Posts by Lokasenna

May be a daft question, but I'm going to ask anyway ;)

Is there any Drum software that can "listen" to a song and then replicate the drum track, or at least, determine where all the drum beats fall to make track creation easier?

You can do it manually in most DAWs with a bit of creativity. Create a few sends from your source track, EQ/process each send differently so it's only picking up the kick, or snare, or toms, and then use the audio from that to trigger a MIDI note.

From the Toontrack forum:

I doubt most people would be able to notice the drop to 16-bit, since the samples are all recorded using really clean gear.

Your programming ability is a big factor too - EZDrummer 2's fancy searching and sorting and "search for beats that go like this: ____" are really, really handy.

Incidentally, you can get less-processed sounds out of EZD by using the Original Mix presets. They're not raw, but they're much easier to do what you want with.

Are you using actual SPDIF cables, or just normal RCA audio cables? It's weird, but that can make a difference - I was getting crackles, and eventually couldn't get a reamp signal at all.

I was fiddling with a delay in front of the amp this afternoon and managed to get some pretty ridiculous glitches. 100% wet, no feedback, a bit of grit, I started adjusting the two flutter controls and it would give me short bursts of noise, and in a few spots the module completely cut out. Turning those knobs back to zero got me sound again.

I'll record an example if I can get it to happen again.

I'm pretty sure I experienced the same problem the first day the new delays came out. I chalked it up to "well, duh, that's what happens if you crank the delay time too short with the feedback too high", but some sort of safety limiter might not be a bad idea.

In my opinion everything is normal, yes.

For analyzing your bass, you can use your DAW's channel EQ like in the screenshots you posted earlier. I would record yourself just playing constant 16th notes on the low B for 30 seconds or so, then open the EQ press Play while watching the frequency graph it shows.

Thank you very much for that, 50hz it's very high, bass signal going more lower and I used only 5 strings basses.

- For what it's worth the AKG D112 and Neumann FET 47 - two well-known bass cab mics - have pretty much the same roll-off. See here and here. Odds are very good that any albums you like with a lot of sub bass were recorded with a DI.

- It's such a gentle roll-off that, as @Michael_dk said, you aren't really losing any content until around 35Hz. Incidentally, that's roughly your low B string.

- Have you ever looked at the frequency response of your bass in an analyzer? In my experience the second harmonic (so ~70Hz for you) is where all the beef lives. Sub bass extension is awesome, sure, but it's just helping out.

- Don't forget that the amp profile includes its own EQ response too, separate from the cab. Have a look at the thread in my signature; there's a PDF there with lots of handy pictures. Specifically, take a look at the Amplifier section on p18 - the red image on the right-hand side is as close to "flat" as that particular profile gets.