Posts by mdeeRocks

As someone who doesn't know the Kemper as well as say a unit like the Axe, the question does arise to me at least, of how IRs are differentiated from a profile, as a mic is picking up a full signal chain, and how the taper of knobs on the kemper compare to the real unit.

From player point of view.

I don't think cabs are IRs (you can convert IRs to cabs tho). Other than that, I don't really know, it's sort of sorcery (and probably patented), but it works well, it really does. You would have to try for yourself.

Knobs don't work like on real amp counterpart. It's more like having a very good generic tone stack/EQ. Except gain, which, well just adds gain and have huge range. Is this good? Yes and no, for some amps it works great, for some (quite rare) it doesn't, mostly because that particular amp has (in real version) sophisticated tone stack which affects feel, drive etc. Now, if we would look at it in negative way, some may say that most tube amps have this "sophisticated" tone stack. But, as I said before, personally I don't think it's the case. I have a couple profiles of Marshalls and Fenders which are profiled at 30+ settings and I could (like poster above me) delete most of them because tone stack would get me there without problems.

Tweakability is there if you want it and it can alter amp sound in very radical way (there is tube bias, clarity, pick attack, etc.. have a look in the manual). The difference between Kemper and Axe is that you start from pre-baked amp model (axe) or profiled amp sound (Kemper). My opinion is that it's easier and quicker to start from a profiled amp sound, because in many cases there will be no tweaks needed (I am saying this as a player, I am not a tweaker) and you can always load up different "amp model" - a profile. Having said that, many Axe presets are just right as well.

I suppose all these debates what is better come from people who feel the need to justify their purchases and cork sniffers who can't play and just mess around with gear endlessly :). In reality, both units are great and top of the game.

I don't think we really need to worry about what the Axe-FX users are saying, Mr CK. There's just so much more to a great product than attacking the competition.

And by your congenial and approachable demeanour (in the German "I'm so serious" way, hahaha *clap clap* :thumbup: ), I think you know this too! :thumbup:

I had brought this up in another thread, on the tweakability of the profiled sounds on the Kemper. Judging by mdeeRocks response here, the simple explanation for the reason why users don't really get caught up in the deep editing parameters is they don't need to, not because it can't be done.

Of course Kemper is very tweakable. Lots of less vocal (on the internet) people just prefer to play their guitars instead of messing around with numbers, Kemper enables this. Having good base (profile) is the key and (IMO) most factory loaded profiles are very good. This is the one thing (and how it feels) which (for me) makes Kemper amp much better solution than anything else digital.

IMO, Kemper amp is a revolutionary product, it's the same for guitar as invention of sampling for keyboard players. It's reasonably (for what it is) priced, available in music shops and has good support. No brainer for me IMO.

Personally I don't know how starting from a Kemper "snapshot" is different, or in any form superior than starting from pre-baked amp model. If anything, Kemper "snapshot" will give a much easier and faster start. We can also have virtually "infinite" number of snapshots and create our own ones. So, I'd think that Kemper may have slightly bigger chance to provide "exact view" (whatever that is).

BTW: I don't have time for fooling around with parameters (I prefer to spend my time playing guitar), but if I ever feel like it, I'll take a Fender Twin profile and tweak it so it sounds like a Mesa Rectifier amp. I am really confident I can do it.

just don't understand how a entry level product like the POD x3 can have a AWESOME editor... and not a product like the Kemper. Its a non-sense to me.

Small company with limited resources focused on getting fundamentals right before adding fluff vs big company with a lot of resources focused on making money, directed at mass market.
    I'd rather have Kemper with no editor than other product with an editor.

Personally, I could use a librarian at some point. Don't need an editor that much. But I can wait. I had my Kemper for 5 weeks and play maybe 4-5 profiles. My Kemper is not even near computer most of the time.

Back to topic, certain amps have less definition in some areas of fretboard, especially when pushed hard.
    I have at least one amp like that (it sounds brilliant otherwise) and you know what? Profile it and it's much more consistent (the profile, not the amp) no more choking on certain notes.

14 or so months without any editor/librarian has about defeated me, I hardly ever fire up the KPA any more because it's a horrible experience and life is too short for this kind of stupid knob twiddling behaviour.

Get your shit together, Kemper!

Try playing guitar instead of twiddling knobs?:)

What did you mean by this because I have heard this being mentioned before with ther equipment as well?
    When I use SPDIF into my RME I just set it to clock source - co-ax ....for output it has consumer/professional.....which is the one to select?

Kemper at the moment can only act as SPDIF master. So you sync all other hardware to it, in some studio setups it may be a major pain in the ass ;)

For instance, if you have a sound interface with SPDIF which you use to record a Kemper, you need to set clock source to SPDIF or external instead of internal (terminology may vary, but you get the drift) so it gets synchronized to Kemper.

Well, I am personally happy with about 50 profiles loaded, from which I use 2 or 3 per song at most (or even 1, due to Kemper amazing ability to respond to volume knob and picking dynamics)
    Sorting by amp helps a lot, so is sorting by gain, I by accident loaded whole Amp Factory pack 1 (which is a lot of profiles) when I got my Kemper and still could navigate them with ease,

If anything, the biggest problem I have with Kemper is not being able to slave it to SPDIF clock in straightforward way, which I'd expect from professional grade equipment. I think this also answers the question regarding USB out redundancy.

Anyway, let's wait and see, Kemper team is seems to be responding to user suggestions, so if it's technically possible there is a good chance they will implement it sooner or later.

You can sort profiles by amp, author, name, gain and filter them as well. The key is not to have 1000 of them :)
    I think usb audio would be a highly redundant feature, to be honest.
    AFAIK, pc editor/librarian is in the works.
    Other than that, I'd encourage you and every new owner to spend time playing with one or two factory profiles to avoid ear tiredness (which is very easy to get with kemper) - and many of them are really good. If you like a profile, press rig button and it will add to favourites. After a month or so you can delete all non favorites with one button.

I am really happy I got mine 3 weeks ago (from Andertons, I live around the corner). They are pretty much sold out now and next delivery is end of August... They had minimum 6-7 of them when I was buying, these things sell really well, no surprise here tho.