Posts by Greg

Pure cab off globally...but on '1' for high gain diezel type stuff, REALLY smooths things out - its amazing the difference between 1 and 0!

Space is for headphones only - and it is excellent at doing that job!

Yeah but you guys have to compare stereo with mono. All as i am saying is try stereo first (like the Gemini 2 cab)

check the pin pong and other effects, its a wide field , its the first time we have been able to get a 2X12 thats stereo and takes advantage of the new delays... wait till the reverbs come you will be happy that you play in stereo. Its also PUNCHY(er)

Ash

Yes mate...we have spoke about stereo a lot because its even better than girls. Fact.

So 2 of anything or a single stereo cab takes the whole thing to another level!

Thinking about it, and for how important the stereo field is for my playing, I reckon I'd rather have 2 cheap nasty things in stereo than 1 high quality FRFR...

I love recording other people playing acoustic.

I hate recording me playing acoustic...placement...record...listen...move....record...listen....scream.

But because a microphone is the best way to capture the most natural sound of an acoustic - it is annoyingly worth the pain.

I am in a fortunate position to have some good gear - but like most, my first microphone was a 57 (going into a line 6 UX2 -remember those?) - so if you currently only have a 57 then go for it - lots of decent sounding recordings have been made with it!

I would use a mic and pre of pretty much any quality over going direct for recording...though for convenience I continue to try every possible option/new tech development.

I've tried the popular profiles mentioned here, and I think they are better suited to live - as the sound is that of an electro-acoustic. They do sound great live or in rehearsal, and there are profiles out there of an ACUS One amp that I think are the most natural sounding.

I've tried the 3Sigma impulses in my DAW, (the martin and the taylor) and they sounded worse than going direct - and I was really disappointed - as I thought they might be brilliant and was looking forward to Kemperising them - like Pete Thorn did with the Helix.

It would be worth saving up to buy a quality microphone, or stereo pair - and then a quality preamp. You're going to be playing guitar all of your life (I hope!) and being able to get your home recordings as close to professional is really, REALLY exciting, rewarding and bloody expensive. If you can't sacrifice, save and then spend on your most favourite thing to do, what can you? If it is regular trips to Amsterdam, then fair enough.

I either use a large diagram condenser (U47 or Pearlman TM-1), or a pair of condensers (Little Blondies, MC930s or KM84s) in an XY or separated to body and neck if the player is percussive or wants more string articulation due to their style. They run into two Portico 2 channel strips and then out to stereo CL1Bs doing 0.5/1.0db compression on the loudest parts and then to a PCM92 for some beautification. It sounds lovely!

For going direct for quick recordings/demos then straight into a channel - take out the mud between 200-400Hz, cut the lows out around 80Hz and add a little shimmer with a shelf at 10KHz...all that can be done with an EQ plugin if needed.

You might be surprised at how good your guitar can sound going direct if you remove the frequencies you dont like - rather than trying to add something you think it needs.

Good luck, make sure you value and get more excited about the quality of the performance over the quality of the gear; and I would be happy to help if/when you do record something to give you some friendly advice :) Greg

Like any gear purchase - you will find differing opinions...though CLR is generally accepted as a high quality option.

Not the thump of a cabinet - which some FRFR solutions do try to build in (Gemini etc) - but CLR would be my recommendation.

One of the things that sets a good drummer apart from a great drummer is their ability to mix themselves - it could be a good exercise for them just to record themselves (good phone or handheld recorder thing) so they can think are they bashing the cymbals and is that whats drowning things out...etc

Just for context, I am in a metal band.

But to echo echo echo some of the above statements, its really useful to have quiet practices and then loud rehearsals when everything is in shape.

Its worth buying your drummer a cajon, and sitting in a living room with acoustics and no mics and just sussing out your beats and synchronisations and harmonies (if applicable) - and then taking it loud.

Every small practice room will be a challenge unless you have loads of bass beef on the walls - you can make improvements by not having your speaker cabinets in the corners and having them in the middle of walls...

Drummers do need to hit hard - certainly for heavier genres - but if that means collectively you are all turning up and it sounds nasty - then nobody is leaving rehearsal with a smile on their face - not even the drummer!

Cheers,

Greg

Hiya, sorry to hear that...post some samples when you get chance mate - lots of really helpful and knowledgeable folk here - and it might not be as bad as you think, it can be easy (and very understandable) to be critical of your own music when you invest so much emotional energy into it - and there is lots of fixes for audio that I'm sure will come your way!

Cheers,

Greg

UAD have found it good business to give their customers opportunity to demo their plugins - through a structured system - which then allows you to make an informed choice as to whether you purchase it or not. That was about it.

I am not a computer scientist doctor...but wouldn't have thought it too hard to have commercial rigs on rig manager, that can't be ported to your kemper hardware until you 'checkout' etc?

I wouldn't have thought you'd need any changes to kemper OS...just some redesign of the rig manager thingy - to only allow you to transfer commercial profiles to kemper - once you'd purchased them (the little padlock sign disappears etc).

Back to playing guitar!

Very good idea but the kemper team are in no way affiliated with commercial profilers. It would been different if the kemper team would sell profiles so this won't happen.

I don't see that as a barrier in so much as it is an opportunity.

I dont see it as much different to using eBay. We are not affiliated with eBay, but sell loads of stuff on there...then pay them a final percentage fee for doing so.

Someone please make sense of this:

Today I ordered a Big Sky, a Timeline, a Zuma, four Mogami-cables and a pull-out rack shelf.

I almost made it. Damnit!!! ? ?

Brilliant! Don't know what/or if you take back-up of some sort to a kemper gig...but if I know I have a dirt pedal and a delay I will manage! It's not dead money even if these reverbs are phenomenal!! And stuff is cool.

Both my PRS with 2 humbuckers are the same - I've made clean profiles and eq'd them so they sound a bit more like a neck pick-up so that I can just stay on my bridge...I agree though...it is weird!