Posts by TieDyedDevil

Make the startup much more faster . It s take 1 minute more or less and it's too much if something go wrong during a live

For faster start up ....just have less rigs ...

Slow startup has been the "elephant in the room" for a long time. There's no justifiable reason why a small computer in the twenty-first century should take over a minute to start up.

And just because there *is* a dependence on rig count doesn't mean that there *must be*. Think about it: if the KPA is reading *every* rig on startup, then that could be done *one time* and the pertinent data stored in an index so the work doesn't have to be repeated on the next boot. Hey, there's even a real-time clock: the Kemper could easily detect when the rig directory has changed and update the index accordingly.

Looking at this from the perspective of other "high-end" guitar processors: My Eleven Rack boots in 15 seconds. My Axe-FX boots in 7 seconds. (While I'm new to the latter, I understand that there were howls of protest from the user base when the AFX boot time increased *to* 7 seconds...)

On the other hand, I suppose I could buy a second KPA *and* a UPS, reserving the second KPA as a "hot spare" just in case I didn't want to wait for over a minute in the (thankfully, exceedingly rare) event that a glitch takes down the active unit. Hyperbole? Sure. For me it is. But I'm certain that touring techs lose sleep over scenarios like this... OTOH, never mind: if a touring band can afford a tech, they can certainly afford to pay for redundant hardware...

Seriously: fix the ridiculously long boot time. It's aggravating. Even a tube amp can be ready to play in eleven seconds.

I have to say that I am living in Thailand. Maybe it is important to mention. Any idea what causes the problems? Maybe it is just accidental that two devices broke down?

I dunno... I'm not familiar with electrical standards in Thailand.

I will say that the symptoms you've experienced (especially the burned cords and blown fuses/devices) suggest that something's seriously miswired. Not necessarily your rig, but perhaps the outlet into which you're plugging the power conditioner. Maybe a hot/neutral or hot/ground reversal...?

I'd get an electrician to check it for you...

Last problem to solve: how to display the rig name on the LCD just above each button dedicated to a preset?
    The rig name already displays on the big LCD at the top of the LF when I select a preset.

Don't hold me to this. My Kemper/LF+ rig isn't at hand at the moment...

I *think* that turning on the setting to sync FX names will also sync the names on the preset buttons.

Make sure you have the latest LF+ firmware.

IME, the button label sync is still not 100% reliable.

What exactly are you expecting? That 600 watts is going to be six times louder than 100 watts...? That's not how it works. Doubling the volume requires ten times as much power.

A SS power amp needs to have power in reserve for headroom: the difference between the average and peak program level. In my experience with modelers, a 600 watt SS amp ought to give about the same kick as a 100 watt tube amp.

Also, it's meaningless to compare the positions of knobs on two completely different amps...

Good solution ! and nice cost too ....so they'll cut about max 20dB off the signal ? Just though it would be a lot easier if there should be an on-board function that did this ?

They're switchable to -20, -30 or -40.

The nice thing about the Kemper is that the main outs are hot enough to drive just about any power amp. A lot of modelers can't do that; they max out at about +4 dBU.

It's a lot cheaper and easier to attenuate a too-hot signal than it is to boost a too-weak signal.

If you're using the XLR outputs, they can be extremely hot relative to mic levels.

My rack has attenuators inline between the main outs and my breakout panel.

I use Hosa ATT-448s because they're inexpensive and adjustable. IIRC, I set them to pad by -30 dB to get a level approximating a mic output given "normal" settings of the Kemper.

The CK side of things has already been mentioned in this thread. But I'll post it again for you:
    "The Refining process is actually independent of the type of your guitar. It is about adapting the distortion characteristics, as well as polishing the attack and dynamic response. The resulting profile will act and re- spond accurately no matter what guitar or pickup you use."

Thanks. I'm aware of that.

Still, we have users posting about all sorts of things: guitars make a difference; what you play makes a difference; whether or not you leave any space in your playing makes a difference; whether you exit profiling while the final note is still ringing out makes a difference... the list goes on.

On the one hand, we have the advice that neither the guitar nor what you play make a difference. On the other hand, we have users making all sorts of claims about subtleties...

Perhaps if CK told us a bit about what aspect of the input signal makes a difference as far as refining goes, it'd help to clear up a lot of confusion that still seems to surround the process...

lf+

-was wondering-have you had issues with the LF+ not turning on Kemper stomps consistantly?

I haven't experienced that problem.

I do have a problem getting the stomp names to appear on the LF+ display after power-up. For me, scrolling past the sync'd presets then back seems to clear the problem. Once cleared, everything seems to work as expected.

I've submitted a couple of trouble tickets to FAMC regarding Kemper sync. They have responded, acknowledging the issues and anticipating a fix in their next firmware update.

I love the FAMC LF+ 12+. I was one of their first customers for that product. I use the 12+ for both my Eleven Rack rig and my Kemper rig.

If I just wanted something to work with the the Kemper, I'd consider the FCB1010 with Uno4Kemper. The 1010 is a *huge* board, but it's pretty good physically. I had one before all the third-party EPROMS...

Before I switched to modelers, long before I adopted a Kemper, I was lugging well over a hundred pounds of gear. If that's not a concern for you, more power to you... :thumbup: As a 50-something musician, it was getting to be a bit much for me. ;( Yes, I did the roller cart thing and the hand truck thing; they're great for smooth level ground. Unfortunately, I didn't traverse much smooth level ground... :(

Personally, I didn't give up anything sound-wise, despite having retired some very good amps. I did give up the aforementioned back-breaking carry and a host of reliability issues and performance inconsistencies (e.g. the effect of AC line voltage on the amp's sound).

The Kemper is unique in that it takes content creation (in this case, the profiles) out of the hands of the vendors. Providing the ability for anyone with a decent mic and an amp to capture the amp's sound and behavior is ground-breaking!

When I bought the Kemper, the attraction was the availability of amp profiles that none of the other vendors would ever bother to create.

I didn't think that I'd ever create my own profiles. My first attempt convinced me that you can get good results with little effort. I've profiled a couple of my amps, and am happy with the results.

As I'm learning more about the Kemper, I'm getting used to the controls that let me alter a profile. It's really nice to be able to "tweak" an amp to my liking without investing time, effort and expense in new parts and modifications.

What's the goal? The Kemper is a tool. No more; no less. It has capabilities that none of my other musical tools possess. That's my only justification for having a Kemper.

The Kemper is not (and likely never will be) a universal replacement for my entire signal chain. There are some weaknesses and limitations. Some of my effects aren't reproducible by the Kemper. The learning curve is pretty steep and is not really aided by the English-language manuals. The start-up time makes the Kemper a risk for live performance in places where the power might glitch.

I've had my Kemper since July and it has been absolutely stable. Today I ran into some variant of the "sudden no sound" problem. A reboot cleared it. The problem has not reappeared. This thread is - from my perspective - for documentation only.

I had just imported five profiles from the exchange (AndrewC's Carr Rambler profiles; very nice, BTW!) and was auditioning them in Browse mode via the Last Imported view. I was not rapidly changing profiles, unlike other similar reports. I was using the <> buttons to change profiles; I played at least a few notes on each profile, so they couldn't have been changed any more frequently than once every few seconds. On one visit (not the first) to the fifth of five imported profiles, sound stopped and the tuner appeared. Switching to Tuner mode then back to Browse removed the tuner display, but didn't restore the sound. IIRC, the first four of the five just-imported profiles still had sound, but the fifth didn't; other profiles in other views also didn't have sound. Nothing appeared amiss given a cursory review of settings and indicators.

I didn't think to grab a backup specifically for purposes of reporting this issue, and deleted several of my own profiles before capturing a fresh backup. I have that backup and a backup from before today's import if that'd be useful.

BTW: this is firmware 2.1.1 8823.