Posts by WillB

Do the test yourself because compressed files are useless for any kind of analysis. Use a clean profile without effects. Record wave files into a DAW. The differences are not subtle unless you are hearing impaired. Too bad 48k isn't an option. Recording: 48k vs 44.1= 48k superior HF. Too bad KPA can't be slaved to DAW vs. Master. In the future model please!

My initial listening of 2.6 is recorded at the top of page 7 and now I have spent some time playing/listening at length and to many different profiles/rigs (most were clean) so I'll add:

I initially listened and switched LFC on and off (obvious difference) and then I just played the guitar through studio monitors at a reasonable level in the control room.

My description is the KPA 2.6 sounds almost like a veil has been removed leaving a more transparent and smoother low to high balanced sound of the guitar/amplifier. Sometimes it is almost analogous (LFC On vs. Off) to standing nearer to the amplifier vs. across the room (and all of the rooms acoustical contributions). The ability to hear subtle changes while adjusting the variables is much clearer.

This added clarity allows the EQ adjustments to be easily dialed in if needed for tone. Very small changes are easily heard. It is also fascinating to adjust the amplifier variables and hear the changes thru the "unveiled" profile/rig.

Did I mention the inspiration that a great sounding "system" can offer to my playing?. Rig Manager is wonderful too.

My appreciation of the design parameters (and all the variables) in the Kemper KPA has increased dramatically. 2.6 is a significant improvement sonically.

Edit: Curiosity - What is the detailed technical description of the "circuit" implemented into the new LFC section? :?: :!:

Thank you very much Timo.

I didn't realize that after an adjustment in either (browser and performance) section it auto-locks those settings when exiting. Previously I had experimented with clean and distorted settings in Performance mode and they were left subtly different. I matched the settings Performance to Browser and they sound identical.

Thanks rreda too.

Perhaps it has been covered on the forums but I couldn't find it in search:

If I load a rig, listen to it and then load the same rig into a Performance slot why is the level in Performance much lower and/or sound different than the same rig in Browser? Both Volume and Master Volume are set the same and even turning up the Volume of the Performance version to match the level it doesn't sound the same as the rig in Browser mode. The Output settings are the same too. I must be missing something obvious!

Edit - PS: Using 2.6 and I don't remember this in prior versions but maybe I didn't notice it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

LFC: I would say the difference is significant but subtle at the same time... (I posted my listening experience on p. 7) and regarding posting a recording - a compressed audio file would mask the audible differences. Just install 2.6 and turn on and off LFC switch listening over studio monitors.

I use my KPA exclusively for recording (thru convertors because I work at 48k). I've found that quite often I have to really work at EQing the low end with something like DMG Equilibrium to remove the low end wallow that is overpowering if left in the mix.

I've just played a Strat thru some Profiles I previously made (of late 50's Bassman (2), Bandmaster, Super, Low Power Twin, High Power Twin - made w/ U-67 w/ 55 Strat) with 2.6 beta for the past hour and I am not hearing that low muddy blossom and above that area there is nice power in the warmth region. (Edit: I should mention that all of the profiles are quite clean.) Additionally I am hearing with LFC On (vs.Off) the Profiles giving me a much more balanced cohesive smooth sound overall. Quite remarkable. Even the effects (if used on the profile) sound better ie. reverbs more transparent etc I guess because the guitar signal is without baggage. (Edit: Monitors are nearfield Neumann A-310s).

Edit: All twenty profiles were clearly better sounding with LFC On.

I guess I'll wait for final release and try profiling again but what I am hearing with 2.6 beta is very nice.

Excellent work gentlemen.

I think we could discuss all new firmware releases in one thread, so all the information regarding bugs and beta testing will be in one place.
    After each new release, title can be changed to reflect latest fw number.
    I can also think of continuing th Djemass's thread about 2.4.0.
    What do you think?

Disagree strongly with one thread for numerous firmware releases.

The choice of OS for an application such as rig-manager doesn't matter that much, but musicians are likely to use their computer for other tasks where certain OS-characteristics are crucial for performance, reliability and audio-quality. For reliable audio (and video) processing you need an OS-kernel with proper realtime characteristics. I.e. that an application can be guaranteed near immediate access to hardware resources. Neither Windows nor OSX is ideal for the purpose, but OSX is a lot better than Windows. You can get reasonable results by throwing extreme high-performance hardware in the mix, but reliability still requires real-time properties. What is unfortunate though is that Kemper seems to have stumbled hard into that ditch also known as .net so. I'm afraid that support for other operating systems will require a complete redesign.

Facts? References?

Survey accuracy : I'm sure there are more than 300 KPA owners.

I have RM currently setup and working on a Thinkpad running Win8.1 and it works perfectly.

I've got a Surface Pro 2 coming tomorrow and I would like to "easily" transfer the entire Thinkpad RM data to the Surface Pro 2.

On the Thinkpad I see the RM data in: This PC/Local Disk/User/My name/AppData/Local/Kemper Amps and within that folder is the RigManager folder and within that folder is Backups and Local Library. Local Library a has a .repository file and all my folders that I have created in organizing my rigs. Each folder has a small .repository file and nothing else is visible even with view "hidden items" checked even though the folder information states there is >24M of data.

The AppData/Roaming has a Kemper Amps folder that is empty.

Can I install RM on the new computer and just copy the User/My name/ Local/Kemper Amps folder to the new computer for a complete transfer?

I got used to talking with Xbox One controlling my TV.
    When using W8 SR you can speak the three required statements fairly quickly to move to a different rig.
    At 120 bpi: "start listening" 3, 4; "move down three" 3, 4; "stop listening" and immediately play.
    Repeat as necessary. Of course the arrow keys still operate when doing quick scans for a rig.

I posted this in Tips/Tricks and it should have been here.

The other day I ran across information about Windows 8 Speech Recognition so I started the program and found it very good. By default it now opens and is available when I start the computer. When needed you just click on the microphone and it enters "listen" mode..

Windows 8 built in Speech Recognition software can be used to control the Rig Manager database instead of using the up down arrow keys. "Move up" and "move down" voice commands. While playing guitar it is so nice to just say "move up" the then next rig up loads.

The problem of course is that when the W8 SR mic is on (listening) it is listening to not only my voice saying "move down" but all other sounds including the guitar.

It is funny to see what words SR tries to make out of the guitar sounds.

W8 SR is pretty cool though.

For it to work you have to tell the speech recognition software to "move down" and then say "stop listening". This puts it into a sleep mode (sleep mode option - wake up with voice - must be must be enabled in the advanced settings other wise it turns off and voice won't reactivate it).

"Move up X" (X=say a number such as "move up 5" works. All of the Windows pull down menus can be voice controlled such as "Edit" (pulls down the menu), copy etc etc.

Now I can play the guitar and when want to go to the next rig I say "start listening" followed by "move up" (or down) followed by "stop listening". Not ideal but it works without removing your hands from the guitar.

For it to work you have to tell the speech recognition software to "move down" and then say "stop listening". This puts it into a sleep mode (sleep mode option - wake up with voice - must be must be enabled in the advanced settings other wise it turn off and voice won't reactivate it). Now I can play the guitar and when want to go to the next rig I say "start listening" followed by "move up" (or down) followed by "stop listening". Not ideal but it works without removing your hands from the guitar.

I probably should have put this in the Rig Manager section so I have.

Rig Manager: Hands free voice controlled rig changes with Windows 8 -

The other day I ran across information about Windows 8 Speech Recognition so I started the program and found it very good. By default it now opens and is available when I start the computer. When needed you just click on the microphone and it enters "listen" mode..

Windows 8 built in Speech Recognition software can be used to control the Rig Manager database instead of using the up down arrow keys. "Move up" and "move down" voice commands. While playing guitar it is so nice to just say "move up" the then next rig up loads.

The problem of course is that when the W8 SR mic is on (listening) it is listening to not only my voice saying "move down" but all other sounds including the guitar.

It is funny to see what words SR tries to make out of the guitar sounds.

W8 SR is pretty cool though.