Posts by mdeeRocks

Inspired by this thread I went out yesterday and got my self a red strat! (early birthday present from my wife). I never owned a strat in my life and I must admit I've been missing a lot. It's nothing fancy, just a Mexican Standard Stratocaster, it's really good quality and plays amazingly well though. I am used to humbucker guitars and this one is very different. I may even record some blues - it sounds great with various Marshall and Fender profiles. :)

I learnt my first riffs on kill'em all by Metallica with a charvel single HB guitar, but growing older keeps you closer to fender amps & single coils and away from heavy stuff I guess !!! "

Speak for yourself ;)
    I just got a 7 string with emgs and will get 8 string at some point for sure. Animals as leaders is imo the best thing which happened to guitar music in last 10 or more years. My favourite band at the moment is Wormed.
    Never had a Fender amp and I am not interested at all. I don't have a strat too :)
    P. S. I've learned my first riffs from early sabbath and led Zeppelin records. Gives my age away, I suppose.

I plug headphones into my sound interface, but I still use space effect, it's very good. Would be a shame to lose it if it would be only assigned to KPA headphone out (which I never use).

Seems to me like a "tone tired" case. I get this even from high end tube amps.
    People who play via headphones are more prone to this. I hate headphones for guitar playing)
    It has more to do with the cab than amp(for me at least). What I do is either change the he cab, or play something else, different guitar.
    I don't own Kemper for a year, but it's hard for me to imagine being tired of it - it doesn't have a tone signature on its own. Maybe try different set of monitors, headphones or power amp?

I'd not worry, it's probably years away and it won't sound any worse even if there is a new version. If anything, Kemper will become a household name, like Marshall or Fender., judging by track record of Virus.
    Personally I plan to keep all Kemper versions :)

No you don't really need to buy profiles right away, there are many excellent factory profiles. I have TAF pack I (got it with my Kemper as a deal) and only use one amp from it, because I don't feel the need to try more (I am pretty sure they sound great tho)

What lots of people can't understand is that Kemper won't play guitar for them, and TAF profiles don't come with the demo guitarist fingers included ;) Kemper is very reactive and dynamic amp (just like a good tube amp) and lots of profiles will sound very different depending on player ability (and guitar to some extend).

I remember Rob Chappers video about the Kemper on youtube and he mentioned how the Kemper seemed to "rectify" a shortcoming of the original amp.

I can confirm that, I have Carrera which is amazing amplifier (5 watt at price almost as much as Kemper, they are not being made anymore too), but it can be very fussy amp as well. I'd not exactly say Kemper rectifies a shortcoming of the amp (I sort of like the character) , but it improves consistency (I have profiled it)
    Using the same example (Cornford Carrera), I must say that profile linking /merging would be very welcome. The amp has so many sweet spots that it needs probably 50+ profiles to capture all good sounds.

As someone who doesn't know the Kemper as well as say a unit like the Axe, the question does arise to me at least, of how IRs are differentiated from a profile, as a mic is picking up a full signal chain, and how the taper of knobs on the kemper compare to the real unit.

From player point of view.

I don't think cabs are IRs (you can convert IRs to cabs tho). Other than that, I don't really know, it's sort of sorcery (and probably patented), but it works well, it really does. You would have to try for yourself.

Knobs don't work like on real amp counterpart. It's more like having a very good generic tone stack/EQ. Except gain, which, well just adds gain and have huge range. Is this good? Yes and no, for some amps it works great, for some (quite rare) it doesn't, mostly because that particular amp has (in real version) sophisticated tone stack which affects feel, drive etc. Now, if we would look at it in negative way, some may say that most tube amps have this "sophisticated" tone stack. But, as I said before, personally I don't think it's the case. I have a couple profiles of Marshalls and Fenders which are profiled at 30+ settings and I could (like poster above me) delete most of them because tone stack would get me there without problems.

Tweakability is there if you want it and it can alter amp sound in very radical way (there is tube bias, clarity, pick attack, etc.. have a look in the manual). The difference between Kemper and Axe is that you start from pre-baked amp model (axe) or profiled amp sound (Kemper). My opinion is that it's easier and quicker to start from a profiled amp sound, because in many cases there will be no tweaks needed (I am saying this as a player, I am not a tweaker) and you can always load up different "amp model" - a profile. Having said that, many Axe presets are just right as well.

I suppose all these debates what is better come from people who feel the need to justify their purchases and cork sniffers who can't play and just mess around with gear endlessly :). In reality, both units are great and top of the game.