Posts by meambobbo

good to hear - i think it only drops the Delay/Reverb, not other effects. Now, if you put Delay and Reverb in the X and Mod slots, I'm not sure if they'd get dropped or not. IE, I'm not sure if the mod setting drops the Delay/Reverb blocks, or all Delay/Reverb models in the Effects section.

I like the thought process. You should check out Maurizio's backup (see http://www.wikpa.org/Rig/Prese…ement#Maurizio.27s_Backup). He determined a good naming scheme that will organize profiles similar to how you describe, so that you can easily browse a bunch of different profiles for the same amp brand/model. And he made a fairly up-to-date backup file with most all the available free rigs in that format.

You can also order rigs by Gain currently, which sometimes comes in handy; but isn't as detailed as you mentioned.

Of course, the analogy to sampling makes me wonder about interpolation. When you are using settings that are between two snapshots, you would only have the option to (a) load the profiles of both of the closest options, then mix them equally, or (b) load the closest profile, then use the current EQ/Gain adjustments to get it to the values dialed in. Obviously (a) would require a next gen device capable of loading two profiles simulataneously, and I would think (b) would too if you wanted no audio drop-out as you changed settings.

Ultimately, I think this puts too much on the user. Either the profiling process would need to be done a large number of times, each time instructing the user to set the Gain/EQ to specified values; or users would have to enter the values for Gain/EQ they used for each profile.

The "Del/Rev Mix" (I also think it might be called "Del/Rev Balance"?) is located on the Reverb block.

At the middle position, Reverb affects the direct signal and delay trails equally, like a normal Delay -> Reverb serial path.

At full left, Reverb only affects to the direct signal, not the delay trails. So this would be like running a Delay and Reverb in complete parallel - neither affects the tone of the other.

At full right, Reverb affects only the delay trails, not the direct signal. This would be like splitting the signal before the Delay, setting the Delay mix to 100% and sending the Delay into the Reverb, then mixing that back with the direct signal from before the delay.

There are some implications. If you have Delay Mix at 0% and Del/Rev Mix at full right, you will hear no reverb, regardless of the Reverb's Mix setting. Likewise, if you have Delay Mix at 100% and Del/Rev Mix at full left.

And personally I LOVE this feature. That one parameter does so much considering all the splitting, routing, and mixing you'd have to do to get the same effect otherwise. I usually set the Del/Rev Mix a good bit right of the center. This allows me to turn the Reverb Mix up more than I usually would, so that the delay trails are a bit softer, like they are in real life. Along with the controls to center delay/reverb around certain frequencies, you can get very realistic sounding time effects.

Renaming the file I believe is meaningless to the Profiler. Hence a lot of rigs are called something like 2013-01-01 324234 - RIG NAME.kipr, but in the Profiler, you only see RIG NAME. There is a Tag Editor available. You'd have to change that data for the system to recognize it, but as mentioned above, the Profiler probably isn't going to load effects. You may be able to change the amp/cab though.

I have nothing myself worth profiling. All I've got right now is a Line 6 Spider Valve 1x12 I'm about to sell and a Pod HD 500. But I do intend to release some before/after tweaked rigs for all the artist tones I did on the Pod HD. So that's like with cab switching, EQ'ing, etc. And I want to post clips too. Give me time on that though. I don't have a lot of free time as is. I want to get the wiKPA transfer done first.

Gianfranco, cross-referencing will have to be on pass #2! We're getting there, though! :)

In response to the OP, boosting high-end distortion is what the treble booster is designed to do... by filtering bass and boosting the signal. In other words, there's no way for a treble booster to affect amp distortion tone without EQ'ing the signal.

So really what you seem to be asking is for it to boost treble a bit differently than the "Treble Booster" does. I find that tones can get really harsh on some amps when the extreme high end is boosted - > 3 or 4 kHZ. Also, the frequency where the boost starts and the width of the slope is important too.

My advice for now is to play with the Studio EQ - you will have more control over what exactly is being boosted and thus how your distortion will sound. I would use the high shelf with frequency around 1-2 kHZ and gain at 2-6 db. Then boost mids around 1 kHZ with the default Q and just a bit - around 1-4 db, just to get a bit more mids in there than the highs. And then use the other mid-peak to cut extreme high end. Set gain to about -6 db and move backwards from 10 kHZ to around 3 kHZ until you find the spot where the distortion is less harsh, then play with Q and gain.

It seems the one thing the Kemper can't profile is itself. Let's change that!

Once you have a profile, it is unfortunate you cannot:

• Mix it with another profile to create a multi-amp/multi-cab profile.
    • Add an OD or pre-EQ into the profile, freeing up Stomp slots for other uses
    • Add post-EQ into the profile, freeing up the X or Mod slot.
    • Add the tonestack EQ settings into the profile, so that the EQ'ed old profile has the same sound as the new profile with all-12-o'clock settings (useful when switching cabinets and requiring some extreme EQ'ing)

It may be difficult for the DSP to process the new profile while it is running the old profile, but thankfully, real-time performance should not be an issue in this case.

IMO, this would greatly enhance the versatility of the KPA. We know from Michael Wagener that multi-amp/cab profiles do accurately capture those sounds. One of the entire points of the KPA is not having to bring heavy gear all over the place. But to make a multi-amp profile from KPA profiles that already exist, you'd need 3 KPA's and a mixer - 2 for playback each profile and one to perform the profiling process! It seems a little crazy that to get a mixed profile with a single KPA, you need to have the real rigs in the same place at the same time, and you'd have to profile them all together at the same time.

As far as baking Pre-EQ or OD effects in your Stomp section into a profile, this would free up some Stomp slots for other uses. For instance, I can clearly think of examples where I'd want Compressor, Octaver, Whammy, and Modulation (although maybe not at the same time).

And we all know how valuable that X slot is. Imagine never having to fret over it holding an EQ, but instead using it as a boost, additional delay, a pitch effect, etc.

Lightbox, I think you missed MW's point about using the Kemper with multiple amps/cabs. In the interview he says he profiles those multiple amps at the same time, mixing them down at the right ratios before returning to the Kemper, creating ONE profile of multiple amps/cabinets. AND he says that the result is virtually identical to the original. He also says that once he's found whatever the sound he wants is, he commits to it; and that's why he likes the whole multi-amp/cab rig as a single Kemper rig - because then he's got that exact tone and doesn't want to go back and start playing with mix, or adding effects to one amp but not the other, etc.

I would still agree that such profiles isn't going to turn anyone into a 5 star chef, but it'd be a better tool towards getting MW's recorded sounds then if we just got MW's single amp/cab profiles.

sadness

I might try a few times and a few different ways just to see if anything usable comes out, but yes, I always thought the Profiler would be more likely to succeed with a dynamically adjusting send signal. I may record the send signal with
    * no return feed
    * the exact same return feed
    * the return feed of an actual amp model from my Pod HD

Just to see how differently the send signal is adjusted depending on what's being modeled.