Posts by Lokasenna

I keep hearing that the guitar and pickups you use while profiling will make a difference... but they don't. Your guitar isn't even involved until you start refining, and that's just so the Kemper can hear how notes in a chord get smushed together in the amp. Different pickups will affect that a little bit, but at that point the profile is already 90% done.

...Right?

I agree that the current sorting method isn't very good, but this doesn't seem like an improvement - with your idea, a really terrible rig that lots of people have tried and rated as 1 star would look much better than an awesome rig that only a few people have tried and given 5 stars.

What about simply sorting by average number of stars, and then sorting *within* that by the number of users rating it. It would look like this:

5 stars, 200 votes
    5 stars, 100 votes
    5 stars 30 votes
    5 stars, 2 votes
    4 stars, 180 votes
    4 stars, 100 votes
    4 stars, 10 votes
    3 stars, 300 votes
    etc...

I suspect the Kemper is doing something like this:

- When Profiling, sending out different signals that are intended to capture different parts of your rig. One signal might be optimized for working out the preamp's distortion characteristics, one signal might be how the amp responds to different frequencies, one signal might be the power amp/cab response and impulse, etc.

- When you press Cab Off, it already knows which parts of the profile are mostly power amp and cabinet and which parts are the preamp, so it's able to leave those segments out of the equation when it's calculating the output from your guitar signal.

I've got the Kemper's Monitor Out running to my 6505's Effect Return and it sounds damn fine. One thing to be aware of though, depending on your amp, is that the Effect Return may be *after* the amp's Master Volume knob, which means the Kemper would be your only way of controlling the volume. Always start with the volume turned down, and remember to link your Monitor Out volume to the Kemper's Master knob if you don't want to be adjusting it on every rig.

Maybe a dumb question, but I want to make sure before I start buying things:

Got my Kemper yesterday, and right now it's running through a pair of 8" M-Audio Audiophiles on my desk. If I'm happy with the feel and "in the room"ness coming from them, can I expect a better pair of FR speakers (Probably ELX 112s or something similar) to have that amount of feel as well?

?( What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the UnO vs. Uno4Kemper if you're only using the FCB1010 with a KPA? How is the Uno different from the U4K?

Basically, U4K is like an automatic transmission, and UnO is manual.

U4K has two-way communication with the Kemper, so it can tell you what patch you're on, change around the lights to tell you what stomps are being used on each patch, and the number display can be used as a tuner. UnO is one-way, so you get none of those things. However, U4K only has a couple of settings for you to customize the board with (swapping which row is patches and which row is stomps, swapping the pedals, etc), while UnO will let you configure the board however you damn well want. You want one button to send three different patch changes on three different MIDI channels while also changing what your pedals are assigned to and adjusting the reverb mix? UnO will probably do that. However, it's a hell of a lot more complicated.

I don't know about profiling, but I've used the line out on my MASS Lite to run into impulses on my DAW and it sounds great. I think it might even have a speaker coil or something in it, so it's a better load for your amp than a big fat resistor. Not sure if the Hotplate is the same or not.

Go look at the editor TC Electronic put out for the G-System. That thing is chock full of bugs that can ruin all of your presets and require a factory reset - hell, even transferring your presets to and from the unit can mess things up, and they haven't shown any interest in fixing it for upwards of three years.

As much as it sucks to have to wait, I'd rather see CK give us an editor that's guaranteed to work properly.

Guitar --> Kemper Input

Add the Effect Loop block to your rig, putting it in one of the slots before the amp if you want to use the ME-70's amp/overdrive effects, or after the amp if you want to use the modulation and reverb stuff.

Kemper Effect Send --> ME-70 Input
    ME-70 Output --> Kemper Effect Return

A couple of things to note, however:
    - There's no communication between the two units, so you'll have to change patches on both of them manually.
    - As I mentioned above, you'll have to choose between either the drive or modulation effects on the ME-70 for everything to work properly. You *could* use everything before or after the Kemper amp, but the result won't sound or behave like you might expect.

You might want to look into selling/trading your ME-70 for something that can work with four-cable and/or has MIDI for communicating with the Kemper.

I can almost guarantee that the G-System won't be getting any sort of upgrade short of TC simply releasing a G-System II. The problems people tend to have with it, like the lack of flexibility, are 100% hardware combined with terrible software support. Don't hold your breath.

Regarding the Rack format with separated foot controller, the main reason is to protect the expensive (and functional) part of the equipment from the abuses of a tour situation.

^ This.

Now, if they could do what TC Electronic did with the G-System and make it one unit that you can take apart and stick in a rack, that would be pretty awesome. But the Kemper's a hell of a lot bigger than the G-System's brain, so.... probably not gonna happen.