)

Greg

I did think about selling my amps when I made my almost perfect 5 slot gig performance - clean, clean with FX, bit of grit and then rhythm...but for the life in me I cannot get my lead tone (the fifth slot) to sound as good as when I use an amp and external fx.

Solo tone is THE one thing that I am not in love with yet on Kemper...clean and dirty rhythm is honestly perfect to my tired ears...but I'll keep my amps for solo-ing if nothing else!

Ocean Way wouldn't be my first choice as an effect - its more to stop your instruments sounding small!

Slate Verb is excellent, and would be my first choice for a plug-in!

Ocean Way is the only UA plug that has ever made me want to go the external DSP route..I have a lot of outboard and none of it can properly replicate what I heard OW do the last time I was in a pro studio. It was VERY real! I think it gets overlooked a lot because it doesn't have a shimmer setting! But for a serious studio - without a huge live room it is pretty much perfect!

I have set all of sunday aside for OX noodling - so I will get a video made for you. I will try and answer the questions I myself had in the video, but if there anything you'd like me to explore then let me know?

I was (like everyone) having major concerns about the price - especially when Kemper has, and still does perform beautifully in the studio.

It seemed a bit ridiculous to buy something to fix a non-existent problem and I had in mind, if it was just JUST DIFFERENT, it would go back.

The two things that made me take a punt were:

1) I have been enjoying playing my tube amps at practice recently and I have fallen in love with them again.

2) I have a small studio - and even though guitarists enjoy the wampa-thunka-chugga space-ship noises when I profile their amps - I know they still want to play 'their amp'.

So this seemed a great way to achieve that and seriously, it sounds fantastic.

3. Yes, you are absolutely 100% guaranteed to sound better through the PA using kemper - than the other guitarists on the night that have mic'd up cabinets and going through the same PA...you are can profiles mic'd in great studios by great engineers...and not the sound guy that has limited access to good gear.

4. Kemper EXCELS clean through a FRFR.

Greg

Thanks for your advice mate, so I would have to A-B box between (guitar to iPad to kemper aux) or (guitar to kemper front input)...clunky...but that would still work I guess!

Though as the iRig is mono out...and my main outputs are panned hard left/right for stereo that would mean aux input would only output on one side?

Can a mono aux input be routed to stereo main out? I know it won't be 'stereo'...but can it be made to come out left and right so that the FOH doesn't become 'lopsided'?

I normally use the CLR as a wedge and its great, though last week the PA was so small at the venue/shithole that only vocals could go through it. I plonked the CLR on top of a cabinet that was from the previous band and set the EQ on the back to FF.

It sounded amazing!! Much better than when I had in on a pole in the rehearsal room set to FF...I don't know if it was some extra resonance from the unused cab below...or if it was just a bit lower down than usual or anything...but after the initial panic of realising I would have to use CLR as my only sound source I was dead happy and won't panic as much in future!! I'd deffo try that!

Definitely tweak your sounds in your rehearsal room at 'gig' volume and low and high cut the profiles - especially removing the top end as the CLR can reproduce higher frequencies than a traditional 4x12 that we are unused to hearing as guitarists. Then have a little EQ sweep around to find any whistling mid frequencies that need a little dip.

Also, and this isn't to be patronising my friend, remember that often your 'killer' tone when you play by yourself isn't good for sitting in a full band mix, so it can be really good to make additional tweaks when all of your band is there so you don't get lost in the mix. When we soundcheck - people snigger at what our bassist sounds like...and then giggle when I line check...he is muffly wompa flabbaflab and I am a wasp in a jar....then we all start and they presume the engineer has hit the 'make me a star' magic button on the mixer...its all a wonderful jigsaw :D